bowlen

Windows 8.1

Yes, the Windows.old contains a lot of gunk that Windows 8.1 cleared up with various new bits. You can delete it but I'd rather not anyway.

To be honest, I don't see the big deal with the missing Start Button then Menu. If anything, the Start Menu was an overrated PoS that should have been consigned to the relics of UI management. But we're stuck with it now.

Finally finished installing my 8.1. I did it remotely so I am going to have to wait until I am back at home before I can continue

Just to confirm: space is saved despite the redacted folder? Start Button can be removed to clear up taskbar space?

Downloaded and installed on the work laptop! Nothing too special, but as uaual, a good idea to update!

Installed, restarted, blue screen twice, restored, failed install error.

Windows 8.0 it is then..

...noob

lol

-EDIT-

Noticed that the installation decided to uninstall my Avast...

Interesting!

Edited by bowlen

Downloaded and installed. It was pretty seamless. No problems as yet. However I have noticed, using the metro IE, the atomic forum page seems to load, and reload, and reload, and reload, till I stop it (just the main forum page though). Apart from that, there is nothing at this time.

UI-wise, there have been a few changes. First off, the background looks awesome compared to the previous version. The App tiles also have more colours now and looks more vibrant and sharper in front of the background.

Desktop-wise, there isn't much to say apart from the Window button on the bar. After getting used to the old metro UI, the Window button is sort of superfluous. You get multiple Window buttons if you have multiple screens, that's if you extend your screens.

Oh you get the desktop version of IE v11. Will post more as I find more things.

Yes, the Windows.old contains a lot of gunk that Windows 8.1 cleared up with various new bits. You can delete it but I'd rather not anyway.

To be honest, I don't see the big deal with the missing Start Button then Menu. If anything, the Start Menu was an overrated PoS that should have been consigned to the relics of UI management. But we're stuck with it now.

I like drop down/popup menus, they make navigation quick and consolidated when using a mouse. Touch is a different story, but we don't all run tablets.

I disliked the metro menu's search organisation. Example: typing printers gets 0 hits until you select settings in search. Apparently they fixed this?

I cant seem to delete mine :P

Other things I've noticed when I updated:

- Soundblaster was set to Headphone input when I updated without me changing it. Weird.

- Ramdisk stopped working

- Avast was uninstalled so had to update to the new one.

Ok how the fuck do you bypass the signing in with an MS account during the upgrade process?

I have gotten to the local account sign in but then it takes me to an MS account sign in which has no skip option.

/edit

entering a bullshit account seemed to work, but the sign in with a local account option is not really obvious on the login screen.

Edited by aliali

Couldn't find any option to get into windows without a online account.

How the fuck do you log into windows for the first time if you're not hooked up to the internet?

I cant seem to delete mine :P
Did you do a disk cleanup?

How the fuck do you log into windows for the first time if you're not hooked up to the internet?

See above. Put in a bullshit account and when it fails in very small text next to the microsoft login it will say something about logging in with a local account. Click on that and you should be able to log in to Win 8.1 with a local account.

I didn't sign in with a Microsoft Account. If it tries to get you to use one, you can press something like, sign up for a new account, then there is an option to just proceed with the local account...

I didn't sign in with a Microsoft Account. If it tries to get you to use one, you can press something like, sign up for a new account, then there is an option to just proceed with the local account...

Ye just did another PC and if you click on "sign up with a new account" there is an option down the bottom of the screen "keep using existing account" which actually means use the local account you already have on the PC.

installed it.

It broke metro apps that I've 'windowed' under ModernMix. Apart from that, situation normal.

Apart from the annoyance of having to reset a few settings, seems to have gone without a hitch. And yeah, gained about 15GB, give or take, on my system SSD. Nice to see it blue instead of red again <.>

Really like that the start screen now lets you 'show more tiles' (settings/tiles). Curious that you can now make the win+x menu give you powershell instead of the more typical command prompt.

I tried to install the 8.1 update and now I just get a message saying "Attempting to recover installation", then it reboots and keeps going like that in an endless loop. What should I do?

I think it fixed itself after a few reboots after a failed attempt at repairing it with an 8.1 DVD.

Edited by fajw

Clean updates on laptop and desktop so far. Had to updated my third party gadget util to get my ISP's usage meter showing again, but that's about it.

Looks like the laptop didn't gain any space back, but it's not on an SSD so don't particularly care.

installed it.

It broke metro apps that I've 'windowed' under ModernMix. Apart from that, situation normal.

And fixed today with a patch from stardock. :)