bowlen

Windows 8.1

I was using StarDock Start8 to bring back the Windows 7 start menu and the start button, but now I am no longer using it. I don't mind the start menu at all.

Well back to 7 for me. 8.0 install on new hardware, then an 8.1 upgrade and the problems started with screen freezing and laggy response to file browsing.

Also could not get my UPS software to connect to the UPS (yes it is supposed to be suitable for 8) + some other odd hardware issues.

I'm surprised 8 didn't work on your new hardware. We have 2 laptops and 3 desktops all which have been upgraded to 8 without a hitch. Hardly an extensive list I know. One is all new hardware and the others are from 2-4 years old.

One thing that is consistent, they are faster than when they were on 7.

I did a fresh install of 8.1 and now I can't use my sound card.

I did a fresh install of 8.1 and now I can't use my sound card.

Try and find the Windows 8 drivers for it. It's odd that it didn't use the standard Microsoft drivers for it.

My home machine didn't upgrade to 8.1. I am running 8, with relatively new hardware (Z68 mobo, i7 2600K, SSD, HD 7970 etc). Failed every time I tried to update. Even tried a completely clean install of windows 8 and then immediately upgrade. Still failed. Now, back on win 8, my monitors are acting weird - the middle monitor (HMDI from Display Port Adapter) turns off when entering games and that causes the side monitor (I run triple 27's) to flicker to black until I turn the side monitors off, then the middle off and back on, then sides back on.

Stupid win 8.1 - upgrade fine on my work Dell.

It seems I can't dual boot with Ubuntu.

The upgrade probably broke your boot loader. So you will need to look at the Ubuntu docs to see how to reinstall it.

I reinstalled it after I installed 8.1 but there was no option to use Ubuntu on starting up.

My home machine didn't upgrade to 8.1. I am running 8, with relatively new hardware (Z68 mobo, i7 2600K, SSD, HD 7970 etc). Failed every time I tried to update. Even tried a completely clean install of windows 8 and then immediately upgrade. Still failed. Now, back on win 8, my monitors are acting weird - the middle monitor (HMDI from Display Port Adapter) turns off when entering games and that causes the side monitor (I run triple 27's) to flicker to black until I turn the side monitors off, then the middle off and back on, then sides back on.

I had the same problem on my wifes laptop.

1. First i just tried to upgrade form her current Windows 8 install and it didn't work

2. Then i took a backup and did a clean install of 8 - then i jumped right into the store to update - Didn't work.

3. Then i just decided to install every single Windows update available on that clean install until there was nothing left. - Then it worked.

I read somewhere on Ms.com that you should have the latest update from Windows update for the upgrade to work. Not sure why it didn't work the first time though...

I forget what the update was, I think maybe dot net.

I came across the same thing on a fresh install, but found the update straight away on my main PC.

Would be nice of MS to actually have some information about updating instead of "Upgrade here." And then following the link.. "Buy Windows 8.1"

Instead I have to dig around for 5 minutes finding some random website to tell me wtf to do.

I came across the same thing on a fresh install, but found the update straight away on my main PC.

Would be nice of MS to actually have some information about updating instead of "Upgrade here." And then following the link.. "Buy Windows 8.1"

Instead I have to dig around for 5 minutes finding some random website to tell me wtf to do.

On my home machine, I clicked the "update here" button, then I came back later...and my machine was running Windows 8.1...

Yeah because you're machine would have been up to date with that certain windows update.

Yeah because you're machine would have been up to date with that certain windows update.

Ah yeah, fair enough. I always make sure I'm 100% up-to-date with Windows Updates.

Is there a way to create a clean install source, OEM-style, for 8.1?

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-576083...indows-8.1-iso/

I have not tried it but as one of my machines refuses to upgrade (app store just sits there spinning it's wheels, no error no action) I will be trying this soon I think.

I also did not have a microsoft account only a local. So the store was not able to work. Thought I had fixed that but no.

A lot of moans on the web about this way of upgrading, no ISO to use easily is hurting IT professionals who are doing a lot of PC's

Well that's a major hole in their update process, because one of the checks done during the update should be for dependencies and the like. To miss a bloody MS update is pathetic.

Well that's a major hole in their update process, because one of the checks done during the update should be for dependencies and the like. To miss a bloody MS update is pathetic.

Before the Windows 8.1 update came round, there were a bunch of Windows 8 updates that needed to be installed. I remember that was the case when I had to install all those updates before I went the upgrade route.

It seems odd to me that you can update from 8 to 8.1 at no cost but you need a separate 8.1 product key to do a clean install.

It seems odd to me that you can update from 8 to 8.1 at no cost but you need a separate 8.1 product key to do a clean install.

MS being MS?

I hate how they made a key during install a requirement again, it achieves nothing, especially when I just use a BS key and change it after install.

I just upgraded to 8.1 and now my sound isn't working. Everything appears to be in working order, just no noise coming out of the speakers.

Not a happy camper.

I had the same problem on my wifes laptop.

1. First i just tried to upgrade form her current Windows 8 install and it didn't work

2. Then i took a backup and did a clean install of 8 - then i jumped right into the store to update - Didn't work.

3. Then i just decided to install every single Windows update available on that clean install until there was nothing left. - Then it worked.

I read somewhere on Ms.com that you should have the latest update from Windows update for the upgrade to work. Not sure why it didn't work the first time though...

I read that if u dont have specific updates installed u cant see it in the store. I had that after a clean 8 reinstall. I installed the update and tried 8.1 again and it failed. Not sure if i had all the updates....

Liking it so far. Find it to be a bit more stable than 8 was on my system, though I need to activate the damn thing :-/