TheMojorising

Headphones for my Tv - pref wireless..

Hi guys

im currently looking for some headphones for my tv.. unfort its only got the digital optical output which doesn't appear to be all that common amongst headphones...

I've heard there are some adapters i can buy that might help me...or whatever.

does anyone have any ideas or recommendations

sorry bout the shitty format of my post. im on my phone. the forums...

I don't know much, but I did buy some wireless AKG K912 'phones quite some time back. Unfortunately, I got all sorts of interference, so they've been mothballed for now. So yeah, just be aware of interference if going the wireless route...

I bought this optical to RCA, been quite pleased with it. If you get a wireless headphone then the RCA line out doesn't require further amping (if you were to use wired, you need a headphone amp from this box):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-AU-Digital...r-/160966769913?

No experience with wireless headphones, though anecdotally the infrared ones are a pain.

*edit*

If you wanted an integrated optical DAC and amp, I can also recommend this one that I bought to use with my android tablet and xbox 360:

http://www.minidisc.com.au/headphones-earp...ier-p-2314.html

Edited by TheFrunj

Cheers for the suggestions thus far however looking at some of the pricing on the digital wireless headphones is a little overwhelming at the moment

so are there any corded headphones that can plug into a digital audio out?

Cheers for the suggestions thus far however looking at some of the pricing on the digital wireless headphones is a little overwhelming at the moment

so are there any corded headphones that can plug into a digital audio out?

I think you'll need something like TheFrunj's suggestion in his first link for a start

Yup, first step is to get a DAC to convert that digital (optical) to analogue.

You're in luck though, since 'onboard sound' is so common now, the quality is of the product, for TV, is hardly important.

The cheapest one will still be a realtek or SB type chip.

Now, for headphones you have a few options.

-IR is usually cheapest, but you need to be within range of the transmitter.

-FM is usually OK, and you can listen to radio without the TV on, but you're limited to FM quality audio (probably fine for TV). Another plus, is that if you wander the house, you only recieve static over your audio, as opposed to drop-outs; which IMO is quite preferable.

-Bluetooth is a new sort of standard for this, but the bonus is that there are a LOT of solutions, the headphones are usually comfortable, and the quality is high. With A2DP there shouldnt be much (if any); but you do risk some lag.

So,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Optical...ba20&_uhb=1

To This

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bluetooth-3-5mm...c791&_uhb=1

to This

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Blue-tooth-...c26b&_uhb=1

I find those headphones quite good, but there are better. They're unbranded Nokia A2DP ones.

Thats no worries. let us know what you go with; and how it turns out :)

Especially if you go bluetooth. I wanna hear about range and lag.

Thats no worries. let us know what you go with; and how it turns out :)

Especially if you go bluetooth. I wanna hear about range and lag.

I'm a bit worried when you say "lag" so your saying the audio will be out of synch with whats going on in the tv? I guess I don't really have a choice, it appears to be the cheapest option atm.

I live with Tantryl, who used to post here - he owns those headphones and says good things about them. I think I'll pick up a pair of them regardless for my phone anyway...

Nah, the preferance for wireless was there so i don't have cords laying about the room but if it saves more than a few quid I'm more than happy to keep it as cheap as possible especially with my new found hobby of making my own jerky being a drain on resources already.

I just order the Sennheiser RS 220 from EGlobalas they are just over half price what you get in Oz.

I did try them out first at Jaben and the sound was very impressive for a wireless headphone. I did try a couple of wired headphone for comparison such as the Sennheiser HD600,HD650 as well as Shure and a couple of other high end headphone and I found the RS 220 just as good if not better then some of the wired ones.

The added bonus of the RS 220 is its wireless, had pretty good coverage and allows for digital and optical inputs and outputs.

Hope this helps and I will update once they arrive and I have had a chance to try them out over a longer period.

Cheers

Edited by Ishta2000

BTW the Sennheiser RS220 are brilliant. I used them all weekend and they are very comfortable and the sounds is amazing.

I did have a slight problem that using a 3.5mm headphone jack from the Amp to the Receiver of the headphone would not allow any sound through. But when I switch to analogue it was fine. I think it might be the cable I was using so will get a new one and try again.

Definitely worth the wireless option though as I could put the headphones on and walk around the house with perfect clarity and great sound. No interference at all really.

no, 3.5mm will always be analogue, they're working as designed.

Unless you mean the amp isnt getting it FROM the reciever, in which case yes, you'll need an HDMI with ARC (audio return channel), so HDMI1.4 (with ethernet if you're bothering) $3 from MSY for the CableList ones, which are AMAZING quailty.