Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Google Nexus 5

I'll wait for updates then before thinking about it. I want a 1/2 decent camera and the N4 fails badly when it comes to pictures.

I'm gonna wait till my current phone dies before upgrading, but I'm hoping the HTC M8 / HTC One 2014 ed comes with an incremental revision of the 2013 phone's camera (plus better guts, of course).

The Nexus 5 seems really great for those who want lots of power but I've found my usage of a phone includes camera more often than not. And I've heard that the 2013 One works with my FiiO e17 Alpen via USB which would be nice, a feature I assume would roll over into the next model. Plus no SD slot is a big thumbs down.

It's just not gripping me.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-init...d-video-samples

camera looks pretty good compared to the HTC One.

For me, I dont care about daylight photos. Any recent camera can do good shots in broad daylight. It's low light performance that tells me how good a camera will be.

I like the widescreen aspect of the One, but the clarity in lowlight shots of the N5 appeals to me more than the blurry, (albeit brighter) shots of the One. I'm also a fan of the N5 HDR+ mode.

The problem with the N5 camera isn't that it isn't capable of good photos, it's that you have to set up the perfect conditions to make it happen. The camera is slow to initialise, slow to focus, and slow to capture. Great for completely still targets like landscapes, terrible for anything spontaneous. Google have said they have an update to solve this though, so we'll see. The hardware is certainly capable.

Can't believe their photo app is still so crappy. Wonder how much code they can steal from the motox now-separate camera app - I heard it made a lot of progress over similar issues.

The problem with the N5 camera isn't that it isn't capable of good photos, it's that you have to set up the perfect conditions to make it happen. The camera is slow to initialise, slow to focus, and slow to capture. Great for completely still targets like landscapes, terrible for anything spontaneous. Google have said they have an update to solve this though, so we'll see. The hardware is certainly capable.

I dunno. While I don't think the n4 was great at capturing those spontaneous moments, I've played with the lumia and HTC one and its not like they're perfect either.

Not getting a chance to see the actual images, but the N5 (compared to the 5s) looks... more dramatic? Not sure in a good way: more noise, more saturation, and maybe a lot wetter sound on the mic. Preferred the HDR on the N5 tho

With Android 4.4.1 on board, however, the Nexus 5's camera stops being a dealbreaker — it's not the best smartphone camera, but it's a camera you can use confidently and expectantly knowing that it will almost always deliver.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/5/5175568/...improves-camera

Anyone with the N5 have thoughts on this? Anyone updated?

The camera was the biggest detractor for me.

Upgraded to a Nexus 5 from a GNex.

Supremely better in almost every way, I love it.

There's only two things I don't like.

A) Battery life (pretty damn poor... today I got about 5.5 hours of mild use out of it).

B) Speaker location is bad... my hands tend to cover it when holding the phone sideways to play games, etc.

Otherwise, a pretty amazing phone.

Incredible performance, super smooth everything.

A welcome change from my ageing GNex.

I guess the camera could be a bit better, but I just make a conscious decision to take photos in a well lit environment just like I did with my GNex.

Speaker quality could be better as well, but that's no deal breaker for me... it's a phone, not a portable sound system. :)

Edited by Ezkaton

Try an app called JuiceDefender and let me know how battery changes for you over a week or so.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'll grab it now and see how it goes. :)

I charged back up to about 70% earlier... Back on 20% already and I've hardly used the phone.

Mobile data is off, WiFi is on... Nothing else running.

Usually screen, then Android system, then Google Play services.

With Juice Defender installed on 'balanced' setting, I'm only down to 69% (uhh huh huh huh... 69) after 5 hours of light to mild usage.

Battery Stats Plus might help identify apps that suck down power, run it at boot and it should give you detailed statistics on usage. The stats are reset when charged over 90% battery or phone rebooted.

Doesn't need root though the dev's name implies it might.

It does a similar thing to Wakelock Detector, just has a bit more info.

Another issue I found I have...

Hangouts being the new SMS app.

Is there any way to make it SMS ONLY? I hate that it merges contacts with Google+ and I can't tell if it's sending to someone's Google+ account, or by SMS after the merge.

I sent a friend a message earlier about DayZ on Steam and it came up with his full name as shown on Google+... then he messages me the same thing 5 mins later from his standard SMS contact and appears to not have received mine on his phone.

Grrr.

Hangouts is fucking annoying the shit out of me :P

I've been trying it out and I have nothing good to say about it.

- I find it slower than the regular messaging app.

- It's annoying sharing a picture cos you have to pick your google account first (I have 3 which adds an extra step wasting time).

- I don't know anyone that wants to use hangouts with their google+ accounts when we already have many ways of contacting each other.

- It doesn't have a message count.

- Swiping is annoying in that I've accidentally deleted conversations too many times while trying to swipe the right screen into view (I've quickly undid them).

- IT'S SLOWER TO DO EVERYTHING.

Oh Ez, get setcpu too.

then set the main screen to 'ondemand' and set max to the max, and min to the min.

I think you need root for it to work though.

- It's annoying sharing a picture cos you have to pick your google account first (I have 3 which adds an extra step wasting time).

- I don't know anyone that wants to use hangouts with their google+ accounts when we already have many ways of contacting each other.

- Swiping is annoying in that I've accidentally deleted conversations too many times while trying to swipe the right screen into view (I've quickly undid them).

Last night I discovered '8SMS', which is an app that's basically the stock ICS/JB messaging thing.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?...htyeightsms.mms

Last night I discovered '8SMS', which is an app that's basically the stock ICS/JB messaging thing.

Interesting. How do you find it better over the stock app?

I might consider it for the pop up as it means I can get rid of one other program I use for that.

Interesting. How do you find it better over the stock app?

I might consider it for the pop up as it means I can get rid of one other program I use for that.

I haven't actually tried it yet, I've been figuring out Hangouts so I can make a more informed decision on which is better suited to my needs. :)

But, many people out there are fed up with Hangouts and they recommended 8SMS, so I thought I'd pass it on!