Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Google Nexus 5

Usually I wait until the day of the announcement for these types of threads, however LG's security against leaks is monumentally dismal.

Today the service manual for the Nexus 5 leaked, leaving nothing to the imagination.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10/05/pu...hotos-and-more/

Specifications

4.95" 1080p display (IPS TFT)

32GB internal storage (other capacities not specified)

2GB RAM

MSM8974 aka Snapdragon 800 at 2.3GHz

8MP OIS rear camera, 1.3MP front camera

2300mAh battery

Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Compass, Proximity/Ambient Light, Pressure

Slimport compatibility

Micro SIM slot

Notification light

Wireless charging

NFC

Bluetooth 3.0 (We assume this is an error – Bluetooth 4.0 appears elsewhere in the document, but according to the last page it's still a draft.)

UMTS/GSM/CDMA/LTE compatibility

Posted Image

Posted Image

If this launches for the same price as the Nexus 4, we have another bang for buck smartphone on our hands! It's also worth noting that despite the larger display, the Nexus 5 is approximately the same size as the Nexus 4.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Oooh nice, I was wondering if it would have Optical Image Stabilisation, that's quite a high-end feature (as are the other specs).

Shame there's no mention of a MicroSD slot...

Presumably since it's the same chipset as the Samsung Galaxy Note III, it'll have LTE-Advanced (dual-band LTE) that Telstra is rolling out. Not 100% guaranteed of course.

Huh. Was hoping all the rumours of it being LG again would be wrong. Oh well. Let's see how the hardware/battery compares to the 4.

Oooh nice, I was wondering if it would have Optical Image Stabilisation, that's quite a high-end feature (as are the other specs).

Shame there's no mention of a MicroSD slot...

Presumably since it's the same chipset as the Samsung Galaxy Note III, it'll have LTE-Advanced (dual-band LTE) that Telstra is rolling out. Not 100% guaranteed of course.

Removable storage will never be included in a Nexus device going forward.

Removable storage will never be included in a Nexus device going forward.

Ugh that sucks. Don't they realise people want to actually store stuff? It's not as if storage is expensive, why not have 100GB phones and make storage a moot point? My Creative MP3 player from like 2004 had 32GB.

The idea behind having no removable storage in Nexus devices, is force you to use Google's cloud solutions.

It's actually because developers can't handle two storage pools and completely and consistently fuck it up.

I don't really understand how it could be fucked up. I don't know if I'm being naive or there are just a bunch of morons coding.

I don't really understand how it could be fucked up. I don't know if I'm being naive or there are just a bunch of morons coding.

Never underestimate the level of horrible programmers can produce. Look at the SD card of any well loved Android device and you'll see what I mean. "It compiles, ship it" isn't just a joke.

Looks spiffy... my Galaxy Nexus is still going strong and does everything I need a phone to do. Will be a good option if my current phone dies though.

Looks cool. I've got a Nexus 4 coming my way at the moment. Although the 5 is 'jizzworthy', I don't need all the stuff it offers. So I'm taking advantage of the $100 cheaper Nexus 4. (I'm going 8gig, because I actually do use 'google cloud storage'). $249. Due to arrive any day now. Conveniently timed too. My Nexus S just had a nearly catastrophic failure. If I wasn't an electronic tech, it would be catastrophic. (When you need a soldering iron to fix, it's not a standard fault)

AD

I think the problem with the Galaxy Nexus is that it uses an OMAP processor, which TI is not going support. Although you'd think they would have had the same issue with 4.3...

I paid $200 for a GN the other day to fix a bug in Lux. Such a piece of crap.

I wish google would learn to care about their camera's, Camera is shit on my nexus 4 and it seems terrible on this too.

It'd be nice if they weren't cutting so many corners to hit such a low pricepoint - camera, sound, etc etc

I read this article yesterday on the N5's camera, the site reckons it's okay:

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-init...d-video-samples

'course it's not in-depth and doesn't have any technical comparisons, but the images seem to be better than the N4 by a significant amount.

*edit*

Then I read this review, where they say it's pretty crap:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/5062724/...-nexus-5-review

So yeah, not a camera-focused phone to be sure.

Edited by TheFrunj

I have one in my possession if you guys have any questions. The camera is a lot better than the N4. The problem doesn't appear to be the hardware, it's the shitty camera software. HDR+ is pretty nice though.

Read somewhere it suffers from display refresh lag, ghosting etc. Any signs of that?

Otherwise just battery life impressions and such would be interesting.

Can't say I've noticed any ghosting, it's about the same as the N4. Battery so far seems to be mediocre. Which sucks, because I expect excellent battery life. Over 4h screen on time with Lux installed. But I'll reserve my final judgement until I get a few cycles out of it. Also I'm using 3G not 4G.