Sign in to follow this  
fabman_uk

Buy a new motherboard and CPU or water cool?

So a recent PC Authority article made me think, I haven't upgraded the motherboard and CPU combo on my main PC for a while now as it still works well. However I want more, for no reason other than I want more.

So I have a P7P55D-E Pro motherboard with a Core i5-750, with an aftermarket air cooler and my CPU runs at 4.01 Ghz. I have it stuffed inside a CM 690 II Advanced. I haven't looked at it in a while so I've forgotten the cooler name, I set it up nicely (I think) a while back then I just clean it now and again.

So should I just stick with this setup until a CPU motherboard combo impresses me (nothing I've seen) and buy the upgrade or replace my CPU air cooler with a water cooler that can allow me to overclock my CPU to say 4.2/4.4 Ghz and also cool my GPU so I can overclock it as well (7950)?

My thoughts are if I could buy a new water cooler and use it on a new CPU and motherboard in the future, then that surely makes it the better choice. If the chances are slim that I can re-use it, I should wait until the Haswell replacement pops up and look at getting a new combination then.

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/359738,...steam-deal.aspx

-EDIT-

Air cooler is currently: Prolimatech Megahalems with 2x Xigmatek XLF-F1252 fans for cooling.

Edited by fabman_uk

If you want just a performance upgrade, get the i5-k of any series higher and the corresponding motherboard. That's the best option.

Megahalems are more than enough if you only want performance, since the extra .3ghz isn't something you'll notice outside benchmarks.

Watercooling is insanely complex to describe everything to consider, but someone on OCN has finally got a mass producible all-in-one cooler mount for graphics crds, it will be out in a few months if that's what you want.

If you want just a performance upgrade, get the i5-k of any series higher and the corresponding motherboard. That's the best option.

Megahalems are more than enough if you only want performance, since the extra .3ghz isn't something you'll notice outside benchmarks.

Watercooling is insanely complex to describe everything to consider, but someone on OCN has finally got a mass producible all-in-one cooler mount for graphics crds, it will be out in a few months if that's what you want.

Thanks, I was thinking about it more. I think when I do upgrade, I'll try to make it silent. I'm pretty sure a water cooling solution isn't silent.

water isnt silent but with the right pump in a sound deadened case it can go very close and the loudest thing will likely be the hdd and wining electrical components

That is horrible news, I just orders my fan controller from them just weeks ago and a Y fan splitter. The sent the wrong splitter and sent me a new one free without me needing to return the old one. Ive bought all my water gear from them too, different fittings and water block. The customer service is top notch, this is extremely sad news if true. They have always returned calls on inquires and gone on the floor to check things, I hope they stay around.