maran67

Deus Ex 3?

Eidos have full creative control, Square apparently is assisting with CGi cut scenes etc. Oh and funding. Square seem to be more and more making a move on the western markets IDK if Eidos was a good idea. I think something more like Platinum games would have been a better independent dev if Sega didn't still have them on contract we will see however.

I remember reading a Dev interview saying he was using DE1 as a model for the game. Which is good but he would have to be stupid to say he was using DE2 as a model so it really could mean nothing.

More on my point about Eidos can anyone name a dev that has managed to let so many titles stagnate or die?

Commandos: At its time considered one of the best War strategy games ever made died due to poor sequels.

Hitman: Acclaimed 3rd person action / subterfuge stagnated due to poor sequel.

Thief: One of the first full 3d games to do stealth right, sound shadows, puzzles and most importantly atmosphere.. Stagnated and went away due to poor sequels.

Deus Ex: Number one is one of the most acclaimed games of all time for PC and still tops best games list on many gaming web sites suffered from piss poor sequel syndrome.

Tomb Raider: In the mid late 90's tomb raider was the 3D game everyone had it stagnated due to poor sequels other company's use this game as a model and are successful Indiana Jones (2002? - PC) Uncharted(modern consoles).

If they were able to retain success of their 1st editions in their successors Eidos would be one of the most valuable dev teams in terms of IP in the world.

Edited by Bundywow

I agree, but Eidos have gone broke more than once, so desperation to get a product on the market has lead to things like Tomb Raider - Angel of Darkness, Hitman: Contracts, etc. And I disagree about Thief getting poor sequals, 2 and 3 were both excellent, aside from the xbox syndrome of cruddy texture resolution in Thief 3. It's just a shame they didn't continue, but then I doubt Thief's sales justified funding in a tight economy.

But more on the Icarus metaphor, I was more looking at the literal. Icarus was a "character" in Deus Ex 1. In the trailer, we see a character seemingly at unease with his life, much like Skywalker, but somehow linked to the story of Icarus (the son of Daedalus, I might add).

You may be pleased to hear about Thief 4 is officially in the pipeline and yea its sequels weren't so bad but they were pretty much more of the same the xbox sequel was significantly different but it lost a lot of what made thief thief.

I'm sure we've all heard about Thief 4 by now, I think they have officially announced they're working on it (apart from the job page on the eidos website, written in the Thief font). I disagree though - the original was great for the period, but 2 and 3 were just as good. 3 made perhaps the best use of light and shade, and seeing the thief world come alive with specularity and bump mapping and the like was fantastic. The only thing that ruined it was the AI

Edited by Mademan

E3 trailer has been revealed.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/06/04/video...n-game-footage/

I was actually grimacing another game but I have to admit I'm somewhat blown away, it's pre-rendered though but damn I love the tone, it still means jack eh.

Download 1080p version.

EDIT:http://media1.gameinformer.com/media/video/2010/deusex3/deusex3firsttrailer/deusex3.mp4

Edited by King_TriTAN

Manta, you do realize Square have nothing to do with the game's direction OR art direction?

Or are you one of those people that think publishers are developers?! (Like all those morons that say OMG EA SUXXXx0r when DICE release a shitty Battlefield patch).

I do. It was a wisecrack.

no you don't, stop lying to the internets right now.

any way

now the first thing that has me with any hope of this game is how awesome batman Arkum is, now with the trailer showing a lot of hands on combat will it move away from being FPS or can they pull all that off.

second thing I fear the smell of the console port, which will upset alot of if not the whole PC community on this one.

fingers crossed.

second thing I fear the smell of the console port, which will upset alot of if not the whole PC community on this one.

Hopefully they've learned from their mistakes with the second one and won't do that again. Most of the things that made the first one great they got rid of in the name of trying to make a few sales on consoles. :(

any way

now the first thing that has me with any hope of this game is how awesome batman Arkum is, now with the trailer showing a lot of hands on combat will it move away from being FPS or can they pull all that off.

fingers crossed.

Your example Batman was primarily a console game.

I actually hope you are wrong about combat being anything like Batman at all.. I hope they approach combat like they did in Dx1, diversity which would generally mean they lean away from pre animated special attacks and more towards generic weapon based attacks (that meld with different augmentations) and look for some really solid Ai and hit reaction on NPC's.

Edited by Bundy

They need to make this game as consoley as possible. It seems to be the rage here.

With this and a possible HL release this was one exciting day for video games.

Edited by King_TriTAN

With this and a possible HL release this was one exciting day for video games.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement, its a sign that there is a god who loves gamers lol. Edited by nesquick

any way

fingers crossed.

I actually hope you are wrong about combat being anything like Batman at all.. I hope they approach combat like they did in Dx1, diversity which would generally mean they lean away from pre animated special attacks and more towards generic weapon based attacks (that meld with different augmentations) and look for some really solid Ai and hit reaction on NPC's.

and probly the only console game that ported with out being broke unlike the list of others.

and you clearly like only like reading what you want to read, I used batman because it has a solid melee combat system and if they can move it into Duse Ex while staying a FPS then you will have a solid game.

think Avp's trophy kills for the melee combat side of things

the trailer shows a more melee based game

Well his point about ports is on another line with the word secondly showing that this reference to batman wasn't one about ports but about game play.

I know exactly what he means with melee moves and I hope that isn't in there. You are the one who didn't read my post correctly.

I don't see the need for a post like yours in a thread purely about opinions on how you want a game to be, if you don't agree with my ideas fine, you can't say I'm wrong and that I only disagree because i "clearly" read his post wrong (which I didn't) I am stating what I hope for the game and it differs from The Manta, I don't have a problem with that I just have different hopes for the game than him, and you perhaps.

I saw the trailer and there is crap loads of melee, but also the trailer here dons't necessarily represent the game play especially that he is doing things like counters and blocks which are rarely in games and punching through walls to get someone on the other side you can almost guarantee that wont be in the game. .Why did they do it then? Well its likely that because Deus Ex is 10 years old now chances are a majority of the audience wont have played 1 and 2 wasn't well received, they needed a way of showing something about augmentations melee is the best way to do that as you can demonstrate physical strength superiority easier than just some dude shooting accurately any newcomer can see that video and understand he has some sort of physical upgrades and gets a grasp of one of the dynamics of the game.

I do think melee will be pushed harder but I sincerely hope there wont be I hit kill style buttons or unique lock into animation style attacks, I would prefer weapon based attacks that scale with augmentations and the animations or enemy's respond procedurally (so to speak).

Holy shit, man! That's a huuuge promo vid.

Downloading now.

Edit: Later: Ok, so that's the same vid as was in the post in News yesterday - only much, much larger and without the artefacts.

I definitely have a hardon for that game.

Edited by Cybes

Deus Ex 3 trailer is very nicely done, I hope the game does justice to the trailer.

Can't wait!

any way

fingers crossed.

and probly the only console game that ported with out being broke unlike the list of others.

and you clearly like only like reading what you want to read, I used batman because it has a solid melee combat system and if they can move it into Duse Ex while staying a FPS then you will have a solid game.

think Avp's trophy kills for the melee combat side of things

the trailer shows a more melee based game

IMO any sort of RPG game should be played in 3rd person.

3rd person is universally shit. At least rear camera 3rd person is, which is what I guess you mean since top down/isometric isn't appropriate here.

I just like being able to see more of whats around me.

Didn't need it in Deus Ex, doesn't need it in Deus Ex 3.

Seriously, they really need to go back to their roots for this, Deus Ex 2 failed miserably, the game felt much too linear and any choices you actually got to make didnt really mean anything.

Deus Ex was and still is a great game and if it ends up with 2 sequels that aren't anything like it...well I might just kill myself.

Seriously, Just remake Deus Ex and Call it Deus Ex 3, I wont care.

Here are some scans for the game and an interview with the developers, so far I like what I'm hearing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...hreadid=3278576

If they're making a prequel and giving it the same name as the original then there have to be elements tied to the first game like having varied ways to approach missions, political intrigue, realistic characterization and a a paranoia for secret organizations, the feeling that your character is discovering the truth beneath conspiracies and secret agencies.

This for me is what makes Deus Ex so excellent that it had a blend of elements that appeal and hit hard to the true gamer.