Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
maran67

Deus Ex 3?

I was feeling nostalgic and perhaps even a little forgiving (I must be getting soft in my old age..) and decided I'd give Deus Ex 2 another whirl. After all, it can't be as bad as I remember...

Can it?

So I get to the menu screen, ok this is a little clunky. I'd probably have a little more ease navigating it if I picked up the xbox controller behind my keyboard but it's not like you stare at it all the time... ok I was about to let this slide but I suddenly had the UT3 menu screen flash before my eyes and how much a woeful user interface designed for a console was sloppy and irritated you every time you tried to change an option or find a game.

Ok, into the game, overlooking the dated cgi and graphics and into the game. Time to start picking up everything I can lay my grubby little, nano augmented hands on I can find. Open up the inventory and that bad ui is still there. Hmmm, this is a really badly layed out inventory. Sure it's nowhere near as bad as a certain Mass Effect but navigating around and swapping items in and out of the 'hotkeys' feels like something I'd have better success with if I just picked up the xbox controller after all.

Sacrilege using a controller on a pc for an fps I know...

I do it anyway. /shifty eyes

It doesn't work, back to the keyboard and mouse and hope that nobody saw me do that.

I'd make some comments about selecting items and scroll wheels, but that'd probably seem petty at this point and I'm not a petty person. Much...

Time to start exploring the world. Why do I suddenly feel so claustrophobic? These hallways sure are pretty tiny, I don't recall the first one being so enclosed. I remember running around giant, broken down statues, through giant research complexes and sprawling city streets. I get to the elevator, hear the cheesy elevator music and flinch away from the computer. Calm down, it's not Mass Effect, you'll be fine. I reach over and press the button and... Oh right. Joy, a loading screen and I've only gone ten feet. Ah I remember now, I get to see these tips more often then commercials. Thank god consoles are a little more advanced these days and hopefully this sort of shit won't happen again.

Ugh, I knock out two people and I've already been rewarded with not one but three nano augs. Oh and look they go in whatever slot I want. Instant gratification at the expense of exploring and finding these rare things from the first game. So much for steady character development too, I feel like I've just dinged level twenty. Wait no, they let me get two rooms over before they let me pick a lock for an illicit nano aug. I'm so awesome at this game.... I think I'll stop playing now.

I'm sure somewhere along the lines I posted my thoughts on this near it's original release and I'd be interested to know how closely they resemble my current thoughts so far down the track, but either the archives suck, I named the thread something really random or I'm imagining the post.

I was feeling nostalgic and perhaps even a little forgiving (I must be getting soft in my old age..) and decided I'd give Deus Ex 2 another whirl. After all, it can't be as bad as I remember...

Can it?

I played DX1 to death. I played DX2 to finish - once. You can decide for yourself what I think of DX2.

Same, I played Deus Ex so many times, though I only managed to finish it once, without being halted by an epic computer fail, or an in-game glitch. Deus Ex 2, I played it once, then stuck it on the shelf, and threw it in the bin after a clean out. But I am a bit worried about Human Revolution. It just looks too much like a sequal to Invisible War, with how advanced everything looks. That was my biggest issue with Invisible War - the future world felt too disconected from reality, whilst Deus Ex really drove home the concept of how the issues facing the world now, would result in a horrifying world of tomorrow, if left unresolved. It felt grounded in reality.

I played DX2 to finish - once. You can decide for yourself what I think of DX2.

You were not worthy to play it a second time?

I've never played DX2, the 85 was a quick sign that something wasn't right so I never touched it.

I will wait for reviews I think, while it does look awesome its a bit of an unknown for me whereas like portal 2 to me is a given that it will be awesome.

So I was at the mana bar last night and got to watch in game footage. Looked pretty awesome with the take downs and the gun fights were cool too.

Graphic's wise it didn't look very nice but they said it was the same version that all the media had seen and what was at E3 2010 so I hope there is a fair bit of improvement there.

Alright long time no see. I've just finished playing the beta and all I can say is that im impressed. Just pre-ordered. :)

Can you post some screens from the beta, is it a leaked build? I'm more concerned for the storytelling in DE3, in my opinion DE1 was engrossing for the way it meshed story telling and role playing, DE3 does not imbue me with confidence.

Edited by King_TriTAN

Can you post some screens from the beta, is it a leaked build? I'm more concerned for the storytelling in DE3, in my opinion DE1 was engrossing for the way it meshed story telling and role playing, DE3 does not imbue me with confidence.

Eidos are happy (in a loose kind of way) for people to grab this leaked build and have a play of it, with the caveat being of course that it is a leaked press build and thus buggy and incomplete.

FWIW, I thought it was fucking wonderful and hearkens back to DX1 just beautifully. Well worth your time to grab. Went from a speculative pre-order with cautious optimism to OMFGCANNOTWAIT hype, which may yet turn out to be a bad thing :D

(Hold down shift while launching the exe to fix any brightness issues to might experience too).

Had a little play earlier.

Deus Ex is my favorite PC game, and has been since I played it in 2001.

The good:

Right from the get-go, the music, the sound of the characters voices... all made me feel somewhat nostalgic.

The smooth look of the graphics and the colour palette reminds me more of Metal Gear Solid 4 than anything. But...

Once I got augmented and got my HUD, I felt at home, so to speak.

This was Deus Ex.

Playing how you like, talking to people, getting information, searching bodies, moving them out of sight... it has the classic DX quickslots on the HUD.

Easy to navigate menus, etc.

The bad (to clarify, nothing game breaking -- just little things that bother me slightly):

The shooting is a little more FPS styled, rather than skill-based like the first game (from what I can tell from my short play so far).

The cover system works similarly to well, basically all games with a cover system.

What you'd expect, really. Personally I am very tired of this whole 'cover' thing. Crysis 2 implemented a nice cover system while keeping the first-person viewpoint. It would have been nice to see something similar here, but Adam Jensen looks kinda cool so I don't mind seeing him from time to time.

The mouse movement feels faster horizontally than it does vertically, and is a little too sensitive horizontally while being too unsensitive vertically, even on 3-4 bars (out of about 20 or something).

I can't seem to find a good compromise yet, but I have barely fiddled.

The anti-aliasing and some textures can look pretty bad.

Otherwise it's pretty great!

The mouse movement feels faster horizontally than it does vertically, and is a little too sensitive horizontally while being too unsensitive vertically, even on 3-4 bars (out of about 20 or something).

I can't seem to find a good compromise yet, but I have barely fiddled.

The anti-aliasing and some textures can look pretty bad.

Otherwise it's pretty great!

I've heard the mouse input issues are related to various technical issues behind the scenes - something to do with the 'auto' setting in the aspect ratio. Certainly nothing that should be present come demo/final build. And yeah, the aliasing and textures are (the hair, OMG the hair!) a bit ordinary in places.

I agree with that, the hair can be pretty horrendous... it doesn't bother me much though.

If the gameplay stays interesting and fun, I will completely disregard the graphical flaws.

I'll try manually setting the aspect ratio to 16:9 and see how it affects the mouse movement, thanks for the tip.

Can anyone post screenies, video?

I might fraps some tomorrow night man. Why not just go get it?

I'd do it now but I'm lazy, about to eat, and want to play more instead of sitting around making and uploading videos before I go to bed... :P

I'll get you some. I'll just do it via xfire so I dont have to worry about converting and uploading to youtube.

Hmm, that is, assuming xfire works in game.

It doesn't. Xfire only works on supported games -- which doesn't include leaked betas. :P

Your best bet is Fraps or Gamecam, throwing it into Windows Movie Maker or something more 'professional' and then upping to YouTube.

Uploading a few minutes of gameplay now. Was hard to play as it seems to have a bug with FRAPs that drops it down to 20fps.

Keep an eye on my youtube channel, it should be up in the next hour or 2 in 1080p.

Fraps worked pretty well for myself... 60fps most of the time.

Are you running the standard .exe, or the win7 one?

I also find that recording with the settings, 60fps 'half-size' on Fraps is much smoother... it doesn't look AS nice as proper 1080p, but still decent.

Uploading a few minutes of gameplay now. Was hard to play as it seems to have a bug with FRAPs that drops it down to 20fps.

Keep an eye on my youtube channel, it should be up in the next hour or 2 in 1080p.

Great video, thanks for sharing.

Posted Image was my favourite part :P

I still don't like the 3rd person cover mechanic, gives the player an unfair advantage (can be pressed up against cover, but you can still see around the cover). I'd rather it stayed in 1st person, or failing that, the 3rd person camera should be locked into facing approximately where your character is.