Sign in to follow this  
AccessDenied

RIP Chopper Read

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-09/chop...ad-dies/5012244

One of Australia's most notorious standover men and self-confessed hit-man Mark 'Chopper' Read has died.

The 58-year-old had been diagnosed with liver cancer last year. It is believed he died at 4pm (AEDT) in Royal Melbourne Hospital.

--------------------

At the end of the day, what he did was hideous crimes. However, I have respect that he did an amazing rehabilitation.

It gives you hope that sometimes the system does have a positive impact on someone.

AD

Yeah,

Just saw it, I suppose some will mourn, there was an Atomican that knew him, didn't have a lot of time for him, even after he went through rehab.

Cheers

In a sense he contiued to live on the procedes of crime thanks to books, appearance money and the like.

But as far as crims go, he was different. He had a certain character and sense of humour about him.

He also had a sense of justice, with his own crimes he'd often target those he knew had gotten their wealth in a dishonest way - not that it excuses a crime. I remember reading him commenting on meeting Martin Bryant when in custody in Tasmania, more or less he just wanted the 5 minutes alone so he could dish out a bit of his own justice on him.

Born in the mid 50's to strict Seventh Day Adventists sort of explains his ears or rather, his lack of ears.

I hope his rest is peaceful.

Tom who ?

Is it wrong that I'm waiting to hear Tom's input on this?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing too actually ... I wonder how Tom is going now days.

It's interesting isn't it. Chopper was a repulsive man for what he did, but when you consider that jail is *meant* to be about rehabilitation (It was the biggest reason for discontinuing the death-penalty in many areas), you have to respect him for changing as he did. Did he profit from his crimes? You betcha. But what do you expect him to do? It's who he is. He wrote about himself (sorta). What is he going to write about? Fairies? He wrote to what he knew, and stepped out of crime and into writing.

AD

It's interesting isn't it. Chopper was a repulsive man for what he did, but when you consider that jail is *meant* to be about rehabilitation (It was the biggest reason for discontinuing the death-penalty in many areas), you have to respect him for changing as he did.

good riddance.

Gotta admit, I'm kinda half-way between both of those statements. I think I'd have to modify AD's by saying it's the rehabilitation I admire - not the man. I never met the man, but everything I saw of him he came across as a thoroughly detestable individual.

Lionising crims and thugs seems to be something of a national trait... If anyone can explain to me how a drunk sociopathic murderer and thief gets to be a national hero I'd be delighted. (I suspect most people who do that have no idea what Ned Kelly actually did - they just know the "Fuck the PoPo!" legend.)

It would be an utter guess Cybes, but I think many, many people chafe so much under the ridiculousness of our society that an anti-hero is something they can relate to.

Cheers

I forgot to post this time last week - they had his confessional interview on 60 Minutes last Sunday.

He was looking mightily jaundiced - liver probably on it's last legs at the time of interview. IIRC it was filmed less than 3 weeks before he died.