Sign in to follow this  
peter_4059

Pulled the trigger R9 280X

Stock hit the shelves this afternoon in Brisbane so I've pulled the trigger. Unfortunately too late to pick up today but should have it tomorrow afternoon. Despite the price premium I've gone for an ASUS Matrix Platinum R9 280X. Can't wait to try it out!

Next question - currently have ATI CCC 13.9 installed with Sapphire HD7870 OC. Should I be un-installing CCC and starting from scratch with ASUS install software? There doesn't appear to be any Sapphire specific software installed on the system. If uninstall and start fresh is the way to go, any suggestions on the best way to do a clean uninstall?

Cheers,

Peter

I'd probably recommend you get the latest Catalyst drivers over on AMD's website instead of the ones on disk. Usually the disk versions are hacked Catalyst to recognise the new cards but may be older drivers. Definitely get the newer Catalyst betas as they are recognised for your new card here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/P...ndows-beta.aspx

Also, uninstalling should be easy by just uninstalling from the Control Panel. If you are pedantic about it, do a driver sweep then reinstall.

Edited by sora3

Got it all going now. I've noticed the driver for the on-board graphics is now reporting a problem in device manager however this doesn't seem to be impacting performance and the black screen issues seem to have disappeared since installing the new card. Very happy with the performance - from memory it is about 50% higher frame rate on Heaven using same settings compared to the 7870 OC.

Congrats on your purchase. How did you find in game performance compared to your old card? What are you going to do with your 7870?

Here are the AMD recommendations: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/P...ATIProduct.aspx

It's generally suggested that you obliterate any trace of your old video card. Last time I even went thru the registry but I don't find that this is necessary.

Liking the new card. I've been updating the drivers as new ones get released (and un-installing the old ones first).

Planning to sell the 7870 but haven't got around to it yet.

Anyone hear anything on when the TAHITI XTL revisions will hit Australia?

They seem to draw lower power, something im keen on with a 4 card setup.

Especially with only a 1250w PSU. Even then I think im going to have to confirm a brand that's volt unlocked so I can under volt.

i ordered a Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Boost OC 4GB today for 300bucks, seemed like a pretty good deal. It came out today too.

Now i have to find a home for my old 1GB 6800.

I only just recently re-installed windows and stuff. Hopefully i dont have any problems installing the new card, il follow some of the hot tips in this thread.

Edited by xnatex