Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
cohmoddersolo

setup RAID and SSD Cache?

Just got a 60gb Vertex 2 and would like to setup a RAID 0 between 2 500GB HDDs and have the Vertex as a Cache for that RAID.

Is this possible and if so, safe and reliable?

edit: I realized this should probably be in the Optical & Storage sub-section. Sorry mods, feel free to move this.

Edited by cohmoddersolo

what mobo do yo have.

I have only seen ones with some intel smart thingy do the cache SSD. it was easy, set up the drive set up the SD, tell it to make a cache drive.

so have look how you set up the 2 HDDs as a raid. many Mobos will have a feature to set up 2 drives as a raid with a few clicks.

Doubt it can be done because to use Intel's SRT (caching) you have to have the sata controllers in raid, but you do not set up a raid array, the software takes care of it.

However why not give it a try?

Connect the two HDDs and the SSD to the same sata controller, boot to the bios enable raid and create the raid 0 array. Install windows, install the intel srt software and see if the software will allow you to create the caching system. Note you need a mobo capable of srt (check manual or manufacturers web site).

Safe and reliable? Mmmmmmmm not with raid0 it ain't.

Motherboard's a Z87 Gryphon. I really dont want to reinstall my Windows 8 again as Ive painstakingly personalised it to my likings over time. So it seems like Ill just move my Windows installation to the SSD and leave my hard drives as data volume. Are there any tools out there that would help me move windows to another drive?

Acronis true image boot cd can clone drives easily, should be able to find your self one of these.

Norton ghost does a good job too, although it's not as simple for first time users.

if you can get the raid0 via bios tools

acronis could clone to any drive. becasue in the OS the raid0 is a single drive volume.

I too would endorse Acronis.

As aliali points out raid0 is as reliable as the least reliable drive int he group.

you could also trump it all with a sata3 ssd in a few months of saving and acronis your OS on to that.