Sign in to follow this  
Ishta2000

Home NAS solution please.

freenas might not be as bad as i thought, but I personally still probably wouldn't use it. my n40l also hosts a minecraft and a wow server for example. well, it did but then I moved it to my cloud server, but I like the options to do whatever I want, not whatever is supported.

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php...nes-Setup-Guide

Edited by p0is(+)n

Hi M_S and Poison, thanks for the replies.

I had a read of Poison's link above tot he Setup Guide and to be honest I found it very confusing as I have no idea what all the commands are! Is there an easier way to setup the server and drives?

Cheers

He's spooking you man, dont stress.

If you want to install full ubuntu, its a simple as right click, share.

If you go freenas its as simple as using a web interface, like a router.

Dont worry.

HI MS,

Another quick questions for you. I purchased a low profile USB 3.0 PCI-E card to install in the server. Do you know ifs its pretty easy and straight forward or is it complicated?

Cheers

HI MS,

Another quick questions for you. I purchased a low profile USB 3.0 PCI-E card to install in the server. Do you know ifs its pretty easy and straight forward or is it complicated?

Cheers

It should be a case of disconnecting the cables on the mobo, sliding it out. putting the card in, removing the pci bracket cover, and then sliding the whole thing back in. Really simple.

It can be a bit fiddly getting all the cables back in, but that's about it.

Just like in this pic:

Posted Image

Cant say ive had to have the mobo out on a microserver. I have a full size tower case for my server (13HDD).

But I'm pretty sure poison has already covered it :)

In micro servers, the motherboard tray normally slides out and in.

Looks pretty easy; even for a novice.

Thanks guys for replies.

I was watching some of the FreeNAS videos and I was getting really confused by all the options and things you have to do to enable half the the features of FreeNAS. I can probably sit and watch the videos while I actually setup the server but I feel like its going to really push the limits of my PC knowledge.

Do you know if FreeNAS allows me to just put all the movies, music and photos onto the hard drives in the server and then I can access it from all PC's on the network without adding in all the plugins etc?

Is Ubuntu more user friendly without having to go through half the procedures?

On another note all the videos I watched last night said that if your your going to use ZFS then you need a minimum of 8 gig of RAM. Now I need to go out and buy some more RAM but from my google searches I found that not all RAM work with the Server. Any ideas on which RAM is best?

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers

I'll bottom line this for you, because we have a lot of storage gurus here, who like doing it 'the right way'.

ZFS is amazing, its featured, it has security, reliability, and after an initla steep learning curve (its a short one though), its amazing.

HOWEVER.

It is a completely different way of thinking, and is frustrating as hell to learn if you dont have 'that mindset' needed.

ZFS likes ram, but it doesnt need it. I ran my 10TB server on ZFS with 2GB; since its a single user workload I didnt mind it 'being slow'

I tried all sorts of junk to keep my data. From RAID5 to ZFS to.... everything. I went back to old fashioned 1 HDD does a synchronise to another HDD each night. It was frustrating for a single home user to have a corporate solution.

People attack me for this decision, but its the simple one, and since it only syncs nightly it gives me 24 hours to decide if I REALLY wanted to delete that.

If you want the NAS to act an more of an appliance, FreeNAS is the way to go. I never watched videos or guides, its all wizard driven and stepped me through it just fine for the simple things. You only need three features.

1. Storage (in RAID5 probably, if you have 3 drives)

2. DLNA server (this allows automatic 'scans to find your media, like XBOXES and what not.)

3. SAMBA file sharing (Sometimes its called 'windows file sharing, or SMB, but really it just lets Linux based shares work on windows).

They should all be included by default in FreeNAS.

Your other option is to install Ubuntu (and is the one I'd actually recommend for you).

-You'll attach your drives.

-You'll install Ubuntu

-It'll load to a pretty desktop

-You'll find the drives in the file explorer

-You right click them, and enable 'sharing' (samba is included in Ubuntu, just allow 'everyone' READ permissions if you're not hiding anything)

Tada, people can see media in all their devices if its capable of visiting a shared folder.

Windows, Mac, and linux can; Android can via ES file Explorer.

Then you'll just use the software center (like the 'app store' on a mac) to install whatever your chosen DNLA server, and to setup whatever your backup solution is (unless you're living dangerously without backups).

It sounds like a lot, but its no more than the little 'box' NAS's require to be honest. They're just a faceless-linux box, with Twonky Media Server, and RAID0\1\5 be default. Same shit, but expensive and impossible to work on if you need to.

You've made the right choice, you just need to dive in and mess with it BEFORE moving all your data, lol.

Its pretty simple. I did all this probably 10 years ago, when I was in early highschool with no networking knowledge let alone storage knowledge. Its pretty self explainatory; and for the bits that arent, google is amazing.

Whichever way you go, Your final goal is:

-Raid 1, or Nightly Synchronise\Manual backup (Raid 5 if you have 3 identical drives)

-Media server (usually its TWONKY, but I'm sure there are a lot out there)

-SAMBA\SMB\Windows file shares (built into Ubuntu, and FreeNAS).

3 simple things, all with easy to understand setup questions once you actually dive in :)

I'll bottom line this for you, because we have a lot of storage gurus here, who like doing it 'the right way'.

ZFS is amazing, its featured, it has security, reliability, and after an initla steep learning curve (its a short one though), its amazing.

HOWEVER.

It is a completely different way of thinking, and is frustrating as hell to learn if you dont have 'that mindset' needed.

ZFS likes ram, but it doesnt need it. I ran my 10TB server on ZFS with 2GB; since its a single user workload I didnt mind it 'being slow'

I tried all sorts of junk to keep my data. From RAID5 to ZFS to.... everything. I went back to old fashioned 1 HDD does a synchronise to another HDD each night. It was frustrating for a single home user to have a corporate solution.

People attack me for this decision, but its the simple one, and since it only syncs nightly it gives me 24 hours to decide if I REALLY wanted to delete that.

If you want the NAS to act an more of an appliance, FreeNAS is the way to go. I never watched videos or guides, its all wizard driven and stepped me through it just fine for the simple things. You only need three features.

1. Storage (in RAID5 probably, if you have 3 drives)

2. DLNA server (this allows automatic 'scans to find your media, like XBOXES and what not.)

3. SAMBA file sharing (Sometimes its called 'windows file sharing, or SMB, but really it just lets Linux based shares work on windows).

They should all be included by default in FreeNAS.

Your other option is to install Ubuntu (and is the one I'd actually recommend for you).

-You'll attach your drives.

-You'll install Ubuntu

-It'll load to a pretty desktop

-You'll find the drives in the file explorer

-You right click them, and enable 'sharing' (samba is included in Ubuntu, just allow 'everyone' READ permissions if you're not hiding anything)

Tada, people can see media in all their devices if its capable of visiting a shared folder.

Windows, Mac, and linux can; Android can via ES file Explorer.

Then you'll just use the software center (like the 'app store' on a mac) to install whatever your chosen DNLA server, and to setup whatever your backup solution is (unless you're living dangerously without backups).

It sounds like a lot, but its no more than the little 'box' NAS's require to be honest. They're just a faceless-linux box, with Twonky Media Server, and RAID0\1\5 be default. Same shit, but expensive and impossible to work on if you need to.

You've made the right choice, you just need to dive in and mess with it BEFORE moving all your data, lol.

Its pretty simple. I did all this probably 10 years ago, when I was in early highschool with no networking knowledge let alone storage knowledge. Its pretty self explainatory; and for the bits that arent, google is amazing.

Whichever way you go, Your final goal is:

-Raid 1, or Nightly Synchronise\Manual backup (Raid 5 if you have 3 identical drives)

-Media server (usually its TWONKY, but I'm sure there are a lot out there)

-SAMBA\SMB\Windows file shares (built into Ubuntu, and FreeNAS).

3 simple things, all with easy to understand setup questions once you actually dive in :)

Thanks MS, you have been a big help.

I might try Ubuntu and see how that goes. If I don't like it have the FeeNAS boot disk ready to go and will try that out too.

Cheers

Another couple of questions for you guys.

Do I need to update the Bios if I want the PCI-e USB 3.0 card to work? Or will it work when i fire up the server first go?

I am actually going to try installing FreeNAS instead of Ubuntu after doing some more research last night. I really don't want to to plug the server into a monitor each time I need to update something if I am using Ubuntu. FreeNAS at least can be used in a web browser in my current pc.

Also if I get another 2TB WD Red so I have a total of 4 drives can I still used RaidZ and ZFS?

I have read the I need more RAM as its recommended to have 1 gig of RAM per TB of hard drive space? What suggestions do people have for RAM to use? I have read that there is constant compatibility issues with RAM in the micro servers.

Cheers

Do I need to update the Bios if I want the PCI-e USB 3.0 card to work? Or will it work when i fire up the server first go?

I am actually going to try installing FreeNAS instead of Ubuntu after doing some more research last night. I really don't want to to plug the server into a monitor each time I need to update something if I am using Ubuntu. FreeNAS at least can be used in a web browser in my current pc.

Also if I get another 2TB WD Red so I have a total of 4 drives can I still used RaidZ and ZFS?

I have read the I need more RAM as its recommended to have 1 gig of RAM per TB of hard drive space? What suggestions do people have for RAM to use? I have read that there is constant compatibility issues with RAM in the micro servers.

Cheers

You shouldn't need a screen for anything to do with ubuntu, it's possibly to do almost anything via ssh or RDP but that depends if you're comfortable with the command line. To update software just type 'sudo apt-get update' then 'sudo apt-get upgrade' and all your software will upgrade itself from the latest packages available.

Most of my software has a web interface too. This does require a bit of learning and time to get used to though.

I don't think you will need to update the BIOS for anything, your USB3 card should just work. Unlike windows you also most likely won't need to worry about drivers.

If you're going to use 4x2TB then RAIDZ with Freenas should be fine. Just be aware you will lose a bit of space to parity and to the file system, but not a significant amount. It should be fine with the default 2GB of RAM, but adding another 2GB if you can get your hands on it at some stage won't hurt. You shouldn't need more than that, but the more you give it the more it can potentially use. There are only really compatibility issues with 8GB sticks in the microservers since they aren't officially supported, 4GB sticks would be fine. I have 2x8GB sticks in mine, but had to try 3 pairs to get ones that were compatible. The reason ZFS likes RAM is that it can cache frequently used files to the RAM to increase performance, however as a NAS serving files over the network, this isn't very useful. It's more of an enterprise feature, so not particularly important.

Here is my resource usage right now on my server, you can see I am using a lot of RAM for cache, but the cache itself isn't actually very useful, from some testing I have done. You would get about the same level of performance without it. Around 8GB of this RAM is being used by the ZFS cache.

1  [|||||||||||										  16.1%]	 Tasks: 129, 253 thr; 2 running
  2  [||||||||											 13.4%]	 Load average: 0.14 0.29 0.32
  Mem[|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||12491/15892MB]	 Uptime: 58 days, 06:29:52
  Swp[													 0/0MB]

Cheers

You shouldn't need a screen for anything to do with ubuntu, it's possibly to do almost anything via ssh or RDP but that depends if you're comfortable with the command line. To update software just type 'sudo apt-get update' then 'sudo apt-get upgrade' and all your software will upgrade itself from the latest packages available.

Most of my software has a web interface too. This does require a bit of learning and time to get used to though.

I don't think you will need to update the BIOS for anything, your USB3 card should just work. Unlike windows you also most likely won't need to worry about drivers.

If you're going to use 4x2TB then RAIDZ with Freenas should be fine. Just be aware you will lose a bit of space to parity and to the file system, but not a significant amount. It should be fine with the default 2GB of RAM, but adding another 2GB if you can get your hands on it at some stage won't hurt. You shouldn't need more than that, but the more you give it the more it can potentially use. There are only really compatibility issues with 8GB sticks in the microservers since they aren't officially supported, 4GB sticks would be fine. I have 2x8GB sticks in mine, but had to try 3 pairs to get ones that were compatible. The reason ZFS likes RAM is that it can cache frequently used files to the RAM to increase performance, however as a NAS serving files over the network, this isn't very useful. It's more of an enterprise feature, so not particularly important.

Here is my resource usage right now on my server, you can see I am using a lot of RAM for cache, but the cache itself isn't actually very useful, from some testing I have done. You would get about the same level of performance without it. Around 8GB of this RAM is being used by the ZFS cache.

1  [|||||||||||										  16.1%]	 Tasks: 129, 253 thr; 2 running
  2  [||||||||											 13.4%]	 Load average: 0.14 0.29 0.32
  Mem[|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||12491/15892MB]	 Uptime: 58 days, 06:29:52
  Swp[													 0/0MB]

Thanks Poison that was really helpful.

I will stick with the 2 gig of RAM that I have and if I need more I will get another 2 GB later down the track.

Once I have the server up and running I am sure I am going to have a million questions.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Cheers

Hi MS and Poison,

Well the FreeNAS OS is installed and I have the IP address to log into BUT when I tried to log the IP address in Chrome it says address not found!

Am stuck and I have no idea what to do to fix this.

Server is plugged into the network so I am puzzled.

Cheers

Rami

Yep its odd; I replied to your other thread but oh well.

make sure you dont use CHROME, its a horrid browser for anything but 'the internet'.

This isnt experienced everywhere, and i'm sure people will pop in and say "Works fine here!" but I still cant get it to visit local addresses and not just search them ><.

Anyway. open internet explorer or firefox or opera (or any other webkit based broswer. Safari?) and make sure your IP address is being visited via https

So https://192.168.1.99 or whatever.

On the freenas box, your IP should be static, and at the high end of your IP range (so you dont conflict)

So, assuming your setup is thus:

Router\Modem: 192.168.1.1

Home PC: 192.168.1.2

Other devices (phones etc): 192.168.1.3~20

freenas: 192.168.1.99

and on freenas, your GATEWAY should be 192.168.1.1 (your router address).

Subnets SHOULD be 255.255.255.0 (also known as /24) but if you have a shitty 'provided for free by the isp' router, you might be in some weird subdomain, so just log into your router, find out what it is, and thats your subnet mask.

If its still not connecting, you're haunted :P

Booted a USB stick of freenas last night to see what its anout these days. VERY improved from when I last tried it.

make sure you dont use CHROME, its a horrid browser for anything but 'the internet'.

This isnt experienced everywhere, and i'm sure people will pop in and say "Works fine here!" but I still cant get it to visit local addresses and not just search them ><.

i have the exact opposite problem, chrome is fine for everything i've ever tried, like my nas and my cloud server, and all of my work servers, however internet explorer always tries to bing search local addresses, even if they are correct.

I've never used freenas, but does it have a default port that it runs on? I thought most web applications would run on a specific port, even if it's port 80 it may help to specify.

good point.

You can just use OPERA (which is now webkit based, like firefox) and have the best of both worlds. Super light, and super reliable. ANYWHO.

Once again:

Configure IPv4: yes

Configure interface for DHCP: no

IP: 192.168.1.99 (assuming that meets your other addresses)

Subnet: 255.255.255.0 (might not be an option, could be 192.168.1.99/24, above)

GATEWAY: 192.168.1.1 (assuming this is your router)

DNS: 192.168.1.1 (Assuming this is your router)

IPV6: off\no

good point.

You can just use OPERA (which is now webkit based, like firefox) and have the best of both worlds. Super light, and super reliable. ANYWHO.

Once again:

Configure Iv4: yes

Configure interface for DHCP: no

IP: 192.168.1.99 (assuming that meets your other addresses)

Subnet: 255.255.255.0 (might not be an option, could be 192.168.1.99/24, above)

GATEWAY: 192.168.1.1 (assuming this is your router)

DNS: 192.168.1.1 (Assuming this is your router)

IPV6: off\no

Hi MS,

Thanks for your help.

Ok I am really puzzled now. I can connect to the web (writing this now) on my laptop which is connected through the wireless netgear router DGNG3700 or what ever the model is which is connected to my optus modeum (cisco i think) to get the cable internet . But when I try to connect to the web on my home PC I get nothing. No pages will load. However, I can connect to the GUI for the NAS and can even put things into the folders I created on the server.

My router Ip is: 192.168.0.1 which is an optus cisco modem and router.

My Freenas IP is 192.168.0.12.

When I open my local area connection and get the details my IPv4 is 192.168.0.13 and my defualt gateway is 192.168.0.1 and my DNS server is 192.168.1.1 and my DHCP server is 192.168.0.1.

I cannot connect to the freenas GUI on https:// too so not sure where I have gone wrong. I tried restarting both my modeum and router with no luck.

I have no idea where I went wrong because until I installed freenas on the server and started to connect to it that's when I lost my web access from my home pc which is connected through a gigabit lan and not wireless.

Really appreciate your help and anyone elses for that matter as I am completely stumped.

Cheers

DNS is wrong.

and my DNS server is 192.168.1.1

Should be 192.168.0.1, same as your modem\router.

Your modem\router will have your ISP's DNS servers in its settings, so you need to point YOUR dns at your router. Leave secondary blank.

Reason you can hit the freenas box is because you're using an IP address, not a domain name. If you tried to surf the net using websites IP addresses instead of www's it'd still work :)

Edited by Master_Scythe

Thanks guys.

Excuse my ignorance but how do I change my DNS setting on my PC? Have looked everywhere but I can't find it?

Cheers

Thanks guys.

Excuse my ignorance but how do I change my DNS setting on my PC? Have looked everywhere but I can't find it?

Cheers

Actually don't worry I just figured it out.

Will work through MS reply and see how I go.

Cheers

I got my main PC working again thanks guys. But now I have done something to the wireless connection LOL.

When ever I try to connect to a wireless network it connects but does nothing after that. I cannot access any web pages. When I go into my network settings its says I am connected to an unidentified network! If I run the diagnostics it says I need to configure my gateway but I cannot connect to the Netgear DGND3700 web the IP address any more!

I have no idea what I have done. All I did was put the Google DNS ip addresses into the laptop and then things went haywire but when I change them back I still cannot connect to the Internet.

Help please?

Cheers

your wifi and wired cards are different in terms of settings.

Use your router as the DNS, not google.

It sounds like you had DHCP enabled on the router, rather than setting static IP's.

Hmm... Unidentified Network? You should see your SSID (wireless name) at least!

Its a hard one to diagnose without seeing it.

can I get an IPCONFIG /all from you please?

<Windows key>+<R>

cmd <enter>

ipconfig /all <enter>

get that on here if you can, and I'll have a look at all your network settings. Somethings skewiff in there.

Also, if you haven't, reboot your modem\router.

EDIT: bet you're glad now that you have an actual microserver and not a NAS box, imagine trying to troubleshoot this when you cant configure it without a working web interface, lol. Impossible.

Edited by Master_Scythe

your wifi and wired cards are different in terms of settings.

Use your router as the DNS, not google.

It sounds like you had DHCP enabled on the router, rather than setting static IP's.

Hmm... Unidentified Network? You should see your SSID (wireless name) at least!

Its a hard one to diagnose without seeing it.

can I get an IPCONFIG /all from you please?

<Windows key>+<R>

cmd <enter>

ipconfig /all <enter>

get that on here if you can, and I'll have a look at all your network settings. Somethings skewiff in there.

Also, if you haven't, reboot your modem\router.

EDIT: bet you're glad now that you have an actual microserver and not a NAS box, imagine trying to troubleshoot this when you cant configure it without a working web interface, lol. Impossible.

Hi MS,

Thanks again mate for all your help. I owe you a couple of beers some time.

I cannot upload the IP config you asked for until I get home but I will tonight.

Very glad I went with a NAS Server, its been pretty easy to setup considering I don't know much about it. Have started moving all my movies, music and photos to the server. I ended up going with Raidz2 so that if 2 drives fail I won't lose my data. I have over 100GB of photos from all my travels and I would die if I lost them. Going to back them up to an old external hard drive too just to be safe.

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

Cheers

RaidZ huh? Neat!

So thanks to freenas, you're both on ZFS, have 2 hot spares, and the money you saved on a good NAS box clearly went to multiple drives (do you have 4? 2 in use, 2 spare?)