fajw

Best "anti-virus" software?

I am looking for the best "anti-virus" software with firewall and I am currently considering Bitdefender, Eset and McAfee. Recommendations?

Eset used to be the best; but I didnt look at its results the last 3 years. These days the best are usually Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials.

MS Security Essentials has never been good. Never. People praise it because its free and fast. But it also doesn't work well.

The truth is that even the best AV can only provide a very shallow level of protection. Common sense trumps all.

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

The 'File Detection Test' graph is particularly telling.

wow, avg is no better than win 7 ootb. No Symantec?

MS Security Essentials has never been good. Never. People praise it because its free and fast. But it also doesn't work well.

The truth is that even the best AV can only provide a very shallow level of protection. Common sense trumps all.

Thanks for that.

Yeah panda has always done exceedingly well. Havent seen them in stores for a while; maybe they went online only? I know I had a boxed copy in 2004.

And its not surprising TrendMicro is the best. Didn't they basically take over the unofficial server preferred antivirus when Symantec went through that entire 'rebuild' a few years ago? (if it wasn't, then kudos to good work regardless, lol)

I usually use AVG anti-virus minus the AVG search bar as it hogs the cpu. Also use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free version.

Just lately i found AVG to be a lot better ,with main support i use their Facebook page which is Aussie based in Victoria.

Bitdefender is great, has been doing well for awhile now.

We sell panda at work for $10 a license to home users, but I've found it to be poor on full removal/prevention compared to bitdefender.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I've used Kaspersky for a number of years and never had any sort of infection.

That said, I reckon I could count the number of alerts over a five year period on one hand. But yeah, Kaspersky seems pretty good and is unobtrusive. I switched from Norton which was a complete pain in the arse. Seemed to constantly demand your attention and hog system resources.

I have AVAST personally; set to 'High' I'd see about 5 alerts a day, but they're all from .js files from webpages. Probably poor attempts at droppers than actual viruses really.

I use linux ;)

when windows is required, avast is normally what i choose.

mse on the laptop and my gaming system due to its performance

avg on the file server

avast on the htpc which is the pc the family uses for email\internet ect

cant remember what is currently running on the office pc probably still avg but i may have changed it to mse since its just a atom

dairy pc may be a several year old version of avg if it has a antivirus still on it

Edited by Dasa

According to that it looks like Kaspersky has been the best for a while. Anyone know if Kaspersky does firewalling or intrusion detection/prevention?

According to that it looks like Kaspersky has been the best for a while. Anyone know if Kaspersky does firewalling or intrusion detection/prevention?

Kaspersky Internet Security does.

Posted Image

Edited by aliali

No Symantec (Norton).

Windows has a firewall already. and your modem handles intrusion detection. You dont need to overload the PC with 'suites' just because you as a human cant see it happening :) Have some faith in your gear.

Nothing will stop a port scan. You cant stop it on your end.

Its just an IP scanner, picking a random IP, then asking every port 'Hey, whats the news?'

Windows firewall by default stealths all ports, (closes them, and sets them to no reply to a scan).

So you can see a scan, but the other end see's no reply on all ports besides the ones you have open (thusly, are in use and safe anyway).

I should be able to stop a port scan on my PC. If they were port scanning my PC (as opposed to my router/gateway) that means they got into my LAN.

no, there is a big difference between local and external IP's.

in really lay terms, Every computer on the LAN responds to the routers external IP (WAN).

If you WAN IP was 123.456.789.123, I can portscan that IP, and I'm simultaneously scanning every machine on your entire LAN thats allowed to access the internet through that router.

Long story short, if your internal IP is being scanned, from an external source, thats just how your software is choosing to display it. it took me ages to learn, but networks arent like foldrs\files.

Its not Internet:/WAN IP address/Your Ip Address.

Its Just WAN ip address -> entire network.

If you're worried about someone locally (say WiFi or LAN) scanning you, then you need to loog at local security and not internet\antivirus security suites.

Edited by Master_Scythe