Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bowlen

The latest roundup of new Apple products!

So last night, Apple gave another presentation and announced some more products!

They've released 2 new iPads which are the iPad Air, and the iPad Mini with retina display.

Along with that, they've released the new OSX: Mavericks and some updated MacBook Pro's.

The new MacPro is also available on the store for some ridiculous amount of money!

I'm keen on the new iPads!

really?

A$ 598?

I flipped through the specs, I don't own one, but I'm exposed to them daily. Using some quite obscure design, art, and CCTV type uses.

I'm yet to see one lag\bog down, so the 'performance' isn't a seller for me.

I believe 'The New iPad' was able to go to iOS7? So that didn't do it.

Dual antenna, is that new? If so, well that's kinda nice, but I thought transfer speeds were quite impressive regardless.

and less than 500g? cool.

The only thing that impresses me is the weight.

I think apple really did die with Steve Jobs, he used to innovate things, even if I wasn't a fan.

Now they're rehashing old ideas.

Maybe I'd be less cynical if I saw them used more for business and less for $600 gaming devices. Dunno.

Really, its cool and all; and I'd be excited if it actually WAS new, but its just a lighter version of something we already have, to my eyes.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Finally, decent multi-monitor support. Upgrading ASAP.

I think public perception of Apple not being innovative anymore is because a) Everything now leaks well before it's announced, and b) Apple have started announcing things well before they are released. 64-bit architecture in a mobile device is a pretty big innovation, even if the impacts aren't immediate. The relatively seamless transition from 32 - 64 appears to be taken for granted, when in the background, that must have been a shitload of work.

Finally, decent multi-monitor support. Upgrading ASAP.

I think public perception of Apple not being innovative anymore is because a) Everything now leaks well before it's announced, and b) Apple have started announcing things well before they are released. 64-bit architecture in a mobile device is a pretty big innovation, even if the impacts aren't immediate. The relatively seamless transition from 32 - 64 appears to be taken for granted, when in the background, that must have been a shitload of work.

Which one are you getting?

Probably took a bit of work, but not as much as you'd imagine.

Multi monitor is interesting, but I'd call niche market. Purely because every use ive seen is to mirror the screen for the sake of presentations etc.

Which one are you getting?

The new mini would be very nice, but I've had to switch to android due to Apple's app restrictions. I'm developing an app to control drones, which Apple has specifically banned.

Multi monitor is interesting, but I'd call niche market. Purely because every use ive seen is to mirror the screen for the sake of presentations etc.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the sort of multi-monitor support Windows has had since XP. With OSX, it's been a pain in the arse to run two monitors if you also use spaces.

Right, yeah thats kinda cool. But is it software\ios7? will it gome to 'The New iPad' as well? (still cant believe they went with that name, lol).

Sometimes I hate that I was a trained apple salesman. My heart was never in it, lol.

Jesus. Looks like the Apple Tax™ has made a comeback. Taking into account the exchange rate and GST, Apple are asking for $611 AUD more for the base Mac Pro model in Australia compared to US prices. A bit of that would be due to shipping, seeing as they're being assembled in America, but still...

Especially considering those who "Need that power!" and cant write it off to their work, are likely the same people who can build an OC'd i7 hackintosh.

You would never, ever use an OC'd hackintosh in a professional environment.

A good designer, editor, sound engineer or 3D artist is worth >$200 per hour. Each and every crash would be costing you at least $50 in lost productivity. Lose 5 hours in the lifespan of the machine, and you've lost any economic advantage gained. If a component fails, even on the off chance that it's covered under warranty, and you've lost at least $800.

Check out the prices for Dell or HP workstations, and you'll see they're around the same price. And businesses happily pay the price, because it makes economic sense.

Scythe I have actually waited for these new macs to play games, what is it like reading journals, books on the mini as I am pretty sure I will get one,

GTA V purchase 79 dollars, + 600 for my new mini.

Scythe I have actually waited for these new macs to play games, what is it like reading journals, books on the mini as I am pretty sure I will get one,

GTA V purchase 79 dollars, + 600 for my new mini.

Well sure, every product has its exceptions, and target market, otherwise why would it be build, PERIOD.

There are plenty of strengths to a Mac, which will make me argue on its side, but gaming sure isnt one.... why have you waited to GAME on them?

Way better for cheaper in the PC realm. Steam is on LINUX now too. MacOS installs on PC hardware (unofficially).

Why did you wait?

MacOS installs on PC hardware (unofficially).

So sick of people saying this as if it's a legitimate option.

Yes, you can wrestle OSX on to clone hardware, but much like Linux on an iPhone, it's more trouble than it's worth, even just so you can say you did it.

Edited by SquallStrife

Install the latest build, install drivers. Done. It takes no wrestling anymore. Go try.

Or better yet, get a build designed for a laptop thats available off the shelf. 100% working guaranteed.

Only wall you'll hit, is if no ones written drivers for your stuff (think oldschool linux installs) but just check your HW before hand. It certainly doesnt need to be a clone machine.

Besides its an afterthought for those who like the software, I'm hardly preaching it, chill. I woldn't mention it outside a modding\geek community.

Regardless, this is only relevant if you want MacOSX, which pales in usability next to Ubuntu IMO.

being a purely windows guy, and literally 'trying' OSX and Ubuntu for about 3 days each, I still don't see the OS appeal of a Mac.

Unity is way nicer and easier to use, and IMO ubuntu was more usable OOB. Mac needed programs installed.

Hardware sure, very nice, but not at that price. Apple tax'd to hell.

No ones gonna agree with me, I'm in the apple section doing what sounds like badmouthing apple (not the case).

But do take heart that I'm happy to admit where apple has its strengths, and DO recommend them to certain clients; but in this case, to me, there's nothing to see here.

Mavericks is cool and free, otherwise, nope.

I've tried many times, using vanilla media, iAtkos, and others. It always comes back to the hardware support being a series of hacks, I always end up running into oddness like front panel audio not working, occasionally not getting hardware acceleration for display (but it'll work after a reboot), no support (or broken support) for non-onboard audio, and so on. I could probably get it working, but I don't have the time.

It's fine if you're just mucking around, but I'd never ever ever ever suggest it as a reasonable alternative to buying a Mac, or running Windows/Linux on a clone machine.

Re this so-called Apple tax, that's been pretty well debunked in this section. You may pay more for the same herp derp nerd specs (like CPU, RAM, etc), but when you look at the whole package (including software, aesthetics, battery life for portables, peripherals, customer service, etc) compared to buying a clone from Dell or even your corner computer shop, the value is quite comparable.

including software, aesthetics, battery life for portables, peripherals, customer service, etc

I'll concede to 50% of those.

(lose) Software, 5 years ago, for sure. Nowadays I feel a lot of Open Source stuff has knocked apples range on its head.

Garage band falls to its knees in front of LMMS (

)

My mates a film student\part time Director and tells me FinalCut is quite quickly dying to Adobe (for the 3rd time? the balance shifts, i'm sure it'll swing back, lol)

Office suites, well Open source rules there. I've used Mac's suite, and Office, and they both fail next to LibreOffice, slow, clunky, and overly 'feature rich' for an office suite.

The list can go on and on, software I'm going to disagree with; they're also front-end unconfigurable a lot of the time (re: 'Mail').

(win) Aesthetics? yep, OK. They're pretty. The trade off is the unibody 'no fix' design, which makes me uncomfortable, but its how they run. They can have Aesthetics. (but google some of the macbook clones from HP and the like.... they're really not alone)

(win) battery life for portables; yeah. Its not bad. No user changable battery, but they can have a tick here too.

(draw) Peripherals... quality or aesthetics?

As someone who uses purely Mac peripherals on his windows systems, they just don't take a beating well, but they're pretty. You also pay a HUGE premium on these, and that's not deniable. When I can buy the same wireless keyboard, from china, for $8, as I can here for $99; thats price gouging.

And yes, I own both, and yes, they're identical. So, yah, they're nice to use, but they dont last, and they're taxed to HELL.

(win) Customer service, without a doubt. For 99% of the population, fucking amazing. PERSONALLY I hate the fact that their staff are trained in the KISS methodology, because if I have even a SLIGHTLY technical question, they don't know. But not everyones a geek. So that's a win.

The list can go all day. As I said, I'm able to recognize where their place is. I just think its a lot less widespread than people imply and the aesthetics is what won them at the beginning, but that's society. Looking at their profit margins for last year, Yeah, I'd say they can afford to lower the 'Apple tax' even if its already low.

Re your hackintosh experience. I don't disagree, as I said, its like installing linux. You don't need clone hardware, but you DO need hardware on the 'supported list'. My point was that if pumpjockey02 was waiting for a new mac to be able to GAME on it, I'd have honestly considered the h'tosh a better choice.

I already said though, outside a geek forum where mods and hacking were the focus for most of its life, I wouldn't suggest it, so don't stress :)

Could anybody tell me whether it's worth getting the i7 instead of the i5 dual core for the new haswell macbook? I'll just enjoy light video editing and gaming with the macbook along with the office word processing and browsing needs.

Goddamn these upgrade prices are ridiculous. I'll definitely get the 8gb ram option. I would LOVE more storage than 128gb but FRIGGIN $$$$$$.

I'm not willing to spend any more than 2000 on this machine guys...

What's my best option?

Lucky, whether I like mac or not, hardware is the same :P

if you really mean 'Light' video editing, aka. the occasional home movie, i5 will be OK, IMO.

Your ram will make the bigger difference.

Hardware performance isnt ignored by the OS, doesnt matter if its windows or Mac really.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/C...70K_Comparison/

have a read of things like that, to get an idea.

PERSONALLY, i'd pay the high price, once, because macbooks are so expensive i'd want to keep it for a LONG time.

But if you can see an upgrade path for yourself in the future, then i5. IMO.

That's really solid advice Master S, Thank you.

Any idea when these MacBook will b released in retailers such as JB Hi fi?

I should've been more specific with light video editing. I would enjoy editing music videos and short films from my camcorder with my friends as I'm an aspiring film maker but I'll enjoy just editing and making skits or montages with films and game trailers. is that the kind of work where I can control my lag by taking it easy or is the i5 dual core just shit for that? Dual cores just feel so primitive in this price point...

I will have that pc machine with the upgraded gpu we talked about over in building, troubleshootong and modding Scythe.

What do you reckon?

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

(lose) Software, 5 years ago, for sure. Nowadays I feel a lot of Open Source stuff has knocked apples range on its head.

Garage band falls to its knees in front of LMMS (

)

Blech. Like nearly all Open Source software it has that "It's way more powerful once you get your head around the interface" thing going on.

That's my nearly-universal complaint about open source software. Sure, GIMP is powerful, once you unlearn everything you learned using software with well designed UIs.

My mates a film student\part time Director and tells me FinalCut is quite quickly dying to Adobe (for the 3rd time? the balance shifts, i'm sure it'll swing back, lol)

Final Cut costs money, I'm talking about bundled software. Right out of the box you get iMovie, which craps all over Windows Live Movie Maker for essentially everything.

The dot-point feature list comparison between Adobe Elements and iMovie is pretty tit-for-tat. I looked in to it pretty comprehensively before I started doing my retro gaming Youtube channel.

Office suites, well Open source rules there. I've used Mac's suite, and Office, and they both fail next to LibreOffice, slow, clunky, and overly 'feature rich' for an office suite.

The list can go on and on, software I'm going to disagree with; they're also front-end unconfigurable a lot of the time (re: 'Mail').

Unless it's changed dramatically in the last 2 years, LibreOffice is just as "slow, clunky" as any. I accept that this is completely subjective, and has more to do with "what you're used to" than any kind of measurable difference.

(win) Aesthetics? yep, OK. They're pretty. The trade off is the unibody 'no fix' design, which makes me uncomfortable, but its how they run. They can have Aesthetics. (but google some of the macbook clones from HP and the like.... they're really not alone)

Yep indeed, everybody's going the "no nonsense" route with industrial design. FINALLY!!! Laptops with stripes, patterns, grilles, logos, buttons, switches all over the fucking place should be shot. It's equipment for professionals, not an infant's toy.

The "no fix" thing is a non-issue these days. In all but the MacBook Air, you can swap the HDD and RAM, that's enough really. CPUs are outlasting their sockets these days, and the Intel Iris graphics on Haswell will (I reckon) destroy the low-end GPU market. If something else fails, take the machine to the Apple Store and they'll give you a new one.

(draw) Peripherals... quality or aesthetics?

As someone who uses purely Mac peripherals on his windows systems, they just don't take a beating well, but they're pretty. You also pay a HUGE premium on these, and that's not deniable. When I can buy the same wireless keyboard, from china, for $8, as I can here for $99; thats price gouging.

And yes, I own both, and yes, they're identical. So, yah, they're nice to use, but they dont last, and they're taxed to HELL.

Starting with the built-in peripherals on the portables, I am yet to see a clone laptop with a trakpad as big as MBP/MBA. That's going to be your main pointing device away from the desk, why do they still make them pissy little 2-3" squares with discrete buttons (then some of them waste pointing area with "scrolling areas" and other haphazard afterthought shit)? The Magic Mouse does more than two clicks and vertical scrolling, it scrolls sideways, pinch zooms, browser back/forward, and all with the two fingers you have on top of the device. Not for everybody, and not great for zomg action gamurz, but a step in the right direction towards better input devices.

A keyboard is a keyboard, that's true, and as separate items the Apple peripherals are costly, but when you buy a Mac the peripherals are included, their individual cost isn't relevant.

The list can go all day. As I said, I'm able to recognize where their place is. I just think its a lot less widespread than people imply and the aesthetics is what won them at the beginning, but that's society. Looking at their profit margins for last year, Yeah, I'd say they can afford to lower the 'Apple tax' even if its already low.

The "aesthetics is what won them" is a funny thing to say. If it was aesthetics alone, people wouldn't keep going back. You don't keep going to a pretty restaurant if the food is bad.

It's like buying a luxury European car, you're there for the enjoyment of the drive, not the pistons and crankshaft and horsepowers. Those things are there, and they're important, but that's not what your purchase is about, and as such you can't make the case that it's "taxed" or "overpriced" compared to a utilitarian Korean made 2-door hatch.

Re your hackintosh experience. I don't disagree, as I said, its like installing linux. You don't need clone hardware, but you DO need hardware on the 'supported list'. My point was that if pumpjockey02 was waiting for a new mac to be able to GAME on it, I'd have honestly considered the h'tosh a better choice.

I already said though, outside a geek forum where mods and hacking were the focus for most of its life, I wouldn't suggest it, so don't stress :)

"Clone" when I use it just means non-brand hardware. Back in the 80s, there were IBM systems, and clones.

Edited by SquallStrife