Sign in to follow this  
eveln

Soylent

http://www.news.com.au/business/companies/...z-1226745251232

"Our best foods are already novelties for special occasions. Soylent will be the most popular staple meal but food will always

be enjoyed for recreation by those that have the means."

The drink is expected to cost $65 for a week's supply."

..." by those that have the means." Nice. I guess it might be an improvement on the " olds " having nothing but Pal to look forward to, lol.

Just imagine the savings !

I like the smells associated with cooking. A juicy succulent m/r steak, the tangy smell of peeling a ripe mandarin.

I wonder (not very effusively ) what the smell of Soylent is :(

edit: layout

Edited by eveln

Food can be really expensive, but it can also be ridiculously cheap. They're going to have their work cut out if they plan to lowball the low end.

Sounds like a liquid equivalent to Spam, only a bit healthier.

Artificial food, no thanks. And that also applies to those vego/vegan meat substitutes.

Food can be really expensive, but it can also be ridiculously cheap. They're going to have their work cut out if they plan to lowball the low end.

That $65 per week they expect isn't cheap enough to consider it,

Agreed. I eat fairly fresh stuff, AND manage some 'bad frozen foods' too; and I spend $50 a fortnight. And I do NOT eat small meals (despite trying).

Thats just shopping at coles.

between whatever fruit\vege they have on special, 'clearance' section of the deli, Cheerio saussages, and $4 1kg bags of dimsims; why would you have soylent? I guess its faster? But then I have up and go I got on special when it was $2 for 6.

Food is even cheaper if you go to a factory outlet. For example, a while back I got 62 whitakers chocolate bars for $3.

Boxes of weetbix 'chunks' for $2

'Weight Watches' pre-prepared meals for 75c a carton.

Food is pretty cheap if you're not a brand snob.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Sounds like a liquid equivalent to Spam, only a bit healthier.

I've had my eye on this for a while. They aren't actually going for "cheapest thing on the market", more "afforable".

Their actual stated goal is to "create the nutritional equivalent of water, a default meal that takes no effort that you can have when you just want to eat and move on". I paraphrase slightly.

The guy who first started making it was an engineer who found cooking meals every night took too much time. He's been living of fthe stuff for about 6 or 8 months now I guess. The theory is, one packet of this stuff contains one days worth of soylent. One days worth of soylent contains all your daily needs in calories and about twice your daily needs in everything else. If you are trying to lose weight or just not hungry, you can consume as little as half and not be nutritionally deficient in any way.

It's supposed to take the effort out of giving a shit about your diet.

Hmmmm I thought they were aiming for a lower cost, around the $5/day mark...

I've been following Soylent for a few months and by all accounts it's the real deal: you can seriously live off the stuff, active lifestyle and all, without feeling hungry or being malnourished. Rob Rhinehart tested it on himself as a personal project long, long before deciding to make it a commercial product and has had volunteer beta-testers providing feedback for ages.

From impressions I've read it tastes like "nothing" - a little bit sweet, and with a chalky texture, but it doesn't taste "like" anything in particular. Which is good because then you can make it taste like anything!

I love the idea, and TBH even at $65/week it's cheaper than my current food bill. I enjoy eating nice food but most of the time I eat because I'm hungry and I know my body needs fuel. For $65/week I would replace ~90% of my eating with Soylent.

Agreed. I eat fairly fresh stuff, AND manage some 'bad frozen foods' too; and I spend $50 a fortnight. And I do NOT eat small meals (despite trying).

between whatever fruit\vege they have on special, 'clearance' section of the deli, Cheerio saussages, and $4 1kg bags of dimsims; why would you have soylent? I guess its faster? But then I have up and go I got on special when it was $2 for 6.

Food is even cheaper if you go to a factory outlet. For example, a while back I got 62 whitakers chocolate bars for $3.

It's really not about price, as SS said it's more about making the best nutrition as easy as possible. He's done a heap of research and testing, even getting blood work done when he was just doing it as a hobby project and blogging about it. To answer your question: yes, you'd have Soylent because it's faster.

It's not just faster than frying up some sausages or making a salad. It's more nutritious too. The amount of preparation time you'd have to put in, in order to get a "real food" meal that's as nutritionally complete as Soylent is orders of magnitude greater.

Don't get me wrong, if I was on Soylent I wouldn't give up eating. But I would be able to cook and eat for pleasure and leisure. I would have more time in my day for doing things that I enjoy other than eating or cooking. That's the real appeal of Soylent.

I can see the appeal.

I have huge problems with food. To be able to rid my house of 'food' and just have soylent, would probably help.

I like chewing.

I agree.

As an adult, would it be considered healthy to excrete fecal matter on a par with a baby's excretion ? in other words, I'm not sure

if runny shit is good for an adult. Also I wonder if Soylent would have that affect.

Hmmmm I thought they were aiming for a lower cost, around the $5/day mark...

I've been following Soylent for a few months and by all accounts it's the real deal: you can seriously live off the stuff, active lifestyle and all, without feeling hungry or being malnourished. Rob Rhinehart tested it on himself as a personal project long, long before deciding to make it a commercial product and has had volunteer beta-testers providing feedback for ages.

From impressions I've read it tastes like "nothing" - a little bit sweet, and with a chalky texture, but it doesn't taste "like" anything in particular. Which is good because then you can make it taste like anything!

I love the idea, and TBH even at $65/week it's cheaper than my current food bill. I enjoy eating nice food but most of the time I eat because I'm hungry and I know my body needs fuel. For $65/week I would replace ~90% of my eating with Soylent.

It sounds like it could be a worthwhile convenience to begin with, though " chalky texture " is not really selling it for me :)

It's really not about price, as SS said it's more about making the best nutrition as easy as possible. He's done a heap of research and testing, even getting blood work done when he was just doing it as a hobby project and blogging about it. To answer your question: yes, you'd have Soylent because it's faster.

It's not just faster than frying up some sausages or making a salad. It's more nutritious too. The amount of preparation time you'd have to put in, in order to get a "real food" meal that's as nutritionally complete as Soylent is orders of magnitude greater.

Don't get me wrong, if I was on Soylent I wouldn't give up eating. But I would be able to cook and eat for pleasure and leisure. I would have more time in my day for doing things that I enjoy other than eating or cooking. That's the real appeal of Soylent.

I agree with the emphasised bit here. I'm not a cook and generally I find the bother of food a chore. However, no longer being

on the ciggies has certainly changed my reaction to eating.

I was wondering what would happen to the human being if this Soylent became more than an occasional in-betweener for us.

Over generations our form would change quite drastically I think.

edit: layout

I want to apologise for the slack OP. I'd had a long day yesterday,and well slackness took over :(

Thanks for bothering to make some comments peoples.

Edited by eveln

hahaha. Yeah, I spend less than $20/week on food.

I'm all for their convenience focus, but it's priced out of my budget - even if it's better than what I live on. But if they can't get the flavour to be decent, that alone will put a lot of people off.

re baby shit, I'm not sure it'd be the same. Metamucil et al have fibre in powdered form, you don't need to necessarily be chowing down on leafy greens ( I think) for the health benefits.

My long term concerns would be less about how our body changes, and more about what happens to cultural tastes in food.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

My long term concerns would be less about how our body changes, and more about what happens to cultural tastes in food.

I can't imagine that it would be healthy long term to just eat the one thing, no matter how scientifically whiz bang it is.

With regards to taste, as far as I'm concerned the damage has already been well and truly done to the Western palette. Basically we largely live on processed foods high salt, sugar and fat and our tastes have been changed accordingly so that anything that isn't high in one or more of the three tastes bland to us. When I eat badly, and it happens too often, it's largely because I don't have the time or inclination to cook. Something like this that could be a reasonably healthy alternative to fast food that involves no preparation would be great.

http://books.google.com.au/books/about/Sal...amp;redir_esc=y

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

re baby shit, I'm not sure it'd be the same. Metamucil et al have fibre in powdered form, you don't need to necessarily be chowing down on leafy greens ( I think) for the health benefits.

I'm not really a user of Metamucil and the like. This baby shit aspect got me due to one of those healthy eating shows that used

to be on tv.

( going back at least five years now ), An English show and the " guru " lady was right into checking out her victims excretions to

give the victims an idea of just how unhealthy they were; as if just seeing their present form wasn't enough, lol. "guru" lady

was right into nicely formed turds that floated ...IIRC

If you're not really bothered by how the human form would evolve why would you care about the food ? I'm assuming here that

by the time the evolving was drastically changed you would not be alive ...maybe ;)

And really, as xyzzy frobozz states, and I agree with, our food is already in a bad way ... well not all of it, but a lot.

edit: if my layout sucks more than usual it's cos I'm not on my machine.

Edited by eveln

Hmm,

No thanks, I cook because I enjoy cooking, it's relaxing and satisfying, as is shopping around for good fresh stuff at good prices.

We tend to hoard a bit so some weeks may spend almost nothing on food, a big freezer helps, other weeks like this one spend about $150 for the two of us but that included staples that last months. On the average we spend around $35 per head per week and eat well.

Cheers

An 8 month study, with a sample size of 1?

Let's hope there's no unforeseen long-term negatives...

^ With the wealth of info they garnered, surely they can safely say there are none! Like bovine growth hormone...^

On topic ; I'd never be able to psychologically live on that stuff unless the world went kaput and I managed to survive it, alone.

I think that Rob Rhinehart really outlines the point of Soylent as well as anybody could. Which kind of makes sense XP.

http://blog.soylent.me/post/64789154918/so...ng-announcement

for the click-impaired:

Today one practically has to be a nutritionist to manage a balanced diet, and it’s just too much work. It should be automated. Billions of people are collecting recipes, buying ingredients, cooking, and cleaning, all in parallel, not for pleasure, but for survival. How wasteful. Imagine chefs soldering their own smartphones or architects knitting their own clothing. Cooking is a pleasant art for some, but it would be better to have an option, without having to compromise one’s health or wallet.

Soylent is that option. If you’re a food enthusiast you can have a simple healthy meal to hold you over until your next feast. If you’re short on time you can fuel your body in seconds. If you’re trying to save money Soylent is hands down your cheapest option in terms of nutrition per dollar, and will only get cheaper. Soylent is designed from scratch to be as healthy and sustainable as possible, the most refined food in existence. Though too early to tell what the ideal human diet is, it is certainly possible to engineer something better than what most people are living on.

Health is about balance; moderation. I still enjoy all my favorite foods. In fact, my mostly Soylent lifestyle makes my recreational meals more enjoyable than ever, now that I’m not bombarding my senses with the engineered indulgence of fast food. I hope the very idea encourages one to consider how balanced the typical human diet is and the potential of everyone having the means to eat, and live, well.

I for one welcome the option.

Edited by thesorehead

I'm really not totally adverse to the idea, but tbh, for me to include it in my intake regime, the taste would need to lose the chalky.

Seriously. I can't abide over flour use or that yucky taste from too much baking soda :(

I've been imagining the human form becoming more like we traditionally viewed aliens -

big domey head that falls away with virtually no jaw or mouth. The mouth is wide enough to hold a straw.

And a scrawny body approx 4-5ft height.

I'm thinking the eyes would indeed need to be big so's we can have more time to see danger approaching

Chatting with Walt, we decided it could be used economically within the armed forces or prison systems, perhaps .

You are implying thats hard.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Chatting with Walt, we decided it could be used economically within the armed forces or prison systems, perhaps .

Too heavy for the armed forces, well, for the infantry anyway.

The only liquids you want to be carrying is water. Maybe a powdered version?

soylent comes in a powdered form to begin with.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

soylent comes in a powdered form to begin with.

Ah!

Well then it would probably be great for the armed forces!