Sign in to follow this  
Director

To Boldly Go, Star Trek Continues.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/125377...inues-webseries

Watched this last night, it's a fan based continuation of the original series. Trekkers will know that they ended three years into their five year mission so the fanbase has decided to continue on.

You can get it from your favourite uncle.

I have to say that they did quite a good job in replicating the look and feel of the 60's TV show, the sets, music and acting were pretty close to the original so if you like to Trek then check it out. The guy who plays Scottie was actually a Doohan but I don't know if there's any relation there. You need to get past the difference in voices but after that it's OK. Sulu was a bit funny but no worse than than the actors on any first few episodes of any show.

(edit: The guy that plays Scotty is the original Scotty's son)

Edited by Director

I have to say that they did quite a good job in replicating the look and feel of the 60's TV show, the sets, music and acting were pretty close to the original so if you like to Trek then check it out. The guy who plays Scottie was actually a Doohan but I don't know if there's any relation there. You need to get past the difference in voices but after that it's OK. Sulu was a bit funny but no worse than than the actors on any first few episodes of any show.

(edit: The guy that plays Scotty is the original Scotty's son)

Oh, now that's an excellent homage! Feels very much like the original series indeed.

BTW, did you recognise Sulu? Mythbusters

Yes, because the best thing about the original series was the campy bad CGI/acting/music...

Seriously, I get the concept of nostalgia and all but large % of that is predecated upon the fact that your memory is rose-tinted.

Edited by Oracle X

Yes, because the best thing about the original series was the campy bad CGI/acting/music...

Seriously, I get the concept of nostalgia and all but large % of that is predecated upon the fact that your memory is rose-tinted.

CGI. 60s TV.

/facepalm

Way to miss the point, Oracle.

Actually, the best thing about the original series is that it was utterly unlike anything anyone had seen. At the time it came out, most TV was like Bonanza - white males with guns were often the only characters, and when something was shown they were villains or servants.

Star Trek had female characters holding professional roles, not only racial but species equality, and at least the attempt to solve problems via methods other than brute force. (Of course, Kirk still fucked everything in a skirt, females were not in superior positions, and many problems did end up being solved with guns, but...Baby steps.) In addition to changing the way a generation of people thought about other people, it planted a love for science and space exploration.

I don't think D was saying it was good TV by today's standards. I certainly wasn't. But in terms of doing justice to a show that quite literally changed the world, I think they've done well.

That's my point Cybes.

The best thing about the original series was that it was pushing the boundaries... for the 60s. We're not in the 60s any more and by today's standards it's downright racist/sexist.

Nostalgia has a way of twisting and hiding the ugly parts, and any attempts to bring it back (faithfully) to the modern world will inevitably involve a lot of white-washing and/or a total lack of self-awareness.

Edited by Oracle X

Seriously, I get the concept of nostalgia and all but large % of that is predicated upon the fact that your memory is rose-tinted.

Way to miss the point, Oracle.

but nothing you said rebutted his point!

incidentally, this is the same reason i cant stand modern Dr Who.

not that i was hugely into it as a kid, (partly because i was watching already very dated reruns of the Tom Baker version) but the thing about the originals was that effects made from tin-foil and cellophane didnt look too bad, for the time. the idea of robots in the future being wobbly tin cans that said "Exterminate! Exterminate!" wasnt too bad, for the time. according to scifi thinking of the day, and putting aside the technological compromises inherent to TV production of the day, it was earnest. but the reboot, is not earnest, for our time. instead, it is a thoroughly backward-looking groan-inducing cringe and snooze fest.

this strikes the same chord.

That's my point Cybes.

The best thing about the original series was that it was pushing the boundaries... for the 60s. We're not in the 60s any more and by today's standards it's downright racist/sexist.

Nostalgia has a way of twisting and hiding the ugly parts, and any attempts to bring it back (faithfully) to the modern world will inevitably involve a lot of white-washing and/or a total lack of self-awareness.

If that was your point, you chose poor wording. It is not 'rose tinted' memory - it is that standards have changed.

but nothing you said rebutted his point!

incidentally, this is the same reason i cant stand modern Dr Who.

Everything I said refuted his point as stated. I can only be expected to address a point that was in text - not what he meant.

I gather neither of you is into car restoration or even reproduction. Those old cars are pigs - bad handling, shit brakes, inadequate power, piss-poor efficiency in both fuel consumption and power:weight ratio, horrendous for killing their occupants in major collisions...

We don't rebuild those old beasts because they were/are fabulous cars by today's standards.

you must have missed the opening qualifier:

"Seriously, I get the concept of nostalgia and all but..." :P

actually, i dont mean to take a shit on this thing. i am sure it will be well received by die-hards. good luck to them.

you must have missed the opening qualifier:

"Seriously, I get the concept of nostalgia and all but..." :P

No, that part I saw just fine. What I was responding to was this bit:

...large % of that is predecated upon the fact that your memory is rose-tinted.

Not to mention that that was not the opening line.

and yet, it was the opening qualifier to that to which you were responding :D

ya know what, i think i would actually enjoy this if they mixed in a bit of Anchor Man schtick.

They've captured perfectly the looks and vibe of the original series. Love it.

And as they've raised the $100k, more shall be coming.

Imahara imo is trying too much with the voice though, distracts from what he's actually trying to say.

Imahara imo is trying too much with the voice though, distracts from what he's actually trying to say.

I actually think they should get rid of Imahara. The rest of them, if you look them up, have notable acting experience. Grant's a big TV personality, of course, but he isn't an actor.

For me, whenever it comes to these types of fan continuation, I judge them by cringe factor. Most star trek continuations, parodies or new series made by fans make me wince in self-aware horror at my own willingness to watch such shit, so I usually stop.

In this case, I got none of that, until Grant opened his mouth. The rest of them carry it really well, but Grant doesn't have the training or talent. The show would be far better served by him throwing 100% of his energy and expertise into set building and physical special effects.