Sign in to follow this  
Atlantian

Gaming guts upgrade - $1000ish

Hi Guys,

Time for an upgrade to the ageing rig! I really just need some new guts for the updgrade such as CPU/MB/GPU/RAM/SSD and would love any advice on the best bits to go for in my price range :)

I'm aiming to spend around $1000 but could be pushed to $1300ish if it will mean a noticeably better build.

Currently I'm running:

OS - Win 7 x64 pro

CPU - Core2 Q6700 2.66GHz

RAM - 8gb generic

MB - Gigabyte EP35-DS3P

GPU - ATI 4870 1gb

CASE - ANTEC P182

PSU - Thermaltake TR2 550 NP

I'm looking at keeping the case and PSU (if it can handle the new bits?) so I would need the following parts:

CPU - i5-4670K??

RAM - 16gb 2400??

MB - ASRock Z87-EXTREME4 ??

GPU - 7950 boost 3g??

CPU FAN - ??? I probably wont overclock but should I get something better than stock anyway?

PSU - Will my current PSU be fine for the new parts??

SSD - prob a 250gb any brands or models you recommend??

I will mainly use the box for playing BF4, GTA5, starcraft etc and would like it to hold up well for the next few years, so feel free to swap any parts or make suggestions :)

edit: playing on a single 1920x1080 screen

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it!!

- Neil

Edited by Atlantian

If you're not overclocking, why get the K version?

also, why so much, high speed RAM?

The cooler master hyper 212 is probably the best cooler for you, it will make this a lot quieter.

With the money saved from getting 8gb 1600mhz RAM and not getting a K version, you could get a better (maybe AMD R9) GPU.

Your PSU would be fine, but a good quality new one would be worth the investment.

Hi noskcaj, thanks for the reply,

In answer to both your questions, I am just not knowledgeable enough so I picked the k version as I had just seen it mentioned in a few other build threads recently and the RAM well I figured more is better :)

So I should go the i5-4670? or is there an alternate chip I should be looking at?

So you think 8gb is more than enough? I just went for the faster timing as I have always bought generic ram and figured the faster ram would be better for gaming.

HSF thank you for the recommendation :)

I will look into the AMD R9 are they significantly better?

With the PSU what wattage would you recommend I go for, 650? something like the Antec EA-650-Platinum 550W EarthWatts? or is there another quality one you could suggest?

Thanks so much noskcaj!

Edited by Atlantian

If your just gaming, 8gb of ram is more than enough.

The i5-4670 is a great chip, if you're going with intel it's probably the best option for you.

Looking into it more, the 7950 is still the best value card you can get.

Modular power supplies really are a lot better. http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=15958 should have enough power for this build.

Ok so here is my current upgrade parts list:

CPU

- i5-4670k $265 ($20 more for the k version, so I may try overclock)

RAM

- 8G Kit 2400 G.Skill Trident-X $112

MB

- ASRock Z87-EXTREME4 $189

GPU

- 3G 7950 Asus (only one they had at MSY is there a better option?) $299

CPU FAN

- Coolermaster Universal Hyper 212 EVO $37

PSU

-Keep what I have to keep build cost down

SSD

-Samsung 840 PRO Series SATA3 256G $250

Current Total: $1152

All prices from MSY

Does anyone else (Dasa / Master_Scythe) have any input on the parts before I commit? would be looking to purchase in the next few days (BF4 yeeew)

Thanks again noskcaj for your input!

Hmm.... do you have another HDD you're putting in?

might want to consider a 128GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD.

And might be worth a trip to another store to get a pre-OC 7950; they dont seem to overclock very well in my testing, so a pre-OC is a nice bonus.

Edited by Master_Scythe

there is a few models of thermaltake tr2 some may be crap and others are half decent is yours the 80plus bronze rated model? if not i would upgrade it

msy may not have 7950 stock left if not 7970 oc are $359 and ghz edition $379

Samsung 840 EVO Series SATA3 250G $182 will save you a bit of cash

i like really like the rest of your build

Hey guys,

I have a few existing 1tb drives so additional storage is sorted, my missus has a 128gb SSD and she manages to fill it easily with just steam/origin games and OS so I do not want the hassle of uninstalling/re-installing games like she has to ;)

In regards to the OC 7950 ok will source this elsewhere if this is the option, otherwise with the 7970 OC/GHZ editions are they worth the extra $60-80 Dasa? if so I'm assuming the GHZ is the best bet for an extra $20 over the OC?

Samsung 840 EVO ok sounds good, will use the extra cash to grab the 7970 GHZ?

I do not think my PSU is 80plus bronze rated :( can't see it marked anywhere and do not remember that when buying a while back, so I guess I should upgrade, noskcaj mentioned the Seasonic are they the go these days? was looking at:

PSU

-Seasonic M12II 520W Modular PSU $129

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=15957

Downside is MSY don't seem to stock them, do you suggest any alternatives? (ideally I can head down to my local MSY branch and pick all the bits up together in the next few days to get the build sorted asap)

Thanks again Legends!

the GHZ is the OC. upped to 1ghz processing speed :)

Also, you can move the steam games fodler, just FYI. and even make a second one, so you dont have to uninstall\reinstall.

As for PSU, Antec's, Seasonic, and Corsair, are the 3 brands we mainly trust around here; so depends what MSY have in stock.

Edited by Master_Scythe

GHZ aha! I now understand, thank you kind sir ;)

Steam folder, sorry I should elaborate we currently just move game folders from steam dir to another drive or uninstall depends if we will play again (aka massive arma2 installs) either way shows how impatient I am hahah

Antec / Seasonic / Corsair got it! I was perhaps thinking of getting 550W (instead of the 420Wish suggested by noskcaj) only because it may allow me to upgrade/sli in future to a higher powered card/s in a year or two, is this silly thinking on my behalf? or is there some merit in this?

Thanks for pointers Champions

cf\sli with overclocking will want a jump to ~750w

420w should be ok for any single gpu system but if you were to push the overclock fairly hard with a power hungry card like 290x it would be working rather hard and if this was the intent ~500w would be preferable

i like to try stick to 80 plus gold or platinum psu where possible but not all stores have the watt level you need at a good price with them

at msy the gigabyte 7970 oc runs 1000mhz and the ghz edition actually boosts up to 1100mhz

Edited by Dasa

yep fairly much covering there ass against people using extremely power hungry pc's or a crappy low quality psu that cant really provide 600w

the gpu will use ~230w and your system will use ~100w so while gaming your power use will be around 250-350w at the wall with a moderate oc

its a nice efficient psu reviews of it are decent its main down sides are a slightly higher price and 3 year warranty

Edited by Dasa

I pulled the trigger and ordered all parts today, pickup tomorrow :)

The only thing I had to change was the fan as it was not in stock, so I went for the Coolermaster Hyper T4,

Final parts list is:

CPU

- i5-4670k

RAM

- G.Skill Trident-X 8GB Kit (4Gx2) DDR3-2400 F3-2400C10D-8GTX

MB

- ASRock Z87-EXTREME4 Intel Z87

GPU

- Gigabyte GV-R797TO-3GD 3GB 7970 GHZ HD PCI-E VGA Card

CPU FAN

- Coolermaster Hyper T4 RR-T4-18PK-R1 Universal CPU Cooler

SSD

- Samsung 840BW EVO MZ-7TE250BW 250G SATAIII SSD Solid State Drive

PSU

- Antec EA-550-Platinum 550W EarthWatts

A big thank you to noskcaj, Master_Scythe and Dasa for your excellent advice!

I can't wait to run BF4 on this rig :D

Atlantian that looks like a great build, power supply are so important as after you have dug around all over a new build after having a dodgy power supply you will not make that mistake again, currently have antec and seasonic no problems.

pump.