Hi All,

I was seeking some help. A friend of mine who is on a little bit of a budget has decided he wants a New PC.

I had a look at the recommended builds thread, which I think is great. It was a big help to me when I built my PC near on 3 years ago.

He has another friend who will be building the machine for him and he has suggested some parts. I dont necessarily think that what has been suggested is optimal so I am posting it here

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...tion=wish_lists

That is the build that has been recommended to him.

I have suggested the following changes:

1: Swapping the GPU for the Gigabyte 7950 OC edition. Which is better? Are they comparable? The 7950 is a little cheaper.

2: Swapping the SSD for the Evo series. Once again this saves a few bucks. Is the Pro version that much better than the evo version?

3: Getting the 4570 to a 4570k version. While my mate does not want to overclock now, he may want to give a gentle air overclock in the future to get some extra speed out of it. Thoughts?

4: Swapping the ram to 2400 ram. Specifically this one http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=25082 Is this a good idea? Will it give better performance?

5: Is the motherboard any good that is suggested? Is there better for a similar pricepoint?

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Few things.

I like all your changes, however my notes:

-No need for a K version, if he's not overclocking, its a waste.

-Keep the Samsung drive. Its a good SSD choice.

-7950OC is a great card and will fit the build nicely.

-yes, swap to faster RAM.

As for motherboard, you can find cheaper in the ASROCK range, probably the best board manufacturer these days IMO.

And you've added Windows 7, not windows 8.1; big mistake if you're looking for a fast machine.

these would be a better choice of psu for a single gpu system

Seasonic S12II 80PLUS Bronze 430W 5y $79

Antec EA-550 80Plus Platinum 3y $122

Seasonic G-550 80Plus Gold 550W 5y $129

G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM (2x4GB) DDR3 $105 is the best performance ram for that mb

its not worth going over 1600mhz unless you get a z87 mb and its not worth getting that unless you intend to oc or run cf\sli

some cash could be saved by getting a b85 mb if none of the features on the h87 are needed

ASUS B85M-G $89.00

ASRock B85M-PRO4 $92

case wouldnt be my first choice but that is something best left to the buyer unless low noise or a compact size is a priority over looks then i may have some suggestions

for the gpu if looking to pccg the 7950 stock they have left isnt very cheap anymore

Powercolor Radeon HD7970 3GB OC $329 is good value if noise isnt a huge concern but going by the hsf added for a build that wont be overclocked maybe it is? as a stock hsf is good enough otherwise

128g ssd and a 3tb green hdd? thats not good enough

250g samsung evo would be the minimum i would go and i would still make it a 7200rpm toshiba hdd

or maybe a 500g samsung evo then i could make do with a slow green drive for storage

the pro version is a better ssd and i would use it for a write intensive work pc but for a game pc its wasted

Edited by Dasa

Thanks very much for the responses.

I'll direct my mate here to have a read.

I agree its a bit of a waste getting the extra heat sink if hes not going to be overclocking.

Cheers!

And you've added Windows 7, not windows 8.1; big mistake if you're looking for a fast machine.

... Also, smack him around for trying to get Windows 7.

Wait, what?

You rekon 8.1 is better than 7?

Edited by Electr0

Yes. Why wouldn't you?

Error handling alone is enough to convince me.

Put in a known bad stick of RAM and use a windows 7 PC, now do the same on Windows 8.

I personally replace Explorer.exe with windows 7's explorer.exe because I prefer the interface, but yeah, the OS is night and day for me.

I had trouble diagnosing a few clients machines untill I realised how sturdy it is and it WAS ram afterall.