Sign in to follow this  
martyr

International TV

Probably a stupid question. Also not sure if the right place to put it but figure it's sort of display related...

I notice every few houses in Melbourne have a massive dish in the backyard and it got me wondering if these are used to access international tv? Then I thought it would be kinda cool if that is possible particularly for sports, say ice hockey from us...

So is it possible? Is it as easy as buying a dish and pointing it in the right direction or is there some subscription services or something that you need to sign up for? Or is it easier just getting pay tv?

Anyways, is here anyone with experience with this sort of thing and just how hard is it to access this sort of stuff?

Hmmm, yeah there would be a language barrier for me if I accessed Asian tv so not really worth that for me.

Do ya know if it's it possible to get American tv? Would there be more expenses than just buying the dish and receiver?

.... Aaaand.... Is nhl etc. even on free to air tv in America? Or is it just on pay tv there too. That would dictate whether asking the question was even worth it. Ha ha, I know nothing.

the USA satelites shouldnt be in geosynchronous orbit over Australia.

for the $500 or so it takes to set up, its kinda worth it. a lot of asian TV is in english, and you see a lot of cool shit!

http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Australia.html

Ive seen people CLAIM to get USA\British TV, but I'm yet to figure out how.....

Edited by Master_Scythe

There are allegedly some satellites that mirror USA based services into the middle east, so the troops can watch Maury.

Allegedly some of these satellites can be reaches from Australia. I'm sceptical of this though, even if they were real they'd be encrypted.

Edited by SquallStrife

Im always scouring local swapmeets and garage sales for a cheap dish to hook up in the yard. I love my Asia TV. Do I speak it? Not yet, no. Do I love the crazy shit I see? yes.

There are allegedly some satellites that mirror USA based services into the middle east, so the troops can watch Maury.

Allegedly some of these satellites can be reaches from Australia. I'm sceptical of this though, even if they were real they'd be encrypted.

Its really hard to find any clear information and the only info I've found elsewhere seems to be about 4-5years old and alludes to the us tv being beamed to their international military bases, and some did say it was encrypted. But basicly it just seems like a lot of people throwing maybes around.

I found a couple of sites that had charts for satellites supposedly over Melbourne but I was struggling to read them and work out what it all means.

Im always scouring local swapmeets and garage sales for a cheap dish to hook up in the yard. I love my Asia TV. Do I speak it? Not yet, no. Do I love the crazy shit I see? yes.

That said, I don't mind Asian tv either. I got into If You Are the One recently, man those chicks are harsh! ha ha ha. And there have been plenty of good Asian movies on sbs over the years when I've been bored and channel surfing. I can live with subtitles etc, but probably wouldn't go out of my way to access it at the moment.

I'm trying to find an old house with a Foxtel satelite dish. They've stopped collecting those back now. I want one.

The trick would be to get a motorised dish (most are) and a good control box. Set it to adjust 1* every scan, and scan the full frequency at that position.

It'll take forever (a week possibly?), but you can change the TV while it does it and just let it do its thing.

Depending on the type of encryption, that can be fun too...... ;)

Edited by Master_Scythe

From what I've read 2-3 meter dishes are the go, which lines up with what I see around Melb, and like you said, motorised seems like the go. I'll have to look into it further and work out exactly what I can access before I go and blow money on anything.

2nd hand seems to be cheap though.

Stay away from my ebay bargains :P

Though you're in melbourne. So we're shopping different areas, lol.

Don't worry man, you'll have that market to yourself until I've done a bit more research on this :)

I was kinda hoping it was simpler than I thought but at the same time, figured everyone would do it if it were that easy. I'll keep looking into it.

Edited by martyr

I have a mate who installs dishes for a living. Unfortunately he now lives in NZ but we lived together in Cairo and he setup my dish and receiver for me. I use to get pretty much most channels I wanted (free to air). However you can buy in Egypt modified receivers that would give you free access to even paid TV.

About 5 years ago I brought all my gear back from Egypt to Melbourne but never installed it so I sold it on ebay for a couple of hundred.

Anyway, my point is you do need a big dish (the bigger the better) to get US channels and you need I high end receiver to pick up the channels too. I remember at the time there were posts on the web for frequencies etc as well as the best direction to position the dish to get the channels you want.

If you know anyone in Asia that can buy and post the receiver box and the bit you need on the dish its way cheaper then buying them in Australia.

Thanks for the advice Ishta. You sound fairly confident its possible on this side of the world - gives me some motivation anyways to keep looking into it.

I once knew someone who had the dodgy paytv card. If I remember rightly the provider (foxtel or whoever it is) changed the code or something fairly regularly and he'd have to chase another card, so it became a bit of a pain in the butt. Still, paytv is probably the easiest option at this stage. Kinda pricey tho and pretty sure sports channels are extra on top of the base fees.

Theres a good website to look this up on. But we cant link stuff that discusses questionable things.

Lets just say its an AUStralian TECHnical forum.

TV is another tech im really interested in 'learning'. Sometimes it amazes me theres so much 'in the air'.

Foxtel dishes are too small to get anything that isn't specifically being beamed into Australia, you need a 1.2m dish ideally, you occasionally see them on houses in rich suburbs.

Also, Foxtel LNBs are built for the wrong band, they use KU-band, while free "broadcast" type satellite signals are normally C-band.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I would imagine that it would be more likely that you'd hook into something for their base at Guam. As for whether you'd be able to, or would want to even if you could, I have no idea.

If you're predominantly after sports stuff, I'd imagine it'd be easier and potentially cheaper to just set up a VPN account and stream it?

I ended up opting for something similar Nich..., basicly avoiding scores and downloading the match after - means I can watch it at an appropriate aussie time. Discovered some good subscription services too. Ended up being an easier answer than stuffing around with a dish and all that :)