Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
peter_4059

CPU Graphics - Disable?

Just wondering what the views are regarding the CPU onboard graphics - do you just ignore it or disable it when you have a GPU installed? Does it make any difference to CPU temperature if you leave it enabled but not connected to a monitor?

pretty sure it's usually disabled if you use a discrete graphics card by default. some mobos allow you to use it in combination - see this

i've also noticed a lot of laptops with mobile GPUs will use the CPUs integrated GPU until you launch a game or something, then switch over to the mobile GPU which is a nice idea.

really though, if you're buying a graphics card, and i believe from your other thread you have a 290x, then you don't need to pay much attention to it.

Edited by p0is0n

Yes - now have the R9 280x and I'm happy with it. I was just wondering if the CPU graphics continues to do it's thing despite not being connected to a monitor and therefore generates unnecessary heat load in the CPU? Or is the computer smart enough to realise it is not connected and disable that functionality automatically?

Its smart enough. its not its own chip per-se anyway, so its not powering up an extra device for the hell of it.

Think of it as attaching your blender to the power point, but never blending anything. Standby still uses a tiny bit, but the engine doesnt get hot, and the power usage is so tiny its hardly worth a mention.

Almost all computer chips work like this, most just have 'software switches' so that software can switch them back ON too.

I noticed you're running the same motherboard as I am now. There is an option in the BIOS (or whatever they call it now :-P) to disable the onboard graphics, using a setting called IGPU Multi-Monitor under the North-Bridge Configuration tab. Disabling that should means it won't show up at all in Windows. Hope this helps

I noticed you're running the same motherboard as I am now. There is an option in the BIOS (or whatever they call it now :-P) to disable the onboard graphics, using a setting called IGPU Multi-Monitor under the North-Bridge Configuration tab. Disabling that should means it won't show up at all in Windows. Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice. I've left it disabled in device manager and haven't had any issues. Are you happy with the ASROCK MB?

Thanks for the advice. I've left it disabled in device manager and haven't had any issues. Are you happy with the ASROCK MB?

I used to hate AsRock, but this board and the 2nd hand one I bought before that have been rock solid. Had only used Gigabyte previously, so I though it was about time to try something different

AsRock IMO are the best consumer boards these days.

They started in a very weird way. They used to do dual socket, and dual RAM type boards, and hope like hell the BIOS could tie it together. It often failed; but not always.

Since then, they've gone a bit more normal, and at a guess, since their bios was built around 'making things work when it didn't want to', They got pretty good at it.

They always boot, they seem to never drop settings (looking at you DFI lanparty boards......), and they're usually pretty darn... pretty!

Really I'd love to give a 'But the down side' part of this rant, but I cant think of one; they're yet to burn me in any way!

I've been happy with the Z77 Extreme 6. Had some display issues but have put that down to the previous Sapphire graphics card. The new ASUS card seems to be going well though.