Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ir_xpert

Time to upgrade wireless network?

So rather than run a long HDMI cable around the room from the pc to the tv i have a LG BD600 blu-ray player connected via ethernet and the pc via a 54g USB wireless card to a Billion 7402 router.

Problem is i keep getting buffering pauses watching some video files, this is only a problem with playback over the network, copying the file to usb and playing directly on the LG results in perfect playback. Given that both the router and wireless card are around 7 years old, would upgrading to wireless N or AC solve what seems to be a throughput problem?

Edited by ir_xpert

Wireless N standard demands MIMO (multiple in, multiple out) and should correct the buffering issues. With wireless theres no way to determine where the interferance is coming from, so its not a guarantee.

Considered Ethernet over Power?

If you do stick with wireless, you may want to consider making sure all devices are N compatible, because the vast majority of products suffer a huge performance drop if they're in mixed mode, as opposed to 'n only'

Edited by Master_Scythe

Wireless N standard demands MIMO (multiple in, multiple out) and should correct the buffering issues. With wireless theres no way to determine where the interferance is coming from, so its not a guarantee.

Considered Ethernet over Power?

If you do stick with wireless, you may want to consider making sure all devices are N compatible, because the vast majority of products suffer a huge performance drop if they're in mixed mode, as opposed to 'n only'

I've considered EoP but from the reviews and discussions i've read it seems just as much of a hit and miss scenario going EoP or Wireless N.

EoP is often rated badly because it makes promises it cant keep.

Say you buy a 200mbps EoP, you're not getting ANYWHERE near that, but you might get 100mbps, which is MORE than enough to stream stuff.

I mean, DVD's in MPEG2 are only about 5Mbps; I can stream 1080p youtube (h264) on my 6mbps connection. Sure 1080p on youtube is rated at 8mbps, and peaks at 10mbps, but its a VBR encoding.

Wireless suffers due to the delays of re-sending packets and full on dropouts, not just slow speed. MIMO of wireless N will help a LOT, but you dont konw if it'll solve for sure.

Have you tried significantly dropping the MTU of your current wireless configuration?

OK thanks.

I haven't played around with any wireless settings, i got over playing around with settings a long long time ago. I might pop out to Jaycar later and sus out their EoP.