Sign in to follow this  
blackmancer

run in with a game hacker, traced my ip

I don't want to take up too much of your time, just a simple explanation, you don't have to give exact directions, but I was playing DayZ with 3 other mates and we had a hacker kill us all. He had some beef with me for some reason and proceeded to divulge my hometown to everyone on the server. What I don't understand is how did he do that in light on the fact when I use a trace from an ip tracing website it can only tell me Brisbane, even though he found out I live in North Queensland and even the town I'm in. How did he accomplish this? I can't really find anything useful on the net so I thought I'd ask you guys, because I reckon someone here would know. Thanks in advance, btw the guys name was Zeus something, Zeus Commander I think, on a BHr server, incase anyone knows him.

Mancer

Edited by blackmancer

Don't really know much about this sort of stuff, but for a start it could be someone who actually knows you IRL or you have a profile up somewhere that links your player name to your actual location. EG Steam profile, Facebook, Origin, some website, etc etc.

I agree. NEVER discount the possibility of 'social engineering' He could know you IRL and be cyber bullying (very cleverly mind you).

He could work for your ISP? meaning he'll tease you but never reveal the actual info, because his job depends on it.

If your IP is static, you coulda mentioned where you live on a forum or somewhere, and he googled your IP.

The Anti-Online IP trace website can normally pinpoint a town, sometimes even a suburb.

I wouldnt be too worried.

yeah knowing me in real life isn't an option. I live in a small town of about 5000 ppl. I don't disclose my location on facebook, steam etc. I keep my online life seperate from my real life as much as possible and he divulged this in such a short amount of time I doubt the search option, but it could be possible all the same. when I do a whois search on my own IP all I get is a location in brisbane, I assume my ISP gateway, but I live in NQ. just annoys me because I'd like to burn his house down - thats a joke btw.

If this forum showed IP's I recon I could get your town within 10 seconds; literally.

Traceroute your connection and I'd get a local exchange I bet.

Also, I'm another who's careful online (or so i felt) but really its surprising how much gets out there.

For example, my school published their 'school magazine' publicly on the internet. So there's all that info.

Students, schools, special awards, etc.

Even if you didn't type up your details PUBLICLY in facebook it'll IP trace you and offer "Are you looking for Mr X, in NQ town of Y?" just thanks to referrer information.

he divulged this in such a short amount of time I doubt the search option

How quick? was it instant? As I said, most any networking guy could find it out within literally 15 seconds. Even less if the game has included trace features (and a lot do, I'd imagine DayZ does since its direct connect gaming).

Even less if the game has included trace features (and a lot do, I'd imagine DayZ does since its direct connect gaming).

Ah it's one of those is it?

Ye that would make it a lot easier as the game would be showing connected IPs somewhere in it's interface.

Yeah its kind of mine-craft-esque, DirectConnect style game things.

It was very popular, as it was a real zombie survival simulation (jump a fence, scratch your leg on barbed wire, now you have blood to worry about, or run across a field with long grass, risk twisting an ankle), however due to its 'open' nature, there has been at least 4 major trojans distributed through it when people realized THEIR 'server' could push out 'updates' and so on.

Edited by Master_Scythe