Sign in to follow this  
PointZeroOne

what sub $300 27" monitor?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...3&vk_sort=1

So I wont to get a new main monitor. I do not want to spend over $300. This is going to be a birthday present to myself. Closer to $250 is betterer.

It needs hdmi in so I can plug the ps3 into it.

Well, if the Asus VE278H is on par with the Asus VE278Q, I'd go with that. I own the VE278Q and am happy enough with it (although someday I want to upgrade to a higher resolution and colour accuracy). I haven't done the research between the two...main thing I notice is the Display Port on the Q...which I never use anyway...

Honestly, at that price is not worthwhile, if its going to be your main screen, you want to go quality over size, get a nice 24", or save up more money and spend $400+

I've got a 22"....so 24" really isn't that a big enough difference.

What's wrong with the monitors at this price range?

Or are you just saying because of the resolution and at that higher price point I'd be getting a higher res?

I'll add I currently have 3 22" monitors. So if this 27" is no good for reading forums on, I'll just switch my reading to the other ones, this 27" one would be for gaming.

Edited by PointZeroOne

NukeJockey is probably correct...well, he definitely is. BUT, if that is your budget and you are not looking for a fantastic monitor with bells and whistles I would go for it. As I said, I'm quite happy with my Asus VE278Q. If you want to run a console/blu-ray/dvd player through it and just general PC activity it should be fine...

Maybe that's just me, but I had to counter NukeJockey :)

If you can stretch the budget to about $350, you can get some of the cheap korean 27" screens which do 2560x1440. I haven't tried them myself, but I've read a lot of good things, there is about a 50 page discussion thread on ocau if you're a member there. (edit: just realised they only do DVI do might be a shit idea, ignore me. ) You might also be able to get a second hand U2711 for about that price, just another option.

Just need to make sure your PC can handle 1440p or it might not be worth it, in which case just get a 1080p screen. From the link to PCCG you posted, the benq looks pretty decent.

Edited by p0is(+)n

Well I'm running an ATI 5850, so I think that higher res will cause me to have issues in games.

I can understand that at the 27" size you want a higher res so you don't see the PIXELS, but other than that, what other issues is there with these cheaper monitors. Saying it's not worth it isn't really enough for me :P and I know nukey has super eyesight and takes issue with image quality and frames.

I mainly want it so I can play the ps3 at my computer desk and not have to worry about the kids seeing what I'm playing.

FWIW, I run a 27" Dell at 1440p using a 5850. Depends on the game, but I don't have to turn down too much. Possible issue with that res tho' is it doesn't line up nicely with 1080p, if your PS3 outputs game at that.

FWIW, I run a 27" Dell at 1440p using a 5850. Depends on the game, but I don't have to turn down too much. Possible issue with that res tho' is it doesn't line up nicely with 1080p, if your PS3 outputs game at that.

No it generally out puts games at 720p...

My current monitor which is 1680x1050 scales the image to fit into the screen, but I've got to stuff around with unplugging the DVI cable and putting a HDMI adapter on it for it to work.

Ah, in that case, it won't be much different to your current monitor - you won't get a pixel:pixel image.

The quality of those 27" monitors is likely fine, just a TN panel with a resolution of a 22" screen stretched out.

It'll be fine if you're sitting 1-2 metres away from the screen while gaming (like a TV style distance), but closer and you might notice a bit of blur (especially since most console titles are 720P upscaled).

Since you mention a PS3 specifically, I'd go this BenQ screen as it claims to natively support 24p (i.e. 24Hz BluRay playback). I have no personal experience with the monitor or any other vertically-aligned panels so can't say whether it's a huge leap in quality over the regular tn panels. On the upside it has plenty of inputs for other games consoles should you want to use them.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=22815

Oh, yeah. If they're TN panels, avoid. The screen is so big you're bound to get issues with viewing angle.

viewing angles isn't really a problem though when it'll be only me using it sitting pretty much straight onto it.

But yeah, you guys are giving me some decent info, at least I'm getting a better understanding of the cheaper 27" panels.

Edited by PointZeroOne

I found just with my 24" TN that sitting straight on, the edges, especially the vertical plane, would cause issues if I was actually paying attention. I'd defintely be on the lookout for that in a 27"

I found just with my 24" TN that sitting straight on, the edges, especially the vertical plane, would cause issues if I was actually paying attention. I'd defintely be on the lookout for that in a 27"

ah ok

Well that BenQ is a VA panel, not a TN.

Although that BenQ linked already has an 8ms response time, is that still an issue these days?

This cheaper benq has 4ms and less input ports, but appears to be the same otherwise http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=22843

Edited by PointZeroOne

I would be incredibly wary of comparing manufacturer's claimed response times with each other, as some fudge the figures to make them look better. Eg monitors with 50 MILLION to 1 contrast ratio, and other such craziness.

The only way to know for sure is to find a review with latency/response testing, or see it in person.

I don't think it should be an issue on that screen; the only exception is Guitar Hero style games at default settings - the games now come with a latency configuration to mitigate the input lag that all LCDs exhibit.

Would it be worth stretching up to get an IPS monitor?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=22091

quick read of reviews say that Dell has a high gloss screen, I won't get that one!

Maybe the LG one that pccasegear has?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=23310

Edited by PointZeroOne

It might be an upgrade, though you're probably fine with the BenQ. Depends on how much you value image quality.

It's the difference between being directly front-on to the monitor, or being able to be skewed to the sides, top or bottom. Eg my monitor faces my computer chair with my bed behind, so I can lie down and still watch the monitor without washed out colours. A TN (possibly even VA) screen starts to go black once you're 20° off angle.

If I slouch, the top 25-30% of my Samsung's screen goes darker. It's the main reason I got an IPS for my 27".

As much as I'd probably only buy IPS screens in the future, if that's your budget and you want that size, the catskill type Koreans might be worth looking at (with a few other name brands) to see what it is you do/don't notice.

Well, I am on the lookout to replace one of my displays as well. I am having a hard time deciding on which way I should go. I currently have 2 x 22" Viewsonics (one LCD and the other is LED LCD). You can see the differences in the panels as one is much clear and has much more contrast between colours than the other while the other looks almost like its hazy (best word I could come up with).

So, I was thinking of replacing one of them with either another monitor or a TV. I mainly use the primary monitor for doing most of the computing stuff that I do everyday and the other is for viewing video, conference calls but also to a lesser extent and extension on what I am doing on the primary monitor. BTW, I play most of my games on the primary monitor as well. So, the idea is to get something bigger as the second monitor. Do I go for a TV or do I go for a monitor? Any suggestions??

I've gone a head and bought that LG IPS monitor I linked too

Do I go for a TV or do I go for a monitor? Any suggestions??

I was in same situation, that's why I ended up looking at 27" monitors. I felt that a TV would be too big/bulky for computer desk.