Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ishta2000

Can a DVD Rom drive be shared on FreeNas server.

I am trying to share a DVD rom drive that is in my HP ProLiant MicroServer with FreeNas as the OS. The ideas is so that I can use it to install programs over the network on to my HTPC as it does not have a Rom drive installed.

I was previously using a Sata to USB 3.0 cable before and can do again its just a pain to have to disconnect and connect it each time I want to use it as it does not fit anywhere out of sight while plugged in.

I can't seem to detect the drive to add it in any way in FreeNas 9.1. Tried searching Google for answers and I got nothing. Even the FreeNas forum didn't have anything relevant.

Any ideas?

Cheers

FROM windows TO freenas? too easy.

Right click your DVD drive, Sharing tab, Advanced sharing, and make it a shared folder (name it what you want etc).

Next, (and its been a few years since ive done this), you'll need to map a network drive on your freenas box.

Googling for this is hard, because MOST people want to map FROM their freenas box....

HOWEVER

Does freenas still have a 'file explorer' page? If so, it should be as simple as typing in: \\MyComputersName\MySharedDVDdriveName

and it'll show up in the file explorer.

I know those details are a little sketchy, but its been years since ive had to do that sort of thing, but hopefully it still works. I did the same thing with an old ZIP250 disk drive.

FROM windows TO freenas? too easy.

Right click your DVD drive, Sharing tab, Advanced sharing, and make it a shared folder (name it what you want etc).

Next, (and its been a few years since ive done this), you'll need to map a network drive on your freenas box.

Googling for this is hard, because MOST people want to map FROM their freenas box....

HOWEVER

Does freenas still have a 'file explorer' page? If so, it should be as simple as typing in: \\MyComputersName\MySharedDVDdriveName

and it'll show up in the file explorer.

I know those details are a little sketchy, but its been years since ive had to do that sort of thing, but hopefully it still works. I did the same thing with an old ZIP250 disk drive.

Hi MS, Thanks for the reply. I actually need to share it from my FreeNas system to windows.

Cheers

Still looking for help on this as I have tried finding answers on Google and Whirlpool but still no luck.

Cheers

can you find the SAMBA config file? like.. the txt file that edits the samba shares? because yoiu could probably do it manually. There will be tons of guides on manually making a new samba share.