Xen

Bike rider fatalities and stupid people

Was just reading the article today that there has been a large spike in cyclist deaths in Australia.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/de...958780#comments

I've met both sides of the militant cyclists and the anti-cyclists around.

I've seen many dickhead drivers, cyclists and pedestrians... all in equal measure.

Riding i bike I've almost been hit many times, and had pedestrians walk out in front of me, had car doors opened in front of me.

As a pedestrian I've had bike riders hurtling up the path and almost clipping me, yelling at me to move (On a divided shared path that they could easily over take), had cars / bikes ignore crossings, ignore red lights.

As a driver had both bikes and people go right out in front of, ignore red lights and all of the above.

My thoughts on this are as follow:

If you drive a car you obey the rules... That's a given and we need more cops on the roads just so their presence is seen.

If you riding a bike you do the same above, and if there if a specific bike lane just for you fuck of and stay in it unless you are traveling somewhere that lane is not.

If you are a pedestrian don't be a fuckwit and walk in front of something that weighs more that you and is traveling faster than you.... and the little red man means no more walking.

I've got this nice little rule that came about as wisdom from my mother "Give way to anything bigger than you".

I'm sure everyone has their particular group they want to blame.

My opinion: I blame every dickhead out there, it's not one group it's all of them.

Could not agree more, the standard of driving, riding and even walking in Perth has become so bad that driving is becoming a crap-shoot and rapidly ceasing to be enjoyable.

I can add another category for you as well. A few weeks back I was at some lights, the light turned green and just as I was about to move a motorised wheelchair began toddling across in front of me. I didn't move but the guy along side me did not see the chair and cleaned it up.

Not badly - knocked it over and did damage to the chair, sent the occupant flying but just bumps and bruises. Between the driver and I we got the guy from the chair to the roadside - before anyone tells me you should not move someone I'm a paramedic, I checked him first, then we hauled the chair out of the way and called the cops and an ambulance

The cops were there very quickly, took one look and the older cop groaned and said "not him again."

I asked the cop if he was blind or deaf, the cop motioned me to one side and said "nope he's just fucking arrogant and fucking stupid, thinks because he's in that thing everyone has to give way to him, two weeks ago he knocked over a kid in the mall car -park and he's been hit several times."

The ambos turned up and echoed those thoughts, took him and his buckled chair away.

The cops didn't even take statements from us, said "no point, he'll get off of anything we try to book him for, you guys had no chance."

Gotta just shake your head sometimes at the sheer size of human stupidity, I learned later he was in the chair as a result of a single vehicle motor bike accident.

Cheers

My opinion: I blame every dickhead out there, it's not one group it's all of them.

I've gotten more pessimistic of people as I've gotten older. The above is the truth. Your just as likely to find idiot drivers as you are cyclists as you are pedestrians.

Could not agree more, the standard of driving, riding and even walking in Perth has become so bad that driving is becoming a crap-shoot and rapidly ceasing to be enjoyable.

I can add another category for you as well. A few weeks back I was at some lights, the light turned green and just as I was about to move a motorised wheelchair began toddling across in front of me. I didn't move but the guy along side me did not see the chair and cleaned it up.

Not badly - knocked it over and did damage to the chair, sent the occupant flying but just bumps and bruises. Between the driver and I we got the guy from the chair to the roadside - before anyone tells me you should not move someone I'm a paramedic, I checked him first, then we hauled the chair out of the way and called the cops and an ambulance

The cops were there very quickly, took one look and the older cop groaned and said "not him again."

I asked the cop if he was blind or deaf, the cop motioned me to one side and said "nope he's just fucking arrogant and fucking stupid, thinks because he's in that thing everyone has to give way to him, two weeks ago he knocked over a kid in the mall car -park and he's been hit several times."

The ambos turned up and echoed those thoughts, took him and his buckled chair away.

The cops didn't even take statements from us, said "no point, he'll get off of anything we try to book him for, you guys had no chance."

Gotta just shake your head sometimes at the sheer size of human stupidity, I learned later he was in the chair as a result of a single vehicle motor bike accident.

Cheers

That dude sounds like he has a predisposition toward involuntarily assisted suicide. There's just no helping some people.

-X

:)

Dunno Genisis, there's a cop I know who is well aware of the guy, says he has a screw or two loose but wasn't too tightly wrapped in the first place.

The cops have been trying to get a magistrate to ban him from using a motorised chair but there's no statute or whatever to fall back on apparently, the cop I know says it would make no difference, he'd be just as bad in a self-powered one. Apparently his arms are still fine, he's just lazy.

Basically they are just waiting for the day they scrape him up for the last time and hoping no one else is hurt in the process.

Cheers

I've done over 10,000 kms of cycling in the last 4 years and I've never been hit by a car, nor come off my bike.... And I live and ride in Brisbane...

Xen, I too read this article today (about 30 minutes ago) and I believe every word of it. While I've never had an accident, I've come close a number of times and mostly it's fuck-wits in utes yelling shit out at me and throw stuff at me. (Why is it always the ute drivers!!?!) Brisbane has terrible terrible driving standards. I hear it from everyone that's been overseas, or even over the border. My niece, now with us for 6 months from Denmark, was verbally shocked (ie she told me) at how bad the drivers here are, at how fast we drive, at how closely we tailgate and how much we swerve (change lanes). She's scared to drive on the road here...

Why haven't I been hit. Not because I'm superman (I might be :p). Nah, because I ride predominantly on bike paths and when I ride on the public roads it is quiet back streets or only short stretches on public roads. My typical 30 km route is mostly quiet roads. When I ride on the weekends I'm probably spending about 80% on bike paths. I try and minimise the time I spend on public roads.... Because I'm scared of drivers, of how they just don't get that while it's a tap for them, it can cost us our lives.

We have one of those in my quiet suburb. He drives at 20km/hr just left of the center of the left lane and pulls out whevenever, giving no thought to oncoming cars and his slow speed. What makes it worse is he drives no better in the fucking supermarket! Yes, a few times he's nearly cleaned me up driving inside the local Coles. He doesn't look out for anybody and just straight up doens't give fuck. My wife has had to dodge him a couple of times when she was pushing the pram (with the baby inside!) and he just does whatever he pleases and gives dirty looks. Such a prick.

I can add another category for you as well.

Yeah that's a definite extra category.

Remember there was one bloke who used to do that before, perfectly fine footpath but had to ride in the middle of the road.

I actually haven't noticed many of stupid scooter riders lately.

The main thing around where i currently am is Ignoring crossings (Ill add one on that), running reds and illegal u-turns.

On the ignoring crossings i had a good one a while back, crossing at the pedestrian crossing one day pushing a trolley (which was damn heavy) when this bloke decides he can't be bothered to stop.

So neither did I, was quite funny how pissed off he was at the lovely long mark on the side of his van.

He was so sure he was in the right that he called the cops... turns out he wasn't in the right as much as he thought.

I've got this nice little rule that came about as wisdom from my mother "Give way to anything bigger than you".

Me too. and I'm a 100 kegs of solid muscle... I'm forever moving left or right, out of peoples way in the shopping centers, malls, and footpath. I mean WTF! If you hit me you will fall over :S Maybe I'm not a prick.

Cheers

Ladies and gentlemen, by this *persons* own admission, he is not a paramedic. I'd say more but I don't want to get banned, even if I only post once every 6 months.

Do not believe this post as anything more than a flight of fancy.

Says who Juggs?

I didn't keep it up for a while, but decided to again, if you don't want to believe me there is very little I can do about it.

Cheers

Just don't give up do you?

I begin to wonder what you are talking about actually, I don't think I ever mentioned I'd let being a para go, there was a misunderstanding quite a while ago over if I'm an Ambulance driver or not, I'm not but I have done oversight on Ambulance drivers in my role at the Road Safety Council in SA, that was many, many years ago, that organisation doesn't even exist any more.

Cheers

tl;dr: lies.

Ta. Until you can prove it with a cap of your ctp, you are as honest as when you claimed a degree from that university...

Edited by Juggs

Some of the morons have a death wish by default.

Some weeks back, around sunset, a dangerous enough time in itself I encountered a wanker riding the wrong direction in the green cycle lane, crossing the exit lane linked (I was taking the exit myself).

If I'd not been on the ball, could have quite easily cleaned this idiot up.

https://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=-35...,97.47,,0,-3.48

Additional note - no lighting, no bright clothing or anything else to warn others of his presence.

I find a good method to adopt, whether on my bike, path or even PT (I don't drive as such), is to operate under the assumption everyone potentially crossing your path is suicidally stupid.

That way if the worst happens you're prepared, and if not you're pleasantly surprised.

Ladies and gentlemen, by this *persons* own admission, he is not a paramedic. I'd say more but I don't want to get banned, even if I only post once every 6 months.

Do not believe this post as anything more than a flight of fancy.

Liar. Links or it didn't happen.

Back in your boxes all of you.

Specially you Nich. Don't make me get out the handcuffs again!

Topic = mad motorcyclists. And the fact that Nich looks like a Banditos dropout.

Or maybe that's just the hair.

Oh lol, it's like old home week in here.

So far I've not had any tricky situations with pushies.

Mind you I think anyone that wants to ride up here ( with our crappy roads and heat ) is a bit deranged any way, so I give them all a wide berth.

Hmm,

Not quite, the old days the front page would have lit up...

Dunno what to say really, except I just had the usual shopping adventure in one of our local shops, a trolley that wanted to go RIGHT and a ped crossing that was fun to negotiate since some genius put it over a speed hump and a hoon (in a pristine ute) wanting me to speed up...

I was sort of tempted to let the trolley do fly into his bumper but just told hm which orifice his head should be in and took my time as economically as possible.

As kikz remarked elsewhere I'm not exactly small, and I keep fit, he had second thoughts...

Dunno what "society" is coming to really, certainly less civilised, in RL and on line...

Might guess as a general comment that there is a generational schism... but that would disrupt the thread, one I find interesting.

Cheers

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I've ridden a LOT of kms in Sydney, and it's kill or be killed.

Beofre I actually started riding myself, there were a couple of behaviours I observed in riders that I both couldn't understand and that annoyed me:

Red Lights - Seeing riders go through red lights used to annoy the hell out of me. However, once I started riding, I did it myself. Why? Because getting a bit of a start on traffic is actually a lot safer than trying to get up to speed as the lights go green. You have the least control over a bike in the first few metres of trying to start, and riding is safest when you're doing as close to the speed of the rest of the traffic as possible. In Sydney people will pass very, very close to you at the lights, and think nothing of giving you a face full of fumes by accelerating hard to prove their point. Getting rolling a few seconds before the lights went green made things feel a hell of a lot safer for me. Granted, you need to be very vigilant in checking traffic, but I found it just made things easier for everyone. Riding through ahead of the cars also let's everyone know you're there as they see you go through the lights ahead of them.

Riding in the middle of the lane - As I mentioned above, people will pass very close. Being forced into the gutter with it's drop offs, cracks and open drains is a pretty terrible experience. It just takes for your tires to fall into a crack or drain on you're off the bike, potentially into traffic. Equally important, riding in the middle of the lane puts you front and centre of vision for the driver behind you and anyone looking to change into your lane. Again, this used to annoy me as a driver, but once I started riding I appreciated why riders do it.

Once I started doing those things I never felt too bad riding in Sydney. You need to keep a rhythm with traffic - racing up to red lights is dumb, the trick is to keep yourself rolling as much as possible, and keep yourself as "seen" as possible. Telegraph your intention to other drivers and don't make any sudden moves. At the end of the day I always felt that my safety was first and foremost my responsibility as I was the one who would likely wear the most drastic of consequences in an accident. You're always going to get jerks on either side of the car/bike divide, but a little courtesy goes a hell of a long way. Don't assume that people have seen you unless you make eye contact, make eye contact at every opportunity, and thank people for their courtesy.

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

OP is right on, but for one thing... In Sydney around the CBD bike lanes sometimes go right next to parked cars, and it's bad for getting car doored. In such places I stay out far enough to not get clipped. Sometimes drivers don't get this.

Also re above post, I believe cyclists are entitled to a third of a lane? I make the most of that too. Sydney is gladiatorial.

Edited by komuso

Speed Nich. In and around town wouldn't be too much of an issue for a pushie to ride in the middle. Open road would be tedious tho.

I dont get not stoppings at red lights. I do , its the law. Now i am about to do a back flip because i ride through stop signs when i see no cars around. Otherwise, yeah, obey the normal road rules for cars