Sign in to follow this  
Opy

Win8.1 not powering USB Devices

I use a pair of Thrustmaster Cougar MFD panels for my flight sim setup.

Since upgrading to Windows 8.1 they have been just flashing at me. The USB entry is just turning on and off with the USB disconnection sound being heard each time.

I tried various USB ports, 2.0, 3.0, powered hubs and front panel ports. No change was noticed.

Thrustmaster replied to me the day after I made an enquiry and directed me to a Microsoft Support page that gave me the solution.

The fix involves finding the USB Instance ID using an annoying technique with Device Manager. I used USBDeview and found the device much easier as it flashes on and off for me there.

Then you need to find the VID_... entry in Regedit under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\

The instructions tell you to follow that through to the specific ID within the VID_... folder.

As I've tried various USB ports there were a number of folders within the correct VID..._ folder for each device.

I had to go into all of them and in Device Parameters change "EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled" to "0".

The fun part is that if I ever use a different USB port then I have to find the entry in Regedit and turn it off again. A bit of research shows me that this only happens on devices that do not provide a serial number in the USB PnP package.

If you are finding a battery using device is not charging, this may be what you need to do to resolve the issue.

Now I just need to get Gadrocs Helios working to my methods.

It is per device+port combo, I believe.

You would need to plug each particular device into each port to create the VID folder for that combination.

I did a very brief search on changing the default behavior but found nothing helpful.