Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
cohmoddersolo

SSD Caching setup recommendation

As part of my new build, Im trying to figure out a large, fast and reliable storage solution. My plan was to purchase a 3TB Barracuda ST3000DM001 and a Caching dedicated SSD. Is this an optimal setup to go with?

If you require storage for a lot of programs then yes that is.

If you are just storing a large amount of files, you will see a benefit in getting a 128GB+ SSD to install windows and programs too, using the 3TB to store all the files on.

I wont be using a lot of programs, but rather I keep a great collection of Arma mods. I guess an SSD for the boot drive and a few programs on it is the way to go. How about RAID0 2 SSDs?

If you require storage for a lot of programs then yes that is.

If you are just storing a large amount of files, you will see a benefit in getting a 128GB+ SSD to install windows and programs too, using the 3TB to store all the files on.

I was thinking about this too.

My only quirk is that most programs like Games and tools writes itself into the Windows registry ,so that would mean re-installing all the programs if the SSD ever failed. The only way around this i think is find some registry backup program and just re-install registry after re-installing Windows.

My only quirk is that most programs like Games and tools writes itself into the Windows registry ,so that would mean re-installing all the programs if the SSD ever failed. The only way around this i think is find some registry backup program and just re-install registry after re-installing Windows.

And that will probably cause more pain and frustration than just installing the games.

Also you do not have to reinstall steam games. If your steam games are on another HDD, once windows is installed to the SSD just browse to the steam location and delete ClientRegistry.blob and AppUpdateStats.blob, run the steam exe click ok when it whinges about not being installed and let it sort itself out. Once sorted you can log in an play.

If any games act up just right the game short cut in Steam, select properties, go to the local files tab and click "verify integrity of game cache". Let it run and done.

Edited by aliali