Sign in to follow this  
Periander

4K 4 4K

Thought some might get some info out of this and/or be able to provide me with some info.

So I went to see some rather 'swell fellas', and put down about 4 grand for a 55" LG 4K TV (55LA9700). Or rather, a multi-national conglomerate kindly put down 4 grand on my behalf, on the proviso I pay them back within 50 months lest I incur interest.

So far, I'm not entirely sure it was a wise move.

My SO had been bugging me about a new TV for a while now, and I was casually discussing the new 4K format and bam, she wanted one; so here we are.

The picture quality is reasonable in 1080p, but nothing to write home about; or even on a forum come to think of it. I don't have any 4K content currently.

Having no end of troubles getting my HTPC to output higher than 1080p. I don't think it's the receiver because I actually grabbed a '4K ready' receiver at the same time (Yamaha RX-V675). It's probably the low end 4300 series ATI GPU, which I believe doesn't output at the required HDMI 1.4?

Also having a lot of dramas with BR playback in 3D, I'm blaming PowerDVD for that, but it may again by the GPU, (I updated to the latest PowerDVD etc. and disabled AnyDVD and set the refresh rate to 24Hz and played with all sorts of settings, but still no dice).

So I think I'm going to put in another GPU, any suggestions for something small, cool & quiet?

There's a redemption offer for an XBox One included in the deal. Wait time is up to 90 days though; ugh. If you asked me a week ago I would have said I didn't want a next gen console, but as it is I will probably use that as a BR player, (heck, I might even buy an alternate BR player in the interim).

I'm getting a HD version of Timescapes so that I at least have something to show off. Can anyone else suggest other 4K content, (doesn't have to be free).

Edited by Periander

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I recently bought a Samsung 8 Series Quad Core 55" "Smart TV" (1080p), and am very happy with it. I'm surprised just how much of the functionality I actually use.

I looked at 4K but wasn't quite willing to take the plunge on it. Thought I'd wait around until it becomes the standard and the prices drop. I must say though, they look fantastic and it sounds like you got an excellent deal on it.

Enjoy!

Having no end of troubles getting my HTPC to output higher than 1080p. I don't think it's the receiver because I actually grabbed a '4K ready' receiver at the same time (Yamaha RX-V675). It's probably the low end 4300 series ATI GPU, which I believe doesn't output at the required HDMI 1.4?

HDMI® output support

Supports all display resolutions up to 1920x1080

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/gra...ifications.aspx

So reckon you are right there.

Grabbed a cheap R7 240 and that did the trick. 3D playback is good, and I can output at 3840x2160.

Waiting on Timescapes to arrive but found some test 4K content. Played it through QuickTime as suggested but it was still a bit choppy. Maybe I should have spent a bit more a the GPU.