mark84

PSA: Winamp closing down

I use Foobar2000, it's intimidating at first but once you use the layout manager and increase the text size (1440p monitor), it's really flexible.

I also use it as my FLAC and LAME encoder frontend, it does a good job and can auto-tag files.

I hardly ever play music on the 'puter. I think I still have a WinAMP instlled, but god only knows what version it is - I don't even remember the last time I used it.

I switched to foobar years ago after noticing that Winamp didn't sound as good. Probably rectified in subsequent years. Foobar is fantastic.

I use Winamp exclusively, I even have a Winamp Remote app on my android phone for controlling it.

I also have a Winamp App on my phone, beats the built-in music player, and I paid for all the upgrades.

Love Winamp, still use it almost daily, hands-down the BEST out of the box music library I've ever used. I don't know why everybody else gets albums wrong, but Winamp has never let me down. I've downloaded the (now) final version and will keep loving it.

Have had a few recommendations for foobar over the years, tried it once but found it too much bother to get it set up for anything useful. If it's still the same I don't see any reason to bother.

I use mediamonkey as well. It's my second favourite music player ever, after Amarok 1.0 which only worked on Linux but was the tits.

-X

I use spotify and add my local mp3's. Before that I used iTunes. Haven't used winamp since forever. I'm amazed this hasn't happened earlier.

Hmm,

Agreed kikz, I didn't know it was still around.

My needs in media player are very modest, MediaMonkey suits me fine - one of my brothers is a big music player, uses spotify and loves it

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

What the?! Never thought I'd see the day!

I use Winamp exclusively (I've been using my favourite skin for... years and years). The very first application to be installed on a fresh born, and the first one to be loaded when I sit down at the computer - I don't like silence :-) I have extensive playlists to cater to all my moods :-p (well, maybe not all my moods :-p ).

It seems odd to be sad about the passing of an application, but it's almost the passing of an era, to me. Damn.

Farewell, Winamp.

Just got the last build and a sweet-looking skin... Figured I might as well, since there won't be another one. It can sit on an archive disk until I need it.

What the?! Never thought I'd see the day!

I use Winamp exclusively (I've been using my favourite skin for... years and years). The very first application to be installed on a fresh born, and the first one to be loaded when I sit down at the computer - I don't like silence :-) I have extensive playlists to cater to all my moods :-p (well, maybe not all my moods :-p ).

It seems odd to be sad about the passing of an application, but it's almost the passing of an era, to me. Damn.

Farewell, Winamp.

You readed my mind.

Dammit though, on the bright side their lack of recent updates hasn't affected my at all over the last few years so I guess this latest news won't affect me either. I have the paid version and as long as it's still functional then it's all good. I haven't found anything else that will do what winamp does in the same simple manner. Would have liked to see milkdrop updated though, that would be awesome using modern graphics capabilities. Maybe it can picked up by the open source community now and polished up?

I recently encoded a DVD Audio disc into mp3 surround format.

Winamp is afaik the only player that plays mp3 surround files back in 5.1 glory. Pretty sure Foobar and VLC can't handle the extra channels. Anyone know differently?

Dammit though, on the bright side their lack of recent updates hasn't affected my at all over the last few years so I guess this latest news won't affect me either. I have the paid version and as long as it's still functional then it's all good. I haven't found anything else that will do what winamp does in the same simple manner. Would have liked to see milkdrop updated though, that would be awesome using modern graphics capabilities. Maybe it can picked up by the open source community now and polished up?

Like THIS?

HOLY FUCK HOLD ON!

and associated Web services will no longer be available

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO ALL THE SHOUTCAST STREAMS!!?!?!?!

I think what I liked about winamp was its simplicity. You could download a file, and play it while it downloaded. If it hit the end of the 20 seconds it had when you added it, it'd play into the negatives untill it hits the end of the currently downloading stream.

It didnt lock files as 'In Use' unless you pause them while playing.

Its super lightweight.

And since I disable everything, its super fast (classic skin FTW).

I guess I don't have to pay for the last version in a month then. While a legal black zone, it'll officially be abandonware.

EDIT: actually, upon trying to do the right thing for the last release, I thought for $20, lets make it official....

[big Red X] "Winamp Pro Store not available!"

Well then! Abandonware treatment it is!

I wish they'd release the pro version for free, OFFICIALLY if they're closing down AND not selling anymore.

Edited by Master_Scythe

I guess I don't have to pay for the last version in a month then. While a legal black zone, it'll officially be abandonware.

Winamp still belongs to AOL. It's not abandonware by any stretch.

I recently encoded a DVD Audio disc into mp3 surround format.

Winamp is afaik the only player that plays mp3 surround files back in 5.1 glory. Pretty sure Foobar and VLC can't handle the extra channels. Anyone know differently?

Like THIS?

Oh Milkdrop2? Sorry, yeah that's what I have, what I'd like to see is Milkdrop 3 :)

(though soundspectrum AEON comes pretty close and is much purdier, needs more maps though )

Winamp still belongs to AOL. It's not abandonware by any stretch.

So they'll continue to support it, and sell it to me? It sounded to me like they abandoned the project\product?

I suppose abandonware has a more steict definition of so many years out of production... but still you get my point.

Maybe a 3rd party will sell it to me?

Edited by Master_Scythe

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I use spotify and add my local mp3's. Before that I used iTunes. Haven't used winamp since forever. I'm amazed this hasn't happened earlier.

Pretty much the same kikz.

The best part about Spotify is that I don't have to use iTunes anymore....

So they'll continue to support it, and sell it to me? It sounded to me like they abandoned the project\product?

I suppose abandonware has a more steict definition of so many years out of production... but still you get my point.

No, abandonware means the copyright holder no longer exists, so there's nobody to enforce the right of copy any more.

Windows 3.11 is no longer supported or sold, but it isn't "abandonware". If you want a copy, you need to buy it off someone else, or obtain it through a channel like MSDN or Technet.

Edit: It seems like some people have a way broader definition than I use. IMHO, if a copyright holder still exists and *could* go after you for copyright (e.g. sites getting taken down for hosting console ROM dumps), then the software isn't really "abandoned".

Edited by SquallStrife

Yeah shoutcast will probably go.

ALSO, Nullsoft installer, much if its support community (apparently) lives in the official Winamp forums, they may have to move shop somewhere else too.

RIP. I tend to update everytime I do a fresh OS reinstall, and then copy my archived/backup version back in place to do a dirty import of my current playlist and settings.

I don't think I've played with the settings or skin in around a decade or more.

Hopefully it keeps working for another decade.

WINAMP!! .... It really whips the Llama's ass ...

Sad to hear, but any version you have installed is not going to suddenly stop working when AOHell shut it down. I'll probably use it until I can't use it anymore.

:)

Edited by JediKnight