Sign in to follow this  
peter_4059

Graphics artifacts related to game server?

Playing Battlefield 4 last night I started to get a whole lot of graphics artifacts appear. Tried turning the video quality down however this didn't help.

Quit out of game and then re-joined on a different server and the problem went away. Increased the video settings back to high - still no problem.

Is it possible the artefacts are something to do with a particular server or is that just likely to be a coincidence?

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by peter_4059

Can you describe the artifacts? Take screenshots or video of them to show us?

Running what hardware? Driver version?

It's possible for the server to cause some issues like the video below (which was soon after launch) but honestly I can't tell which you're experiencing.

Looks a bit like this - not quite as bad:

The setup is described in detail in the signature block - ASUS R9 280X GPU. Using AMD Catalyst 13.11 beta 9.2 driver.

Edited by peter_4059

Looks a bit like this - not quite as bad:

The setup is described in detail in the signature block - ASUS R9 280X GPU. Using AMD Catalyst 13.11 beta 9.2 driver.

Might be a good idea to snapshot your Video settings too in the game to help.

Too me it looks more like screen tearing and possibly caused by overheating. You could try lowering your settings in the game to the lowest setting.

Then gradually turn different settings back on until screen tearing starts again.

Looks like your memory chips are overheating, that can cause this weird issue. Try underclocking them using a program like MSI Afterburner (the beta is better as it's most up-to-date), drop by ~200MHz and see if that improves things.

Also as codecreeper suggests, vsync will prevent the card rendering more than 60fps and can limit the heat generated... however BF4 isn't known for being easy on cards and this may not help. It doesn't look like screen tearing though.

The strange thing is it continues even after changing to low settings until we switched to a different server then it was fine on high settings.

The ASUS matrix has an LED indication of "card loading" (not sure how it works). The issue doesn't seem to correlate with card loading.

It's been playing all morning today without any issue.

I'm going to be pretty disappointed if I have to reduce the GPU/Memory OC to make this card stabe - it is a factory OC on ASUS flagship card with a heatsink big enough to sink a ship.

Also it doesn't seem to have any issues running Heaven or Valley benchmarks on quite high settings and haven't seen any issues in COD Ghosts - seems to be Battlefield 4 specific and only sometimes.

Re V-Sync, I've had that enabled as I couldn't see the point of rendering frames at a rate higher than the monitor could display.

Just had a look at the max temperatures for this morning:

GPU 63degC

Memory 59 degC

Board 62 degC

Power 66 degC

I've seen them hotter running Valley.

Weird, I can't explain it. Maybe a driver rollback to an earlier beta, but I don't know. Perhaps uninstall the driver, run CCleaner (be careful to not delete browser history or things you don't want it to), then install fresh.

I know there are title-specific optimisations that come into play with drivers, so perhaps the BF4 ones are glitched in your install as other titles and benchmarks are working fine.

I'm shooting in the dark at this point :P

Spent most of today playing with graphics settings. I'm finding the artifacts quite sensitive to Antialiasing and Post Processing settings in particular. I've got it running happily with the following combination of settings:

Texture Quality, Texture Filtering, Lighting Quality, Mesh Quality, Terrain Quality all set to ULTRA.

Post Processing Quality set to HIGH

Terrain Decoration set to LOW

AA Deferred and AA Post set to OFF

Ambient Occlusion set to OFF

Motion blur set to OFF

Vsync set to ON

It is consistently sitting on 60fps with this setup. In terms of temps is looks to be maxed out at GPU 75C, Mem 67C, Board 74C, Power 75C and VDDCI 57C. I started out with Vsync off and much lower quality settings and was still seeing these same temperatures. I checked the room temp and it was 29C so quite a hot day to be pushing things.

I can increase AA Post to Medium but have to reduce Post Processing Quality to Low to prevent artifacts. Haven't tried playing with Ambient Occlusion yet however I'm lead to believe it is pretty taxing on the GPU. I was surprised to see the AA Post have such an impact as various websites suggest it is not that hard on the GPU. In any case I'm not noticing any jagged edges so might just leave the AA off.

Is this consistent with what others are experiencing with ATI7970/R9 280X cards?

That makes sense.

AA and AF are what work the card hardest after dynamic shadows\lighting.

Those temps are rather hot; while a lot of GPU's can handle 140*C+ some dont like approaching 100deg, which could easily happen with AA and AF if your temps are getting high 70's already.

Are you case fans configured correctly?

More blowing in than out, and all cans folowing the same 'direction' (front to back, say).

Unique driver 'boosts' for a specific game can do it as said, but the fact that taking it easy on the card relieves the problems might suggest something is physically amiss on the card.

The temps don't seem to exceed these values (ie 75C GPU is the highest it gets and it stays at this temperature if I back off the quality settings and turn Vsync off) - perhaps that's the way the fan profiles are set (seem to stop around 40%).

The HAFX should be good fans going front to back/top. Also fan in side panel blowing onto side/underneath the GPU.

There is actually more fans blowing air out than in with all fans running max however I have a controller so can change the air flow around - tried this but it makes no real difference to the temperatures.

Tried forcing the card's fans to 100% duty cycle with Afterburner and using settings that always give you the error? That way cooling should definitely not be an issue, at least for testing purposes.

*edit*

Actually I think Catalyst Control Center can do fan control in the overdrive panel, from memory, which might be easier.

Edited by TheFrunj

I think I can do that in ASUS GPU tweak - will give it a try. If not there is a nice red button on the card that puts the fans at 100%.

is it detecting RAM temps too though?

Does that card cool the RAM also?

Just because the GPU is OK....... doesnt mean the RAM is cool enough.

By far the most likely explanation for this kind of behavior is that when the level was being loaded some of the graphics data got pre-cached somewhere, and was munged in the process of caching. When you joined another server, the cache was refreshed and didn't get munged that time.

If you haven't noticed graphical errors or defects in other games, then it's probably a transient software error, a bit like how people sometimes get screenshots like this:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9325/cohscrnsht1rr7.gif

What happened there? When the game reached into it's box of textures, it pulled the wrong one out by mistake. It happens once in a blue moon, even to the best coded games.