Sign in to follow this  
fajw

Windows 7 storage options

I have a Windows 7 Dell/Alienware i7 920 PC whose storage I intend to upgrade so that it has two WD Red HDD in a level 1 RAID and one or two SSD and I have come up with two possible options:

1. Install Windows on the RAID and use a cache SSD.

2. Install Windows on an SSD and move the "Users" folder to the RAID and maybe have a cache SSD for the RAID as well.

Which do you recommend? I am especially interested in recommendations from those who have moved the "Users" folder.

Thanks.

Edited by fajw

Why the fuck would you do that? You will get next to no performance gain raiding the SSDs and the caching SSd will actually slow things down.

Just fit an SSD and be done with it.

I wasn't intending to put any SSD in a RAID. Sorry if I didn't communicate well. I assumed a cache SSD would speed things up a lot. Anyway, I'll take that as "2". Thanks.

Forget about the raid1 it is of no real benefit because Raid is not a backup

All raid one is good for is if you have 1 disk fail.

A caching SSHD for Data and stuff does seem to help as this is what I have. An SSD as boot drive and a caching SSHD for my games.

Specifically this one http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=24834

Seagate ST2000DX001 Desktop SSHD 2TB

Games do seem to load faster than on the none SSHD 2Tb drive I was using prior to fitting this drive, but I have run and comparisons so may just be down to better overall drive performance on the new drive.

Won't make any difference to documents pictures and videos stored on it though.

If you plan on using a standard SSD couple with Intel's Smart Response Technology be aware the mobo has to support SRT and the SATA controllers will have to be in raid mode with no raid array configured for it to work.

From memory SRT can only use up to 64Gb of drive space so you only need an SSD of that size for SRT.

I know RAID is not a backup but it is better than nothing and if an HDD fails I will have a more recent copy of the data I need. This is not for me; it is for someone I know and I have told them many times to backup but they don't.

I know RAID is not a backup but it is better than nothing and if an HDD fails I will have a more recent copy of the data I need. This is not for me; it is for someone I know and I have told them many times to backup but they don't.

Then keep it simple.

One SSD boot. 1HDD storage + 1HDD for backup and configure windows to backup daily to the other HDD. Far from ideal as the backup drive should be external and removable, but it is something.

The reason I say this over Raid1 is they will assume they have a backup available if they accidentally delete something. Raid 1 won't do that as the change will be written to both drives.

If they have the quota and not large amounts of data you could even set up some sort of cloud backup for their personal data eg Dropbox does 2Gb for free.