Sign in to follow this  
fajw

Windows Update not working

I have done a clean install of Windows XP Home Edition OEM with SP3 and Windows Update won't work. It stays for ever saying it is checking and the green stuff inside the bar moves indicating progress but it never gets to the stage where I can choose and install updates. I have tried manually installing Windows Update Agent and I have tried using Microsoft Update instead but none of it works. Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply. The time was fine and I tried installing IE 8 but it didn't help.

Thanks for the reply. The time was fine and I tried installing IE 8 but it didn't help.

Did you check the month and year as well? These are the critical two for updates to work.

As for IE8 check it has installed properly from help > about. Also the new windows update version will have to be installed which should present a yellow bar across the top or bottom of screen saying something about installing an addon.

If you have all addons blocked then it won't work.

Have you actually got a working internet connection on that PC? Not using a VPN or some weird DNS?

Yeah; I checked the month and year as well. I don't have an add-on blocker. It does have a working Internet connection. It was behind a proxy but I made it bypass the proxy and get the same issue.

Success! I'm not sure what did it, but it is working now. Maybe I just didn't know how long to wait. I waited for over two hours before and was not keen to do that again. I suppose a good thing to do would be to check if there is CPU usage in Task Manager and wait while there is. I tried a few things: updating IE, installing two versions of Windows Update Agent, installing Windows Installer, installing Windows Genuine Advantage Tool, running Microsoft "Fix It" software, etc.

Edited by fajw

Why are you using Windows XP?

Nothing wrong with XP, especially for basic use and on older hardware that won't run 7 or 8.

Although in ~130 days when it stops being supported I won't be recommending it because of security reasons.

As a result of further investigation it looks like installing IE 8 and Windows Update Agent does the trick.

Although in ~130 days when it stops being supported I won't be recommending it because of security reasons.

Exactly

April 8th 2014 to be exact.

Linky

Edited by bowlen

And what's the point of paying for another operating system when you don't need it?

And what's the point of paying for another operating system when you don't need it?

If you use XP...then you do need it