Sign in to follow this  
Bundy

Question about Telstra 4g and bigpond steam server

Can anyone confirm, preferably form experience not assumption that it is true that if I am on Telstra 4g internet that if I make sure I am downloading a game from the Telstra steam server that it is indeed outside of my cap?

I have Steam Content Server Limiter with Telstra Bigpond selected and the Telstra server selected in steam settings and I do notice a drop in average download speed indicating it's doing something but last month I seemed to fly through my cap faster than what can be explained.

Note the guy on the support phone couldn't tell me if when it came to games on steam it was outside cap or not because Steam content limiter is not a Telstra program etc....

i use tcpview to make sure the ip being used for the dl is a bigpond server

if you have a cap then i guess your on a bigpond plan not a telstra uncapped plan

they sure go quick if a download gets going while your not looking your $100+ cap can be blown in under a hour

steam limit i think is the current program im using

First, the server setting in Steam is only a preferred server. Unless you actually block all other Steam servers then Steam will happily use any server anywhere in the world to get it's content.

http://go.bigpond.com/unmetered/

BigPond Unmetered sites don't apply online to Dial-up, Satellite and Hourly plans. On mobile, unmetered sites don't apply to Telstra 2G customers, International Roaming or content accessed via the internet browser on a mobile instead of via the BigPond portal.

Unmetered sites let BigPond Broadband Members on ADSL, Cable or Wireless plans (excluding pre-paid or hourly plans) access downloads, video streams and editorial content without affecting their monthly usage limit.

And

All unmetered sites will display the BigPond Unmetered icon (green dot), Unmetered Icon usually in the top right of the screen (although that's no good for Steam).

You could try Steam limiter https://code.google.com/p/steam-limiter/ to block non-Telstra/Bigpond Steam servers but be aware it will need updating every time they change their server IP addresses.

I would try that and set it up for the relevant servers and try a small download first.

Thanks,

Yea thats the program I use, perhaps its out of date because it seems my downloads are not unmetered at the moment.

::Edit::

Using tcpview it looks like I am only connecting and receiving data from

"203.39.198.136"

Which according to a post on Whirlpool is a Telstra GameArena server but my account doesn't show the usage in yellow.

Weird because from what I read I should be unmetered on GameArena. Im 4g and on a proper plan.

Edited by Bundy

Phone them.

Lie about having phoned before and demand to speak to level 2 support.

Then start explaining your problem.

Don't know if its still in place; but telstra used to have a swear meter on their hold service. Swear into the 'hold music' 4\5 times and you get bumped to the next caller to be answered (trying to avoid 'angry' customers). This was a good 5 years ago though; dont know if its still the case. They're probably on VOIP now, not PBAX.

Either way; Its an interesting one and I'll be curious to hear what they say......

Thats hilarious..

I will call them after lunch, thanks dude

I had no idea there was such a thing as level 2 support.

Edited by Bundy

there is.

You have the people who answer the phones, then you have the people who are authorised to make the changes.

Its a normal help desk type setup. Phone people log the job, level 2 fixes it. Problem is they often dont log it correctly.

One of my close mates is a call centre manager for telstra. He does sales; but he knows how they operate.

Edited by Master_Scythe

No idea if this is within your consideration, but if all else fails you could use the "rarfile" module from python, and write up a batch extraction. Because you can then set it up to ignore any errors. I could help you with this, if you get stuck with no other options.