Sign in to follow this  
cohmoddersolo

HD7950 OC to GTX760

downgrade

7950 was comparable to gtx670 at 1920x1080 and better at higher res

gtx760 is a cut down gtx670

if you want a real upgrade you would have to go gtx780 going green isnt cheap

Edited by Dasa

Will it be a sidegrade or upgrade for me? I for some reason prefer to be with the green team...

Any particular reason why you prefer Nvidia? The 7950 is still a powerful card and it should be easy for you to grab a 2nd one if you want more power, running 2 in crossfire myself and my rig plays everything I throw at it.

My understanding is that the green team has products that run cooler and quieter, which is what I'm currently looking for in the build. I believe they also have better drivers as I've seen graphs of the 760 beating the 7950 in BF4.

reference 7950 is only 800mhz so it is slower in bf4 at 1080p

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powerco...PCS_Plus/9.html

but a 925mhz model would be within 5-10% of that 925mhz 7970 which puts it in the performance range of gtx670 at 1080p and a 1000mhz 7950 would perform much the same as a 925mhz 7970

better drivers? maybe in some things but worse in others both are making updates all the time and both have there fair share of bugs

as for who has the most bugs or worst bugs at any given time? i have no idea but if i was to base it of the number of peoples opinions rather than the number of bugs i have seen then nvidia is always way in front

but just going by what i have seen of problems on forums and personal experience with both they are close with nvidia in front more often than not although imo not far enough infront to justify the price premium

i have noticed it is very common when something goes wrong with a game to quickly just blame amd drivers sometimes this blame is correct and sometimes its not with nvidia users getting the same issues

as for power use which = heat put out by the card

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powerco...CS_Plus/22.html

7950 is the same as gtx760 at idle and better at load although the oc models probably use more power at load there also faster

where amd falls well behind is with video playback and idle\desktop multi monitor use where power consumption is much higher

noise and actual card temperatures all comes down to the cooling used on the card you buy

Edited by Dasa

Thanks for that detailed response dasa. I just scored an evga 680 SC for 290 posted I thought was too good of a deal to pass. I shall work on my cooling next!