Sign in to follow this  
krispy89

Random activation prompt

I got a prompt just now on my PC to activate my legally purchased copy of Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit tonight.

Entered in the product key, then it prompted me to telephone a toll free number in my region to get the confirmation ID.

Once my installation ID was entered in, it came back saying that I have more machines than what the license allows.

This is weird considering that I've only used this key once (2+ years ago) to build my current system.

The key is in a safe place that I know of, hasn't been given out or released to the wild, and hasn't been used to build other systems or perform re-installations on my current PC.

Now it's saying that I now have two days to activate windows or features will gradually stop working.

The only major thing's that I've done is install an SSD (Which is my Windows drive now), and install a couple of extra hard drives over the past two years (for added storage (Steam games etc.)), nothing more than that to be honest.

I don't want to have to resort to buying another product key from M$.

I got a prompt just now on my PC to activate my legally purchased copy of Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit tonight.

Entered in the product key, then it prompted me to telephone a toll free number in my region to get the confirmation ID.

Once my installation ID was entered in, it came back saying that I have more machines than what the license allows.

This is weird considering that I've only used this key once (2+ years ago) to build my current system.

The key is in a safe place that I know of, hasn't been given out or released to the wild, and hasn't been used to build other systems or perform re-installations on my current PC.

Now it's saying that I now have two days to activate windows or features will gradually stop working.

The only major thing's that I've done is install an SSD (Which is my Windows drive now), and install a couple of extra hard drives over the past two years (for added storage (Steam games etc.)), nothing more than that to be honest.

I don't want to have to resort to buying another product key from M$.

Just call them and mention that you've had to install the new drive due to an MS update corrupting your install.

They tend to be rather helpful in those cases, and if not... getting rid of the activation message is quite easy to do and in the case of you actually having a legal licence key, who cares?

Now this is weird, just turned on my PC now and checked it out, it says that it's still activated. No prompt to activate over the phone or anything.

I'll keep an eye on it, but it looks ok now.