Sign in to follow this  
scc

Wiered, and annoying, graphical output problem

OK, Saturday or Sunday, I can't remember which, I come back from a walk, power back up my computer and when it gets to the point where it should be showing me a screen to log back in (I hibernate my computer) I get black screens and messages about no input, neither swapping the cables to my monitors so that a different monitor is plugged into a different port nor restarting does anything.

Today I finally managed to take it down to the local computer store, I wanted the staff to check it out in case it was something like the mother board being dead instead of just the on-board graphics card, the guy plugs it in and everything works fine, so I bring it home. Except when I plug it in I still have the same problem, even connecting it to a different monitor/keyboard/mouse set up doesn't resolve the issue, does anyone have any idea why it would work in the computer store but not at my house?

And no, it's not the monitors, I'm using one of them connected to a laptop to wrote this message

So how far does it get in the start up process? Do you get anything on the screen?

So how far does it get in the start up process? Do you get anything on the screen?

At home I get no visual output at all but the screen in the computer store even showed the bios splash, this actually makes is impossible to tell you guys what I'm using, the components are several years old so I don't have boxes/receipts anymore

do you know what display port they used in store for the test?

At home I get no visual output at all but the screen in the computer store even showed the bios splash, this actually makes is impossible to tell you guys what I'm using, the components are several years old so I don't have boxes/receipts anymore

VGA, I only have two ports and when I used it at home I used both

@fajw, not really

Have you tried swapping the cables? Might be the ones you're using with your monitors are faulty. That's assuming you're using the same outputs that the computer store did.

As for hardware, it's always a good idea in these situations to disconnect and reconnect the internal expansion cards (GPU, RAM), power cables etc and then reconnect them just in case they've been dislodged.

Typically the model code for major components will be silkscreened onto the PCB, but I'm not sure it would help very much. Have you inspected the hardware visually for signs of broken components, capacitors etc?

It's not the cables, one is in use right now and is fine, and I've connected the computer to monitors using other cables no problems. Although at this point it would make a lot of sense

I don't have a separate graphics card so I can't disconnect and then reconnect it, anyway that would be unlikely to fix the problem as it worked fine in-store, it's something more transient

I think he's saying that while taking the PC to the store the video card might have reconnected properly in its slot and while taking it home it came out again. No harm it taking it out and then putting it back in I would have thought.

I think he's saying that while taking the PC to the store the video card might have reconnected properly in its slot and while taking it home it came out again. No harm it taking it out and then putting it back in I would have thought.

I read it to mean OP / scc has an integrated graphics processor; Intel GMA/HD graphics or AMD/NVIDIA:

I don't have a separate graphics card so I can't disconnect and then reconnect it

My next suggestion would be to hunt down another device to connect to the monitors to test if they're the ones at fault, a DVD player would work if the monitors support HDMI or DVI/VGA, based on your hardware's outputs. Alternatively, as the PC seemed to work at the PC store, test it on another screen such as a LCD/Plasma.

Within an hour I had one of the monitors hooked up to my laptop, using one of the cables used to connect them to the tower