Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Afros

Masked Lapwings (aka Plovers)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masked_Lapwing

I was reading this, and it seems that these birds breed once a year, the young stay with the parents for quite some time...

Near my work there is a pair of these birds, earlier this year, they had 4 offspring, which grew successfully into fully grown birds, and maybe a month ago, left their parents care, and now they have four more young ones running around!

Can anybody explain this, since apparantly this bird breeds in winter, and its young come somtime in June, is this an odd happening we are seeing?

Plovers are the world's stupidest bird. They run around like they have a carrot shoved up their arse, make nests in open grass fields or yards and then lose their shit when someone walks by said open field or yard like that wasn't going to happen. They are probably too stupid to know what season it is.

Every flat piece of grass in QLD seems to have a pissed-off Plover family camping out in it. They even set-up in a construction site I was working at, what a hoot that was.

I love them, just as I love all friends of wing and flight :-) We see them a lot in the parks near home, standing on their long legs in the shade of a tree, which I think it just completely cute and old-mannish :-)

Not sure what might be going on with your little friends, Afros. I thought they were winter birds, too, as you usually get the little fluffy ones out with their mum or dad when the weather starts to warm up (umbrella weather to ward off tantrums). I noticed a tree in a yard just over from us that had turned golden and was shedding its leaves, so maybe a few things are out of whack this year :-)

In tassie plovers are basically the only bird that'll swoop at you... magpies in tassie are VERY timid, compared to the mainland varieties...

just a little trivia :)

I love them, just as I love all friends of wing and flight :-) We see them a lot in the parks near home, standing on their long legs in the shade of a tree, which I think it just completely cute and old-mannish :-)

Not sure what might be going on with your little friends, Afros. I thought they were winter birds, too, as you usually get the little fluffy ones out with their mum or dad when the weather starts to warm up (umbrella weather to ward off tantrums). I noticed a tree in a yard just over from us that had turned golden and was shedding its leaves, so maybe a few things are out of whack this year :-)

Nah but the thing is, they already had 4 offspring come at the usual time of year this year, and they've grown up and shipped out, and suddenly they've got 4 more come along, thats what I can't work out!

I love all my birdie brethren, but in Queensland plovers to me rate like sparrows and pigeons , there are shitloads of them around and they can be annoying at times.

But my spirits lift when I set off for work and on the road through the cane fields a Sea Eagle swoops past the side of my car (we have a pair nesting in this area) , or when a Barking Owl sits on the fence out side my window and spends 20 minutes just looking at me while i am on the computer.

So many types of birds where I live the racket as they wake at 5am and start prepping for sunrise is incredible and delightful , but the raptors are my favourite birds they face a lot of survival pressure with loss of breeding habitat, and their need for territory to hunt in keeps them spread thin.

I will have to make a clip of the morning ritual round here but I don't know if my action camera will do any justice to the wonderful cacophony or fully show the colours of the Parakeets.

{:))

Plovers are the world's stupidest bird. They run around like they have a carrot shoved up their arse, make nests in open grass fields or yards and then lose their shit when someone walks by said open field or yard like that wasn't going to happen. They are probably too stupid to know what season it is.

+1 with lolz.

Recipe for Plover fun

- Drink some alcohol on an empty stomach;

- Grab a old fashioned circular bin-lid (preferably metal) for use as a shield;

- Walk into an area within close proximity to a plover nest;

- Stay in the area and see if your hand-eye co-ordination can beat the tenacious & precise aerial attacks of the plovers;

- Enjoy moments of great hilarity and excruciating pain, not necessarily in that order;

- Record the sounds of plovers deflecting off your bin lid and your maniacal screams of pleasure and pain;

- Mix the results into your favourite electro-punk tune;

- Have yourself admitted to a mental institution.

Edited by freck

In tassie plovers are basically the only bird that'll swoop at you... magpies in tassie are VERY timid, compared to the mainland varieties...

I don't know, not in Hobart, there is one little fucker that tries to take my head off in Bellerieve

Technically they're not plovers (subfamily Charadriinae), hence why the name Masked Lapwing is more common; the lapwing subfamily (Vanellinae) is closely related, but proper plovers are generally much more migratory.

I think they're cute :-)

... and they're protected so leave em the fuck alone or you'll be dealing with a thoroughly pissed off extinct marsupial ;-)

Edited by thylacine

I did video them this morning at 5.30 am, not a great vid camera only 3mp but you can hear them.

I sorta did it for practice one to check the go pro cam in low light and 2 to see what it took to upload to you tube, its my first tube upload.

Can go to page and choose HQ option but you wont see much more though it may help the sound.

Wonderful Cacophany.

RT 3.49

Edited by Waltish

I did video them this morning at 5.30 am, not a great vid camera only 3mp but you can hear them.

I sorta did it for practice one to check the go pro cam in low light and 2 to see what it took to upload to you tube, its my first tube upload.

Can go to page and choose HQ option but you wont see much more though it may help the sound.

Wonderful Cacophany.

RT 3.49

It's not the cacophany we're after, it's the swooping. Get some video of that, and Funniest Home Videos will probably have your children.

Once, when I was playing cricket, there were some plovers nesting on the field. Guess who got stuck fielding right next to them every other over? Whoever said cricket isn't dangerous...

Edited by SimonSS

Once, when I was playing cricket, there were some plovers nesting on the field. Guess who got stuck fielding right next to them every other over? Whoever said cricket isn't dangerous...

Tried playing soccer with a Plover nest on the center line?

In good light If can get some raptor action I will post it , I am still waiting for good wind tide and now weather to get some weightshift trike clips going.

last Wednesday got heavily rained out, looks like good wind tide next wed but with the clouds about rain is also part of the equation {:))

Edited by Waltish

Something to do with the all two-headed natives wandering around down there confusing the poor little buggers?...

There was one that swooped me when I would ride to and from work every day.

And one day, I stopped and faced towards it and headbutted the fucker with my helmet as it came at me, from that day it avoided me.

Then a few weeks later, it swooped an oncoming car...

Not the quickest of the animal kingdom.