Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×

Just wondering whether any of you have used the Office 365 (specifically hosted exchange) service for clients or at your own work? Just wanting to get your opinions on it?

Edited by bowlen

Well apparently you can have it for free if you keep re applying for the trial period.

That's about all I know about it.

We have a few clients running on it, and it can be a real pain, but for the most part, it is pretty good. I've just signed up for it for my personal emails.

It's great! I've migrated works parent/partner company's to it.

Migration can be a pain depending on your exchange infrastructure, but It's great for a lot of remote users where they are using WAN links anyway.

No more san certificates either, which is a fair saving for small company's.

Not too bad.

The biggest pain point:

Password expiration.

Most of our customers ignore the "Your password is going to expire emails" and then suddenly OMG EMAIL NO WORKIES! Requires logging in with an administrator to reset the account. When it's a local exchange server, obviously it's easier to reset your password. ctrl-alt-del - change password. DONE. But apparently, logging into a website is too hard.

So in that regard, it's a pain in the arse.

Initial setup can be tiresome, but once going, it's pretty solid. We've only had 1 issue in about a year. However, this is only about 50 email mailboxes.

Have quite a few good points. We'll be bringing MANY more people onto it. But it's going to require education for the client.

If you're bringing clients/your company on board, I'd recommend letting them know that the "Password expiry emails" are serious and they should take them seriously. (Word it professionally of course).

My only other suggestion is "Wait a bit". Pretty soon, MS will be allowing businesses to be official suppliers of O365 products. Right now you have to do things like buy it through T-Suite. That means Telstra gets your dosh. In a while, you could be a supplier and instead be getting the $12 or so/month per mailbox.

AD

Not too bad.

The biggest pain point:

Password expiration.

Most of our customers ignore the "Your password is going to expire emails" and then suddenly OMG EMAIL NO WORKIES! Requires logging in with an administrator to reset the account. When it's a local exchange server, obviously it's easier to reset your password. ctrl-alt-del - change password. DONE. But apparently, logging into a website is too hard.

So in that regard, it's a pain in the arse.

Initial setup can be tiresome, but once going, it's pretty solid. We've only had 1 issue in about a year. However, this is only about 50 email mailboxes.

Have quite a few good points. We'll be bringing MANY more people onto it. But it's going to require education for the client.

If you're bringing clients/your company on board, I'd recommend letting them know that the "Password expiry emails" are serious and they should take them seriously. (Word it professionally of course).

My only other suggestion is "Wait a bit". Pretty soon, MS will be allowing businesses to be official suppliers of O365 products. Right now you have to do things like buy it through T-Suite. That means Telstra gets your dosh. In a while, you could be a supplier and instead be getting the $12 or so/month per mailbox.

AD

Interesting. I am guessing you're not doing AD sync if they're getting the password expiry emails? There is also an option through powershell to set users passwords not to expire.

Interesting about going directly through MS. I wonder if customers would be able to pull away from Telstra (T-Suite), and sign up directly with Microsoft? Also, do you think it will be a bit cheaper?