Sign in to follow this  
Tortured-X

It bleeds!

hey all,

didn't know where to post this so here's as good a spot as any.

anyway my main pc is a (shudder) store bought compaq as i'm a broke mofo..

anyway, 2-3 days ago, i was having constant freezes, after a reboot i had to format and yeh.

well, after the format, everything was working great, until i installed my nvidia drivers. As soon as i installed the new drivers everything was fine, until i afked and the screensaver booted up.

Everytime the screen "hibernates" or the screensaver comes on, and i come back, the color of the screen seems to be sort of dripping/leaking/bleeding down the screen.

anyway i'm not too much of a techy guy, mainly due to lack of funds, so i'm kind of stuck on what's wrong and/or what to do to fix the problem.

if i roll back the driver it's just windows normal vga crap, and lets be serious, who wants to use that?

any and all help is much appreciated guys, and sorry if this is in the wrong forum

Yeah, probably building and troubleshooting would have been better, but no big deal.

It could be a number of things. Tell us everything that you have tried so far, and we can start to narrow down the problem. Also, what are the specs of the computer?

If I had to guess from what you have said, it could be a faulty video card. If your computer has a separate video card (as in one that you can remove from the computer by itself) you *may* be able to use the 'onboard' video card (a lot of brand name PCs use motherboards that have onboard video cards, but then use a separate video card instead).

Some things to check / try:

*Try a different version of the video card driver

*Check inside the computer for faulty capacitors- http://www.badcaps.net/ for examples of what to look for

*If possible, try swapping out your parts (ram, cpu, video card etc) for known working parts and see if the problem still occurs

Anyhow, post as much information as you can, and we'll be able to help you better.

*Try a different version of the video card driver

Yeh i thought about that after i posted.

as for pulling apart the system it's on warranty, and i'd void it if i touch it :(

as for specs well: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product...ng=en&cc=au that's the pc in question, and i can't for the life of me remember the specs, sorry :/

I'd say the best thing to do would be to send it back to place of purchase for repair/replacement...