vado55

hooking up sega master system 2 to digital tv

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone know how to hook up an old sega master system 2 to a modern digital tv. The big problem is that we do not have analogue tuning any more in Australia. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

So the TV you're using doesn't have a RF port?

You need an RF to RCA cable.

Edited by PointZeroOne

I think you may be a little confused, we no longer have analog broadcasting in (parts of?) Australia. I'm not too sure about brand new TVs but my 2 year old Samsung LCD has analog tuning.

You could probably try an RCA mod, I hear they're not too hard to perform, I know of at least one member on here who has done several console mods and A/V mods being one of them.

Edited by NukeJockey

Thanks for the reply. I do have RF port and hooking up is no problem but when I change the tv from digital to analogue it cannot find any channels. So when I do analogue tuning nothing comes up, I only get black and white fuzzy screen. With digital channels it takes me less then 5 min on auto to find all the channels but when switching to analogue for the sega master system no channel found.

as I understand correctly sega master system uses analogue channelling and not digital. So when I use auto find channel nothing happens. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the reply. I do have RF port and hooking up is no problem but when I change the tv from digital to analogue it cannot find any channels. So when I do analogue tuning nothing comes up, I only get black and white fuzzy screen. With digital channels it takes me less then 5 min on auto to find all the channels but when switching to analogue for the sega master system no channel found.

as I understand correctly sega master system uses analogue channelling and not digital. So when I use auto find channel nothing happens. I hope this makes sense.

I'm honestly not sure, I can't say I've run an older console on a newer TV via RF, you could be right, it may not be possible. In which case, an RCA mod is probably your best bet, hopefully SquallStrife finds his way in here and can shed some light on it for you.

Just a thought, do you have an older TV you can hook it up to? Just to ensure that the console or RF connector or something isn't the actual issue?

Yeah sounds more like your console or the cable is at fault.

Do you know what frequency the console would be broadcasting on and be able to tune it in manually?

The RF ports used on old computers & consoles are often made from shitty materials so it's worth giving it a look, quick hit with some contact cleaner can help.

A potential tuning issue can be due to the fact that most old consoles output a progressive video signal which some modern TVs won't display properly and potentially won't pick up during a scan.

There's A/V or S-Video mods around for the SMS - well worth doing a search. Better video quality and no need for any tuning.

Im not sure about the frequency. I bought the console of ebay presumably in working order. So tried to hook it up last night with no luck. The thing is with these consoles is that there is no light inside the machine to show that the power is on. So when you turn it on Im not sure if its something to do with the cables or analogue tuning? I read something on line saying that in Australia everything is turning to digital and there will be no more analogue channels beginning from December 18th I think?

there will be no more analogue channels beginning from December 18th I think?

that's for TV broadcast, nothing to do with your console and TV

there will be no more analogue channels beginning from December 18th I think?

that's for TV broadcast, nothing to do with your console and TV

Oh ok, thanks for that. I will have to probably mod it then. Does anyone know who does the modding for these consoles in Australia? Im not quite familiar with these systems myself and afraid that I will damage something.

You don't need to mod the console, just the cable.

or buy a prebuilt cable off ebay

Edited by PointZeroOne

You don't need to mod the console, just the cable.

or buy a prebuilt cable off ebay

Thanks for your help. I will get the cable and see if this will fix the problem.

The Master System normally only has an RF output which plugs into the antenna port of your TV and requires you to select the correct channel to use the console. I've found that its very difficult, if not impossible to tune modern TV's to a game console using RF.

Fortunately the Master system 2 generates composite video natively, (the yellow RCA plug) but it is not connected. It is actually quite a simple mod to add these ports:

http://stickfreaks.com/smsmod.php

I've done this to my SMS2 and it works brilliantly. It gives much better quality than any RF - composite adapter will.

I've also added a 50hz/60hz switch to my SMS2 which is another fairly simple mod: http://www.retrocorner.net/index.php?Mods_...switch_-_part_1

Pretty much any old console generates Composite and even seperate colour/luma in many cases.

Composite forms the basis of the TV signal that the RF converter mutilates into the out of focus static you then receive on the TV.