Sign in to follow this  
Flouncy

SSDs running half the speed they should

Hey geniuses! Need help.

My brand new SSDs are running at about 270 MB's read and write. They should be nearer or over 400.

This came about when I ditched the last of my old mechanical hard drives a couple of days go, and added a couple of new SSDs, to supplement my existing Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD which was my C: - now a new Extreme 2 is C.

Current config:

240GB Sandisk Extreme 2 SSD

2 x 240GB Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD (not RAID)

Intel X25 SSD

DVD ROM

In-

Gigabyte P55 UD6 mobo Win 7 64

AHCI on

NCQ working

All latest drivers and BIOS (I think...)

HERE'S THE THING:

Until a few days ago I was using one of the Ultra Plus SSDs as C - and it benched at around 400MB's before this. It's always been that fast, for months. All I've done is removed the old hard drives, added new SSDS (for data), and for C I mirrored from the Ultra Plus to the new Extreme 2, powered off, disconnected the old C SSD and put the new SSD with the mirror of C in its place. Windows has been working perfectly.

But ALL drives new bench at about 270 (seq) read and write.

Been tearing my hair out.

All OS settings are right for the SSD - but they were before too, when the SSDs were working at full speed. Nothing has changed - though I have gone in and changed everything changeable back and forth with reboots and more benching each time to test.

BIOS is all fine - I think - but it's all the same as it was when the SSD was working properly. All through the Intel controller SATA ports. Tried GSATA and it was miserable, 120MB's or so, to be expected.

All cables are in the right position and order.

Have tried disconnecting every drive inc DVD and booting with just the C SSD connected, same result.

At a total loss - anything you can think of?

Edited by Flouncy

It looks like the Intel SATA ports operate at 3 Gbps, not 6 Gbps.

Yup, looks like it:

Chipset:

6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices

Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5 and RAID 10

GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:

1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices

2 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_2, GSATA2_3) supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices

Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1 and JBOD

Edited by gamble

SATA 3GB/s won't be the issue, why would it?

As mentioned, I've booted up with just a single drive attached, and it was still slow at about 270MB/s.

On this same system before switching drives the SSD was running fine at around 400MB/s.

Example: SanDisk Extreme SSD, which supports SATA 6Gb/s interface and when connected to SATA 6Gb/s port, can reach up to 550/520MB/s sequential read and sequential write speed rates respectively. However, when the drive is connected to SATA 3 Gb/s port, it can reach up to 285/275MB/s sequential read and sequential write speed rates respectively.

Here's a link with some info http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8142

Edited by gamble

Where'd you get that quote from (I'm assuming it's a quote)?

If this were the issue, why was I getting full speed on a SSD before?

Shit. You're right. Also just been reading up a bit on it all.

Looks like I need a new motherboard... it's well overdue anyway.

What a pain.

Still doesn't explain why I was getting faster speeds before, guess that's just a mystery.

But thanks.

Hey Np, I think you might be able to get a PCI-E card for sata3 but not sure of costs, but might save time... a new MB might just be a better long term investment :-)

Yeah was just reading up on SATA 3 cards, apparently only useful for just a single drive, maybe two at a stretch. And even then won't get close to native SATA 3 on the mobo.