Sign in to follow this  
smenkhare

adding new disk to existing one.

My current hard drive is beginning to run out of space. If I was to get a second one of a different make and size, would I be able to create a raid or jbod setup without losing my existing data?

Edited by smenkhare

If you are just getting one HDD it doesn't make sense to have a RAID. JBOD is fine.

You can maybe cheat and mount the new drive as a folder on the existing drive?

Edited by Nich...

I don't know why you would need to bother setting RAID or JBOD if you only have 2 disks, just plug it in and it will work. The only way you can lose data is by somehow formatting the wrong disk. This is effectively JBOD anyway but JBOD is a term usually associated with HBA or raid card passing the disk directly to the OS not 'just a bunch of disks' inside your average PC.

Assuming you're using windows, once you connect it you will need to go to the computer management MMC and initialize the disk and create a partition, takes 2 mins and should be very obvious which disk is which, so really there is no risk.

Again, don't bother with adding it to your RAID controller or anything unless that's the only place you can connect it.

I don't know why you would need to bother setting RAID or JBOD

Same, especially when Libraries work so well in Windows 7/8.

It's how I have my local HDDs set up, plus the server shares, so if I go to the video library it shows all the videos on the local PC and the server.