Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Cybes

Perodic dropouts

I'm looking for either confirmation of my guess, or alternate explanation. If you have even a vague idea of an explanation, please speak up.

Ok, here's the issue: on the half hour, plus or minus about 5 minutes (ie: 5 to-5 past, and 25-35 past) my connection in online games, web browsers, email clients etc drops out. I've run many traceroutes on the various targets when this occurs, and found that the URL form of address fails to resolve beyond my own router; but the IP numeric resolves just fine. (I'm making the assumption that the reason all those apps fail is that they're attempting to use the URL for of address, rather than the numeric.) To add weirdness points, I get DNS results for the names of serves on the trace!

I guessed there was a DNS failure. But changing which DNS to use does not matter: whether the ISP's own, or Google's, or wherever, the symptoms are the same.

Anyone got any ideas? My ISP's tech support people seem to be running in circles changing my IP group, getting me to change DNS, and resetting the router to factory settings.

Its the router. Probably heat, try running it with the top off.

Ive seen similar faults (single layers of networking dropping out) on a lot of modems. People forget a modejms life can be as short as 2 years if you're a heavy torrenter and work it hard.

Basically remember that a modem is a small unix box, and there are services running. Single ones can fail without the other doing so.

Disable all logging, disable QoS (even if no rules are applied), disable IPv6, turn off UPnP, and if you know how (seems you do :P) turn off the DHCP server.

While we're here, disable whatever types of WiFi you dont have. (disable N, or set it to N only) also make sure its a 20mhz bandwith. 40mhz stable doesnt exist on home networking really yet (true! telnet in and watch).

We're literally trying to decrease the SOC workload, and stop the traffic from being routed through extra services.

This is the area where I shine :P not a lot makes sense in retail networking. I have a mate who works fulltime on cisco gear, and his head almost explodes at the backward home routers, lol.

Well..! Many thanks, MS! I had no idea layers could fail like that - I thought they were an all-or-nothing deal. I shall make changes and see what happens.

If nothing happens, it gives me an excuse to buy some shiny new kit. ;)

Well, then. As much disabled as can be whilst still maintaining function, and she's still fitting. Looks like it's time for a new one.

Yeah i got the same thing at the moment.

You can extent the life of the routers by cutting a hole in the case and attaching a fan to it.

Don't know why the home consumer stuff doesn't have any cooling on them.

Cybes what's your connection type and who with?

Oh and which router/modem?

Edited by aliali

Cybes what's your connection type and who with?

Oh and which router/modem?

ADSL (not 2+ - I was really looking forward to the NBN) with Exetel.

The router is a Zyxel 660 Prestige.

7800nl is what you want with exetel. Look into SnR tweaking, and be sure to change your 'ADSL profile' in their members portal.

may as well order a pack of $1 ramsinks for your new modem while you're at it. Ive never had one fail on me personally; but i ram sink and fan all my peripherals.

7800nl is what you want with exetel. Look into SnR tweaking, and be sure to change your 'ADSL profile' in their members portal.

may as well order a pack of $1 ramsinks for your new modem while you're at it. Ive never had one fail on me personally; but i ram sink and fan all my peripherals.

Thanks, man.

Thanks, man.

The broadcom chipset makes a hell of a difference with Either Exetel or TPG.

I run a 7800N and i can't see myself changing anytime in the future.

Another thing you can do is monitor the latency of the connection as it seems to predicate a dropout i usual just ping one of Googles DNS servers (8.8.8.8) and reset the router when the latency starts getting into the 600ms.

Also try disconnecting all but one device from the router (Wireless as well) and slowly add them back in to see if one of them is causing issues.

That and the usual isolation tests, remove everything from the phone line other than the router (Including filters / spliters).

The MSY around the corner from here is trying to tell me the NL is a discontinued line. Funny that it's still in their parts catalogue, and Billion's, and marked as "in stock" at a few other stores.

Anyway, on the offchance that I really can't get one any more, is the NX, NXL, or VPDX/VDOX (which Whirlpool seems to think is basically the same unit with more bells) a siutable replacement? The idea that these things are not entirely interchangeable has kinda shaken my confidence - I would have just thrown any old midrange unit in.

Edited by Cybes

basically you just want to make sure the modem is a broadcom chipset. AFAIK all of them (billion) allow SnR tweaking, its the chipset that determines connection quality.

There are faster chipsets out there, but they dont handle noise well; for 95% of australians, more than say 2km from the exchange, you'll see way better results from Broadcom.

Also, I noticed on Exetel I'd consistently get better results using PPPoA rather than PPPoE authentication.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Also, I noticed on Exetel I'd consistently get better results using PPPoA rather than PPPoE authentication.

Pedantry warning.

The authentication is PAP or CHAP, regardless of what encapsulation is chosen.

PPPo[E/A] is concerned with getting PPP frames (containing your IP datagrams) across an ethernet or ATM link respectively.

PPPoE has the advantage of being able to traverse ethernet networks without further encapsulation (e.g. you have a DSL modem configured as a bare Eth<->ATM bridge, and a separate router bringing up the PPP link). It's un-necessary in most scenarios, since the modem's ATM interface is directly visible to the SoC.

PPPoA is less complicated, but the ATM interface must be directly connected to the machine initiating the PPP link.

Edited by SquallStrife

That's actually really interesting! thank you!

So if I'm understanding correctly

PPPoA is less complicated, but the ATM interface must be directly connected to the machine initiating the PPP link

This will basically always be the case in a Modem\Router device?

However, not, if the modem was set to Bridge mode, and the router was separated?

I did at one point have a diploma in networking (guess I still do), but 6 years of 'on site' makes you rusty.

Edited by Master_Scythe

That's actually really interesting! thank you!

So if I'm understanding correctly

PPPoA is less complicated, but the ATM interface must be directly connected to the machine initiating the PPP link

This will basically always be the case in a Modem\Router device?

However, not, if the modem was set to Bridge mode, and the router was separated?

That's it.