Sign in to follow this  
te0p

Sound card for recording guitar

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had reccomendations for a Sound card that has a Break out box of sorts, that i could plug a guitar into or Microphone to record. (both at the same time preferably)

I remember creative had that kind of stuff about 10 years ago, but i was hoping for a digital recorder.

I was looking at the standalone units, like the Zoom 4hn but it though why not just get the best sound card i can get and hope it can do the same thing.

Any guidance/input welcome.

Cheers.

OK thanks, i didnt know they had standalone USB to Midi boxes. I was just thinking of putting the 6.3jack for a mic on a guitar into this card:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...9672cfd35e665b4

Maybe i might get both... I liked the look of the AKAI one, had some decent reviews too,

http://www.globalsound.com.au/akai-profess...-australia.html

Using an interface and computer is easier. Portable recorders are useful, but pretty fiddly if you want to record multiple tracks.

You won't need midi, just audio in and out. There are so many options these days. All you need is two inputs and two outputs. For guitar you'll need one of the inputs on the interface to have a high impedance option, sometimes referred to as Hi-Z. Nearly anything on this page will do the job, for example:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces/popular

This one is cheap, and you get some knobs and routing options:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MultiMix4USB#

Thanks, have you bought from sweetwater?

I like the one you showed me, i dont think i need 24bit recording, id rather by the soundcard and a cheaper interface to start off.

Cheers.

Using an interface and computer is easier. Portable recorders are useful, but pretty fiddly if you want to record multiple tracks.

You won't need midi, just audio in and out. There are so many options these days. All you need is two inputs and two outputs. For guitar you'll need one of the inputs on the interface to have a high impedance option, sometimes referred to as Hi-Z. Nearly anything on this page will do the job, for example:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces/popular

This one is cheap, and you get some knobs and routing options:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MultiMix4USB#

Never bought from them, just a rough example for models you might want to look at. I think you might be misunderstanding the functions of these devices a little... A soundcard and an interface are basically the same thing.

Just about everything is 24 bit these days, and it is worth using, so you may as well. High sample rates don't give the same benefits as higher bit rates.

Edited by komuso

Never bought from them, just a rough example for models you might want to look at. I think you might be misunderstanding the functions of these devices a little... A soundcard and an interface are basically the same thing.

Just about everything is 24 bit these days, and it is worth using, so you may as well. High sample rates don't give the same benefits as higher bit rates.

Ok, cool. I might just go the soundcard alone, the essence ST has 6.3 jack and 24bit 194khz recording. Im intending to only plug a mic in and do a classical guitar, if i get more into it i might get a proper interface.

Problem is, no one stocks the ST in melbourne! PCCG are ordered, but at there price by the time i add shipping and credit card costs they will be more than if i pick one up local. So if anyone is selling one of these cards or knows where to get one cheap would let me know, would be good.

You know you can't plug a guitar straight into that card, right?

I just want to plug a microphone in and record a classical guitar (nylon string)

I just want to plug a microphone in and record a classical guitar (nylon string)

Actually you might not even be able to plug a mic into that soundcard, depending on the mic. 

Unless I misunderstood, you said you wanted to plug a guitar and a mic in at the same time. So, I made a suggestion for devices that have two inputs, one for a guitar and one for a mic. Now you say you want to plug in one mic for a nylon string guitar. It's unnecessarily confusing. What mic are you using?

Actually you might not even be able to plug a mic into that soundcard, depending on the mic. 

Unless I misunderstood, you said you wanted to plug a guitar and a mic in at the same time. So, I made a suggestion for devices that have two inputs, one for a guitar and one for a mic. Now you say you want to plug in one mic for a nylon string guitar. It's unnecessarily confusing. What mic are you using?

The first post:

Just wondering if anyone had reccomendations for a Sound card that has a Break out box of sorts, that i could plug a guitar into or Microphone to record. (both at the same time preferably)

Preferably, not necessaryly.

Im not even 100% what i want, because it has been a while since i mucked around with any of this, the last time i did it was Break midi boxes from creative soundcards, i didnt even know there where these "USB interfaces" nowdays, that is why i was initially asking about a digital recorder or a sound card that did similar that i could use (which have 2 inputs for multiple tracks like the zoom i mentioned in the first post) i watched a video where the guy used it and had his electric steel string plugged in and also recorded with a Mic to pick up the fingers on the strings etc... and then blended the 2 tracks together, it seems to give a really good recording.

Ultimately that is what i would like to do. intially though, i was only intending on recording a classicla guitar with a microphone. I was not sure if i should go a sound card alone (has other benefits which i have mentioned here which are factor for me like the AC3 through spidf which i can not get on Realtek onboard which has been driving me crazy)

I saw the 6.3 (2 of them, one for headphones though) and figured i could plug my mic into it, maybe guitar, Mic i have is low impedence 600ohm, not sure if that will work?

I have alot to think about... i think i will go the card, and then buy a interface, the scarlett ones seem to be pretty good, and reasonable price.

Lol I don't think you heard me :)

The terms interface and soundcard are practically referring to the same thing, just different terminology which is probably more related to marketing than anything else. Just go buy a scarlet and figure it out from there.

Bought a Essence STx (no one stocks ST, some do, but it was abit pricey for not having to plug in a power cable....but, i had to move my video card to get it to fit, then it would not install properly either..(power plug i think) finally got it working, Card Fixed the problem with Dolby digital to my AC receiver because i could not get AC3 through the spdif

Funny thing is, Graphics card seemed to run better in new slot. (last slot, supposed to un better on slot one)

As for the microphone, i can not get the recording levels right.. it sucks. firstly my littel cheap desktop mike i plug into the fron panel is no longer doing anything, and if it does it is low (steam Voip mostly) When i plug my more proffesional mic in the 6.3 on the back, steam voip works and sounds great.

Problem is if i go to record off it with audacity or windows recorder, the levels are quit low and a bit of hiss. i think i have tried everything to bring them up.

Anyway, like you said, get the scarlett, at least i have 5.1 !