Sign in to follow this  
redrob

vlc media player settings

Need to know what the best settings for vlc media player are please as some videos are jagged and slow,but others that i have taken are fine.What codecs should i use please .any help on this matter will be awesome.

If they are jagged and slow, maybe your video card and processor are not fast enough to decode such high res movies smoothly.

I have a fairly fast computer, and sometimeswhen i have a few things going on and am watching a MKV bluray rip witht he full works, AC3 audio etc.. it can get choppy, but not often, but a slower computer can struggle. That said, bluray wont be pushing the Dell screen for Res anyway. Only the desktop of set to the full res, games and video editing, but it wont be pushing the screen, only the hardware.

That said VLC seems to have most based covered if it is upto date, as the codecs are updated along with it.

So i suggest first updating VLC.

P.S: I have the same monitor.

Edited by te0p

Gday te0p i to have a fast pc ,but thanks for your reply ,i have to work out how to add my pc specs at the bottom of thew page,thanks for your reply ,its probably not much to worry bout it only does it on some home recored vids.I should mention my vlc is upto date .Cheers

VLC does not use codecs in traditional ways. Its got them built in, so installing more wont help it.

try changing the video output device. I have mine set to Windows GDI (which is the LOWEST quality) because DirectVideo and OpenGL (the usual ones) are in use by a game on my main screen, and i want my TV showing on the other one :)

mplayer is similar; all codecs built in, 'just works' type attitude. Might be worth a shot for a 'one click fix'.

Thanks again Master_Scythe ill check out those settings and

mplayer is similar; all codecs built in, 'just works' type attitude. Might be worth a shot for a 'one click fix'. not sure what you mean by type attitude.sorry im lost.

Thanks bUShi interlacing ok is it possible to know what settings i shouls be using .

Cheers Rob

mplayer is like VLC for linux. and someone built it for Windows too.

http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php

just another app to try for an instant fix\alternative. Its actually better than VLC in most cases. Its what XboxMediaCentre used to use.

But yeah, sounds like the default output is DirectVideo, where as OpenGL is less used by other apps, and often performs better in my experience. Switch it :)

Its under 'Preferences'.

Select the 'All' radio button.

Then under Video > Output Module

change it from 'default' to OpenGL (and try out all the Direct... type ones too)

As I said, I use windows GDI, but there is NO quality in that at all; its all because its light and lets me full screen game while in use.

Edited by Master_Scythe

ok Thats cleared that up thanks again for your help Ill give it a try and download that other player and give that a try to.

Cheers Rob