Sign in to follow this  
Opy

Windows 9 planned for April 2015

Story found here: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft...hone,25735.html

Thanks to a number of sources, here's what we understand will happen with Windows over the next 15 months. In April, Microsoft plans to release Windows 8.1 Update 1 (or GDR1 internally) and Windows Phone 8.1. After that, Windows may likely not see another major update until April 2015, the "Threshold" release. We previously pegged this as Windows 8.2, but now there are reports that this release will be labeled Windows 9 instead due to Microsoft wanting to distance the platform from the Windows 8 "debacle."

According to Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows, Microsoft will talk about what the company plans for Windows 9 this April during the Build 2014 conference. We will reportedly hear about Microsoft returning the Start Menu back to the desktop, and the ability to run Modern UI-style apps in Windows. Microsoft wants customers to get excited about the platform, and these two details should help.

Thurrott also lays out a roadmap for developers, reporting that BUILD will not produce early bits of "Threshold," as the Redmond company won't even begin development until later that month. Currently, Microsoft is "firming up" the features it plans to release in the Windows 8.1 Release 1 (or Windows 8.2; it could be either).

"Maturing and fixing the 'Metro' design language used by Windows will be a major focus area of Threshold. It's not clear what changes are coming, but it's safe to assume that a windowed mode that works on the desktop is part of that," Thurrott writes.

The report states that Microsoft will likely make three milestone releases of "Threshold" before its final release. Thurrott speculates these will be named Beta or Release Candidate, but questions whether they will or will not reach public hands. If Microsoft is indeed trying to shove Windows 8 in a closet, getting a public beta out with cool features may be on the Microsoft cards, similar to what it did with Windows 8.1.

Thurrott reports that fixing the Modern UI (Metro) design language will be a major focus in Windows 9 "Threshold." So far the extent is unknown, but as previously stated, Microsoft is expected to bring Windowed modes to Modern UI apps.

Windows Phone 9 is also expected to be part of the "Threshold" release in April 2015, bringing both platforms closer together. By then, Windows Phone 9 and Windows RT are expected to be one platform. Also expected is a unified storefront bringing Windows 9 and Windows Phone 9 together.

Curious to see where the next version gets taken, but it boggles me a little that they have to expend so much effort because oh ma gods teh start menu is gone! Hopefully they get things worked out better with driver teams than they did with 8.1

The whole start menu affair was a convenient strawman for the media. The issues in Windows 8 are far more ingrained into the UX than just a missing menu. But I've argued this before.

Thats why I've stuck with W7, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Same.

Actually, I haven't needed a new machine in the time since W8 became the only boxen on sale, and I saw less than zero point in forking out money for it to replace perfectly functional W7 installations. I have thought my lappy is getting long in the tooth, and deferred replacement because I really disliked using W8 as presented by default, though.

The main thing that pisses me off is that MS refuse to back port DirectX to Windows 7. Because of this I haven't bought a new GPU. It's becoming more and more likely that I never buy a new PC ever again.

You guys are cray cray.

Really? I haven't had the opportunity to play with W8 beyond what is presented in stores. That is an unapologetically touch-screen OS, suitable for tablets - not for the sorts of things I want to do with a laptop. To me, that's a "no sale" situation to start with, but I know there's more to the story than face value, so I read reviews. Those are decidedly mixed. If they had been mostly in favour of it, I might have given it a chance - if I'd had to buy a new box. As it is, however, the only chance I'm going to give it is on someone else's machine.

It's not difficult or expensive to install a Start Menu if that's what you're after.

The whole start menu affair was a convenient spoonman for the media. The issues in Windows 8 are far more ingrained into the UX than just a missing menu. But I've argued this before.

It's not difficult or expensive to install a Start Menu if that's what you're after.

After I just finished saying I would give it a shot if the reviews gave it an ok... And then there's Cyb3r's comment.^^ Does it sound like a Start Menu is what I'm after?

I use 8.1 and like it a lot. Never have needed to use the Modern UI either. Is a lot more stable than 8 was on my PC, and has some improvements over 7 that are handy

[ That is an unapologetically touch-screen OS, suitable for tablets

And yet so many of the ribbon icons etc in windows explorer are almost useless for touch screen due to being a stupidly small size.

8's desktop ui is just a half arsed attempt at both worlds and does neither terribly well IMO.

Yes there are some bits I like in Win8 but there are some bits I absolutely hate.

I don't really mind the UI for Windows 8.1. I don't like how the start menu defaults to a shitload of useless tiles, and I also don't like the full screen applications, but apart from that, I have no problem with it.

Both those things I just mentioned are easily fixed (such as removing all the useless tiles from Start menu and only having the core tiles (or whatever you want to use), and then changing the default applications to run on things like photos or PDFs.

I am interested in what Windows 9 will look like and how it will act, but I am not really holding out for it. I am happy with 8.1 (and of course, future service packs (such as 8.2)).

Hi Windows 8 sux I found it very non user friendly I had to create short cut icons to do all the normal stuff in windows 7 such as a my computer shortcut a shutdown short cut and so on. The creators of windows 8 are clearly say Fu*k the desktop users everyone should be using tablets and touch screens. I was so pissed when i went to purchase a new Laptop a while back and requested windows 7 and the salesman said it only comes with windows 8 So i walked out. How Microsoft can screw up so badly is beyond me. Would it have been so hard to make a desktop version or make windows 8 a tablet/ touch screen specific operating system? Not to mention all the other issues within

Thats my Rant

Hi Windows 8 sux I found it very non user friendly I had to create short cut icons to do all the normal stuff in windows 7 such as a my computer shortcut a shutdown short cut and so on. The creators of windows 8 are clearly say Fu*k the desktop users everyone should be using tablets and touch screens. I was so pissed when i went to purchase a new Laptop a while back and requested windows 7 and the salesman said it only comes with windows 8 So i walked out. How Microsoft can screw up so badly is beyond me. Would it have been so hard to make a desktop version or make windows 8 a tablet/ touch screen specific operating system? Not to mention all the other issues within

Thats my Rant

Since my last post way upthread, I have had to replace my laptop. I now have a W8.1 machine, whether I wanted one or not. After a day of getting used to it, and a couple of fixing what didn't work the way I wanted it to, it's now a pretty smooth experience: dead stable, and mostly doesn't intrude too much.

Admittedly, there are things which piss me right off and that can't be got away from... Chief amongst those are the full-screen apps with no close button. And, as usual, MS wants you to use their own applications to handle every format under the sun even when they're no good at it. This I can live with. What's trying my patience severely, though, is that now and then for no apparent reason it reasserts its claim to the file associations I've spent so long correcting!

I think if you were just going to use the thing and not care about doing it your own way, it would be more than adequate. Trouble is, that's Apple's domain - and they do it better.

What's trying my patience severely, though, is that now and then for no apparent reason it reasserts its claim to the file associations I've spent so long correcting!

Ye I think that comes from metro app updates and is a right pain in the arse.

If I have set my file associations a certain way it is because I fucking want them that way.

Another one I found recently. The stupid useless piece of shit network scan will not show or let you join AD HOC wireless networks.

If you want to join an AD HOC WLAN you have to do it all from the command prompt which is complete and utter bullshit.

The network scan also insists on still showing networks that are now kilometers away and unreachable. You have to wait for it's auto refresh to sort itself out because MS in their wisdom decided we didn't need to manually scan for WLANs.

The network scan also insists on still showing networks that are now kilometers away and unreachable. You have to wait for it's auto refresh to sort itself out because MS in their wisdom decided we didn't need to manually scan for WLANs.

Hadn't come across that one yet (I don't do much wandering-with-laptops). Something to look forward to. :P

Thats my Rant

and this rant is exactly why the released 8.1

The underlying kernel improvements are more than worth any UI quibbles which, as you point out, are easy to DIY a solution to (or in 8.1, fix; thanks M$!)

Edited by Master_Scythe

Hi Windows 8 sux I found it very non user friendly I had to create short cut icons to do all the normal stuff in windows 7 such as a my computer shortcut a shutdown short cut and so on.

Did you not upgrade to 8.1, or 8.1.1? Was right clicking on the start/windows button to shut down not available in the default 8.0 install?

The creators of windows 8 are clearly say Fu*k the desktop users everyone should be using tablets and touch screens.

For what it's worth, I've never used it on a touchscreen, so I've only ever used it with a mouse and keyboard.

And, as usual, MS wants you to use their own applications to handle every format under the sun even when they're no good at it. This I can live with. What's trying my patience severely, though, is that now and then for no apparent reason it reasserts its claim to the file associations I've spent so long correcting!

I've not had it reclaim things, but isn't the default in Windows always to either use MS bundled software, or just give you a blank stare and ask you to find something to make it work? It just seems like 8 had more in-built file handlers. I don't know. After a fresh install, irfanview takes all file image types, media player classic takes all video types, and then I set all audio files to use winamp. Then it's whether I remember to install an .nfo reader to not have the default system viewer come up getting confused why it's a plain text file.

Am I missing file associations? Office/document files go to whatever gets installed, and the same for .torrent and .nzb files.

Another one I found recently. The stupid useless piece of shit network scan will not show or let you join AD HOC wireless networks.

If you want to join an AD HOC WLAN you have to do it all from the command prompt which is complete and utter bullshit.

That sounds a bit ridiculous. Glad I've not had to deal with ad-hocs : \

The wireless, and shutdown issues both existed in 8.0 (yep, no way at all to shutdown without first logging out, no right click etc menus).

but as i said, 8.1 for these reasons.

I vaguely remember that alt-f4 in 8.0 brought up the shutdown prompt, but it was less an issue for me (single user desktop, never turned off) so I didn't stress too much.

well yes, you could also open cmd and invoke shutdown -t0, but keyboard and console tricks are hardly what we'd call smart design now is it?

And, as usual, MS wants you to use their own applications to handle every format under the sun even when they're no good at it. This I can live with. What's trying my patience severely, though, is that now and then for no apparent reason it reasserts its claim to the file associations I've spent so long correcting!

I've not had it reclaim things, but isn't the default in Windows always to either use MS bundled software, or just give you a blank stare and ask you to find something to make it work? It just seems like 8 had more in-built file handlers. I don't know. After a fresh install, irfanview takes all file image types, media player classic takes all video types, and then I set all audio files to use winamp.

Yes, it has a lot more default handlers - which is a good thing if you don't know any different. It's a pain in the arse that every week it pops up a "You have other programs that can open that" message. It's absolutely infuriating that the fucken' thing has reset image and html handlers to its own defaults twice in under a month!

It's not hard to recover from that. It doesn't take long, either. But it should not be necessary.

Was the update that was just released for Windows 8.1, called Update 2? Or was this just another set up updates?

I heard that MS were planning on doing a lot of GUI changes for 'Update 2', but then decided to just roll it into Windows 9 instead.