Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
spankdmonke

Telstra Offered Cable Modem

Im browsing the telstra site for broadband, it says for my address "Great news, you can get Cable broadband"

So im going to get this.

It gives me the option to buy their moderm, or not...

I dont know what the difference is Between ADSL2+ and Cable broadband, but do they use the same modems?

The Telstra one offered is something like a "Cable Home Network Gateway 3.0 DLNA Certified®" for an extra $72

If the telstra cable modem is the same as an ADSL2+ modem, arnt i better off getting something better for a little more money and possibly NBN compatibility?

Edited by spankdmonke

cable modems are different and last i looked was near impossible to buy one.

imo just get the standard telstra modem (1 port) and use your own router of choice.

thats the route i went for my mums.

I'm pretty sure you need to use the Telstra branded modem. Ring them and ask for a deal, they'll probably throw it in for free.

I never thought to do that, i will try. Thanks :)

cable modems are different and last i looked was near impossible to buy one.

imo just get the standard telstra modem (1 port) and use your own router of choice.

thats the route i went for my mums.

Ah ok, their modem says it has 4 ports. I probably dont need the router. Thanks alot guys

Cable isn't DSL. It comes down a co-ax cable, not your phone line.

You can only use Telstra-provided cable modems on their cable network, so you do need to take one of the units they offer.

The current 4-port one is a Netgear unit with wireless-n and decent performance, but if you'd prefer, you can configure it to be a "dumb" bridge device and use your own gateway router to provide NAT, wireless-ac, disk/printer sharing, and whatever else you fancy.

Cable isn't DSL. It comes down a co-ax cable, not your phone line.

You can only use Telstra-provided cable modems on their cable network, so you do need to take one of the units they offer.

The current 4-port one is a Netgear unit with wireless-n and decent performance, but if you'd prefer, you can configure it to be a "dumb" bridge device and use your own gateway router to provide NAT, wireless-ac, disk/printer sharing, and whatever else you fancy.

What he said. You can buy second hand ex Telstra modems on Ebay but you have to jump through massive hoops with Telstra support to get them to authorise the modem on your account and we all know how wonderful Telstra support is with anything a bit off script.

As Squallstrife said if it turns out to be sub par for what you want to then you log in to the modem UI and set it to bridge mode and configure your own router to do the routing stuff.

Log in is generally admin/admin or admin/password. If it has been changed then a card should come with the modem with the login password on it.

Cable net isnt phone line?

So im guessing i have to pay for the cable line installation...

Cable net is faster or about the same as ADSL2+ right?

EDIT: nvm, telstra says "This means you'll enjoy the fastest speed available in your area." I just need to call up see how much its going to cost to install this cable.

Thanks

Edited by spankdmonke

The current Telstra cable modem is a Netgear CG3100D-2BPAUS. Well it is for the ultimate cable, not sure if it's the same for the liberty plans though I do know it used to be different.

The older modems were Cisco and had woeful wireless performance but the Netgears are ok. I run mine in bridged mode to my own Netgear router and a switch to give me the number of ports I need.

As Cyb3r pointed out, there is a big difference between cable and ADSL in terms of speed :) You don't have to go for the +100Mbps cable(ultimate), you can go for their liberty plans which are cheaper and give you a little over 30Mbps if I remember correctly.