Interesting article on Ars recently comparing HDD reliability for the major manufacturers. Full article is here, but the major take homes are shown below.

Posted ImagePosted Image

This is data put together by cloud provider Backblaze, based on the consumer level HDDs they use.

Granted that this isn't over a huge range of HDD sizes and models, but still - great to see Hitachi doing so well, and a bit of a worry seeing Seagate so low.

Edited by discoInferno

Yeah, the Seagate numbers are a bit worrying... I only just replaced my old Samsung and WD drives with brand new Seagate 7200.14's :-/

hmmm, that does look bad for seagate and I still have a few spinning around the place. For the last few years I've been buying WDs, so I'm happy about that :)

Interesting figures, going from personal experience I'd have to say that 90% of the dead HDD's I see are WD's. Might have to buy Hitachis' in the future. :)

I used to exclusively buy Seagate for their perceived reliability but following a pretty substantial run of failures switched to WD. I've also got a few Toshiba's and Hitachi's now. Had one WD fail on me since the switch but that's all so far.

interestingly, today I just happened to open up Speedfan, and noticed in the SMART tab, my newest drive (a seagate 3TB) had the lowest fitness/performance numbers....