Sign in to follow this  
The Tick

Tick's Photos

First light at Torquay. Clouds cock blocked the sunrise so I ended up with this instead.

Posted Image

Torquay Back Beach - First Light by MattWings, on Flickr

I had another chance to take a crack using the filter again.

Posted Image

Jan Juc - Sunset1 by MattWings, on Flickr

Off the hip shot while the kids were nagging me that it was getting too cold.

Posted Image

Jan Juc Sunset2 by MattWings, on Flickr

Sunrise the next day - trying to keep the filter clean was majorly difficult with the spray coming in.

Posted Image

Jan Juc - Sunrise by MattWings, on Flickr

Another off the hip shot after scrambling down from the rock I was positioning on for the previous shot.

Posted Image

Jan Juc - Sunrise2 by MattWings, on Flickr

Great set! 2, 4 and 5 are my favourites. Really well done.

p.s. also great to see another pics thread. The more the merrier!

Edited by gabber

three and four a nice.

five would be fantastic with a grad nd or hdr.

I had the grad nd but didn't think it would work with the high positioning of the rocks either side. For that shot, I ended up sliding the filter down so the darkest part was covering the lens entirely to see what it would take.

HDR would have been a smart option now that you mention it. The 6D (when not shooting RAW) has it built in. I really need to try it one day.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

All nice, but actually my favourite in No 1.

Very peaceful scene, and I just like the colour.

After seeing Mademan's effort, I went back looking for my attempt at some urban photos - so long ago learning with my 40D.

Posted Image

Untitled by MattWings, on Flickr

These were taken after the roads around Marysville were opened after the black Saturday fires. Riding through the area on the motorbike with my brother when he got a flat tyre. He disappeared back to town on my bike as we weren't getting mobile reception. I was wet, cold and had nothing to do so ended up snapping some photos.

Posted Image

Was never entirely happy with the composition of this shot and in hindsight I know what I would do differently. Maybe it's just the memory of event but it's still one of my favourites.

Posted Image

last 2 were nicely done :)

I was going to say the very same thing.

'Jan Juc Sunset1' is a really nice shot, I like how the angle and position of the camera leads you through the image towards the two figures walking along. Nice work :)

I finally had a good chance to try the canon 70-200 f4 is usm on a recent holiday to cairns.

I sweated on this lens thinking the 2.8 (at double the weight and price) was something I should have waited and saved for. There are some distinct advantages being able to stop down to 2.8. I have to say though, this thing has impressed the crap out of me and I have absolutely no regrets. The fact that it's lighter too means it is more comfortable to travel with me.

This thing is sharp too.

Posted Image

So Hungy by MattWings, on Flickr

Posted Image

Golden-Orb MattWings, on Flickr

Oh and not shot with the 70-200 but I love this photo none the less.

Posted Image

Caitlyn-Cairns MattWings, on Flickr

Edited by The Tick

congrats on the lens mate! the 70-200 f4 IS is a GREAT lens, IQ wise pretty much on par with my 2.8 v2, and is lighter too! you're really only paying more for the 2.8

btw heading down to melbourne in june, might catch up then if u r free :)

congrats on the lens mate! the 70-200 f4 IS is a GREAT lens, IQ wise pretty much on par with my 2.8 v2, and is lighter too! you're really only paying more for the 2.8

btw heading down to melbourne in june, might catch up then if u r free :)

Absolutely!

Massive props to BBF. Thanks for the advice and a great day out at Melbourne Zoo.

A note to anyone wanting to take photos of butterflies - they seem to really like the orange Lowepro Sport 200 AW. I most likely now appear in many, many photos from Sunday as people managed to get up nice and close to my backpack.

These are my better ones from the day.

Posted Image

IMG_4467 by MattWings, on Flickr

Posted Image

IMG_4459 by MattWings, on Flickr

Posted Image

IMG_4451 by MattWings, on Flickr

Posted Image

IMG_4422 by MattWings, on Flickr

Edited by The Tick

Yes I think the key there is that your bag is orange - they're naturally attracted to those sorts of colours. I really like the second shot, the composition and the shallow depth of field come together to focus the viewer on the butterfly's head :)

Thanks Mademan.

Was quite odd watching it try and eat the back of my hand. Having the proboscis fully extended and catching it straight (he was darting left and right with it) while trying to judge the DOF manually (I was on manual focus as my lens just went off on safari and wouldn't lock on anything so was moving the camera back and forth so as not to disturb the butterfly) and handheld ... I think that shot was more "arse than class".

BBF looked back over the photos as I was dropping them onto the iPad and he said:

BBF "Oh, you shot these at f/2.8"

Me: "yeah ... what were you shooting at?"

BBF: "f/8"

Felt like an idiot - that would have been so much easier. Like I said - more arse than class.

Learned a lot though. Will definitely try again with composition more in mind next time.

they look good Matt! you did well with the available light macro, not to mention nailing focus at f/2.8 and with all the people around!

i hope my photos turn out ok lol

it was really great catching up!

Edited by basketballfreak6

Look like the Pleiades down by the telegraph pole in the right. Perhaps the big bright one is the North Star. I'll look a the map when I'm back in Brisbane.

Great photos of the Northern Lights, two things I haven't seen, the Northern Lights and Iceland, jealous.

Thanks MT.

Yeah, it's got to be the Pleiades cluster and the northern star. I noticed the big dipper below it so that generally lines up.

Was that northern lights from your dslr? It was my favorite, was it like that all the time at night? You have a great talent man! My sister is a photographer full time for many many magazines, I feel you have the eye for this, great job - enjoying these very much.