Sign in to follow this  
fajw

recommend me a video card

I want a video card for a Windows XP box for games @ high resolution that won't run on 8.1. Any suggestions?

I'm assuming a C2D @ ~2.9 is good enough.

Depends what games, what you consider high resolution.

And what drivers still work on XP.

Let's assume the most demanding games that work with Windows XP but not with Windows 8.1.

2560x1440

GeForce 700 series works with Windows XP as does the Radeon R9 series.

Price range?

Plus I think it's like directx 9c is the highest xp runs

Edited by gamble

Actual resolution? Budget?

Previous gen high range cards tend to go cheap. I recently changed from a HD4870 up to HD5850.

At modest resolution (1440x900) it should run practically everything in XP so long as the DirectX requirements allow.

In my experience, CPU is often not the bottleneck with games - it's usually the graphics card or lack of system RAM.

The Tom's Hardware charts will usually give a good relative indicator of improvement that a prospective upgrade card will give.

If given the choice for similar performance/price, a later midrange card is probably preferable to an earlier high range card, the power consumption and heat output should be somewhat less.

Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual-X OC 2GB $229

Anyone see a problem with this? I think I read that you shouldn't go with the reference cooler but I don't know what that is.

Isn't a 2GB video card going to mean you can't use more than 2GB of system ram for the OS and game?

As Nich has pointed out, unless you have the 64bit XP, you're not going to see any use out of the 2GB video card. Also, AMD and nVidia phased out XP support a very long time ago so you'd probably won't have the shiny new card recognised either. So you'd probably be better off going and finding some of the older cards like the HD 4870 or the HD 5770. Nvidia will probably net you the GTX 260 to probably the GTX 460.

As Nich has pointed out, unless you have the 64bit XP, you're not going to see any use out of the 2GB video card.

Ye wouldn't bother with over a 1Gb card, that means you can run 3Gb on the PC (assuming a 32 bit version of XP).

Also, AMD and nVidia phased out XP support a very long time ago so you'd probably won't have the shiny new card recognised either. So you'd probably be better off going and finding some of the older cards like the HD 4870 or the HD 5770. Nvidia will probably net you the GTX 260 to probably the GTX 460.

Nvidia seem to support XP even on their newest cards, with certain limitations. AMD seems a bit schizoid as you get XP as an option for the latest cards but the release notes say

"Compatible Operating Systems

The latest version of the AMD Catalyst™ Software Suite, AMD Catalyst™ 13.9 is designed to support the following Microsoft Windows platforms:

Windows 8.1 (32 & 64-bit version)

Windows 8 (32 & 64-bit version)

Windows 7 (32 & 64-bit version with SP1 or higher)"

Possibly it would install the drivers on XP but not the Control centre/software suite stuff?

Also remembering that XP only supports DX9 (any hacks claiming to give XP DX10 support are pure bullshit).

Just tried the